Need help with iOS 6 install:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is NOT EASY. I've been at it for some time now and am about ready to call it quits. Jailbreak was MUCH easier.

That said, I registered my UDID (legal way) and followed ALL this instructions that were listed here: http://www.imore.com/2012/06/11/install-ios-6-beta-xcode-itunes/

I have been stuck at the the iTunes method (#2 direction) for some time, as my computer running Windows 7 will not open that Beta when I press Ctrl+Alt (even tried just the Shift key), but the only thing that opens when I press Restore is the actual option to restore. What can I do at this point to get this to work? :confused: I downloaded the Beta version from my FireFox browser. I can open the the window that shows that file but nothing happens. (I'm starting to wish I had left this alone).

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It says "DMG" in the widow box.

ok thats your problem. The .dmg and really all dev stuff is meant for Macs. You can install a beta on windows but it will take extra work. You need to remove the .dmg and make it a .ipsw file and that can be done with TransMac. They do offer a free trial. Just google them. This is what I use to do when I had windows and it works.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
ok thats your problem. The .dmg and really all dev stuff is meant for Macs. You can install a beta on windows but it will take extra work. You need to remove the .dmg and make it a .ipsw file and that can be done with TransMac. They do offer a free trial. Just google them. This is what I use to do when I had windows and it works.

Or just grab an ispw by other means....

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The iMore instruction page should have mentioned this for windows users. I've never used TransMac so I'm not sure what to do, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for trying to help guys. :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
A ipsw can probably be found on the net. Very slow downloads though. If you download from the portal, you will need a program like TransMac to strip the .dmg. Windows can't do it on its own.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The iMore instruction page should have mentioned this for windows users. I've never used TransMac so I'm not sure what to do, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for trying to help guys. :)

Yes they should have. I don't get involved on what is put up the blogs. I only help in the forums.

Reactions: Eileen89

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A ipsw can probably be found on the net. Very slow downloads though. If you download from the portal, you will need a program like TransMac to strip the .dmg. Windows can't do it on its own.
I looked at TransMac, they want $40 to download it. I already spent enough on this Dev account, not going to spend any more..... Hubby will kill me when he finds this out as it is, tech stuff is expensive. :eek:

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem using the iTunes Method, it won't let me to open to the .ipsw file, it just does the actual restore. Running Windows 7, latest itunes version.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem using the iTunes Method, it won't let me to open to the .ipsw file, it just does the actual restore. Running Windows 7, latest itunes version.
Yeah, I'm seeing the same after getting the correct ipsw link. Still won't open it. :(

I'm going out for a while, time to take a break. Maybe it will work when I come back. :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73