iOS 6: Who Gets Left Out?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to see the full list of which features are only available to people who own newer devices (ala Siri only on the 4S last year). The big one for me is that for the new Maps app, turn-by-turn directions and Flyover will only be available to those who own a 4S or newer device. I don't have plans to upgrade my device this year (yet) and while I'm pretty sure the iPhone 4 can run turn-by-turn--there are in fact already a number of App Store apps that offer it--it's fairly typical of Apple to deny older devices some of the best new features, whether or not the hardware differences justify it.

So: what else are older devices not going to be getting when iOS 6 drops?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just the certain maps stuff and I am sure there will be one or two things only the new iphone gets so to give a little incentive to buy that over a 4s or other iphone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why the iPhone 4 is getting left out. It should be fully capable of supporting Apples new Maps feature.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a bit upset that the iPad one isn't supported anymore. It is only two years old. I bought the new one but still kept the first one.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Maps: turn-by-turn & flyover will be on iPhone4S and iPad2 & later. This is per Apple - iOS 6 Preview - Maps -- footnote #1.
Right, that's what I mentioned in the first post. Or was there something else there that I'm missing?

I don't understand why the iPhone 4 is getting left out. It should be fully capable of supporting Apples new Maps feature.
Agreed. It's Siri all over again, and especially if they have the nerve to pull current turn by turn apps like they did with Siri. I don't think that will happen, but sometimes it's hard to tell with Apple.

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a strange feeling the 3GS will end up getting dropped by the time this beta process is done... the hardware just doesn't make for a pleasant experience with the resources necessary for the features OS 6 brings to the table

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
The 3G iPhone is NOT getting an update. Where did you get that? It stopped at 4.1.3 I believe.
This. The 3GS is supported, but that's only 3 years old. Also, like I said before, I feel support for it will get dropped by the end of the beta process as they start to add more functionality.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks that the iPhone 4 won't get the turn-by-turn navigation. Oddly enough I have a Motion X GPS Drive subscription that runs through July 2013... I think I'll be ready for an upgrade then, maybe the iPhone 5s or 6? :rolleyes:

ericg1840

Jan 6, 2009
Visit site
What is also strange is that the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are getting left out for FaceTime calling over cellular. I would assume its because the 4S will run on faster HSPA networks but not when it comes to verizon or sprint. Obviously the new iPad runs on LTE so that will be able to handle it

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
What is also strange is that the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are getting left out for FaceTime calling over cellular. I would assume its because the 4S will run on faster HSPA networks but not when it comes to verizon or sprint. Obviously the new iPad runs on LTE so that will be able to handle it

I missed that too. Geez. Guess I won't be seeing the new toys that I thought I would any time soon!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, it's a little ridiculous. More than a little, really, when Apple has already approved and currently sells apps that do the equivalent thing over 3G. To be honest this is the first time I've ever really felt let down as an Apple customer. I mean, what exactly does this "supported" device get that's particularly special? Take away the features mentioned above and iOS 6 begins to look like a pretty marginal update.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
If Apple still makes and promotes a device, it should be supported by new features. It's too bad they feel it's ok to do this to their customers. I understand some things may not work to Apple's satisfaction due to hardware issues but there are also plenty of things that could easily work on old hardware like the 3GS and 4 and they make a choice to leave them out. Using wireless carriers contract cycles as a way to not support devices they sell on their website feels cheap. Obviously it's been a wise business decision for them to act this way.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW