I'm curious to see the full list of which features are only available to people who own newer devices (ala Siri only on the 4S last year). The big one for me is that for the new Maps app, turn-by-turn directions and Flyover will only be available to those who own a 4S or newer device. I don't have plans to upgrade my device this year (yet) and while I'm pretty sure the iPhone 4 can run turn-by-turn--there are in fact already a number of App Store apps that offer it--it's fairly typical of Apple to deny older devices some of the best new features, whether or not the hardware differences justify it.

So: what else are older devices not going to be getting when iOS 6 drops?
    06-11-2012 06:28 PM
    Maps: turn-by-turn & flyover will be on iPhone4S and iPad2 & later. This is per Apple - iOS 6 Preview - Maps -- footnote #1.
    Last edited by kch50428; 06-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    06-11-2012 06:43 PM
    I bet a turn by turn hack will hit Cydia after 6 goes public..
    Sharma15 likes this.
    06-11-2012 06:55 PM
    Just the certain maps stuff and I am sure there will be one or two things only the new iphone gets so to give a little incentive to buy that over a 4s or other iphone.
    06-11-2012 06:55 PM
    I bet a turn by turn hack will hit Cydia after 6 goes public..
    One could have perfectly good and capable turn by turn right now. There are apps for that. Navigon is one. No hack needed
    06-11-2012 07:04 PM
    I don't understand why the iPhone 4 is getting left out. It should be fully capable of supporting Apples new Maps feature.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    redbeard likes this.
    06-11-2012 10:37 PM
    I am a bit upset that the iPad one isn't supported anymore. It is only two years old. I bought the new one but still kept the first one.
    06-11-2012 11:29 PM
    Maps: turn-by-turn & flyover will be on iPhone4S and iPad2 & later. This is per Apple - iOS 6 Preview - Maps -- footnote #1.
    Right, that's what I mentioned in the first post. Or was there something else there that I'm missing?

I don't understand why the iPhone 4 is getting left out. It should be fully capable of supporting Apples new Maps feature.
    Agreed. It's Siri all over again, and especially if they have the nerve to pull current turn by turn apps like they did with Siri. I don't think that will happen, but sometimes it's hard to tell with Apple.
    06-12-2012 12:35 AM
    I am a bit upset that the iPad one isn't supported anymore. It is only two years old. I bought the new one but still kept the first one.
    I reckon because it's not sold anymore.
    06-12-2012 12:37 AM
    I have a strange feeling the 3GS will end up getting dropped by the time this beta process is done... the hardware just doesn't make for a pleasant experience with the resources necessary for the features OS 6 brings to the table
    06-12-2012 12:57 AM
    So much for no fragmentation. Im not sure if Im going to want another iphone. Only thing that keeps me are the apps.
    06-12-2012 01:02 AM
    I reckon because it's not sold anymore.
    I get that but it's a little hard to swallow the 3G iPhone which is over 4 years old at least being supported but a two year old product not so much.
    06-12-2012 11:42 AM
    I get that but it's a little hard to swallow the 3G iPhone which is over 4 years old at least being supported but a two year old product not so much.
    The 3G iPhone is NOT getting an update. Where did you get that? It stopped at 4.1.3 I believe.
    06-12-2012 11:50 AM
    The 3G iPhone is NOT getting an update. Where did you get that? It stopped at 4.1.3 I believe.
    This. The 3GS is supported, but that's only 3 years old. Also, like I said before, I feel support for it will get dropped by the end of the beta process as they start to add more functionality.
    06-12-2012 11:55 AM
    Well that sucks that the iPhone 4 won't get the turn-by-turn navigation. Oddly enough I have a Motion X GPS Drive subscription that runs through July 2013... I think I'll be ready for an upgrade then, maybe the iPhone 5s or 6?
    06-12-2012 02:11 PM
    What is also strange is that the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are getting left out for FaceTime calling over cellular. I would assume its because the 4S will run on faster HSPA networks but not when it comes to verizon or sprint. Obviously the new iPad runs on LTE so that will be able to handle it
    06-12-2012 02:19 PM
    What is also strange is that the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are getting left out for FaceTime calling over cellular. I would assume its because the 4S will run on faster HSPA networks but not when it comes to verizon or sprint. Obviously the new iPad runs on LTE so that will be able to handle it
    I missed that too. Geez. Guess I won't be seeing the new toys that I thought I would any time soon!
    06-12-2012 02:41 PM
    Yeah, it's a little ridiculous. More than a little, really, when Apple has already approved and currently sells apps that do the equivalent thing over 3G. To be honest this is the first time I've ever really felt let down as an Apple customer. I mean, what exactly does this "supported" device get that's particularly special? Take away the features mentioned above and iOS 6 begins to look like a pretty marginal update.
    06-12-2012 03:07 PM
    I meant the 3GS- still messed up-
    06-12-2012 04:57 PM
    If Apple still makes and promotes a device, it should be supported by new features. It's too bad they feel it's ok to do this to their customers. I understand some things may not work to Apple's satisfaction due to hardware issues but there are also plenty of things that could easily work on old hardware like the 3GS and 4 and they make a choice to leave them out. Using wireless carriers contract cycles as a way to not support devices they sell on their website feels cheap. Obviously it's been a wise business decision for them to act this way.
    06-13-2012 01:10 PM
    Bought an iPhone 4 last year and with the new iOS many features won't be supported with my handset, im very upset with this new strategy and I don't think I will be installing the new IOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-13-2012 01:44 PM
    The iPhone 4 did not come with the same features as the iPhone 4S so it should not be surprised that iOS 6.0 will not be fully supportive on the basic iPhone 4. Get a iPhone 4S or the new iPhone and problem solved. I have an old 3G too, cost me a lot of money. Not is it an alarm clock in our bedroom. #$#@ Happens.
    06-13-2012 04:00 PM
    I hadnt previously caught that facetime over cellular was 4S and 5 only. That's kind of silly because the 4S on verizon runs on the exact same network as the 4, and no special hardware is needed to make it work. When I had to be away from a school conference in January because I was out of town, we used the jailbreak app 3G unrestrictor on my wife's phone so I could be there virtually via facetime. The school doesn't have the greatest signal, but it worked, even though the video was choppy. There's no reason at all to give this feature to the 4S but not the 4.
    06-14-2012 03:31 AM
    I sat in front of my macbook pro glossing over every inch of ios6. And on just about every turn as pleased. Was i amazed? Was is is WOW? no.

Lets be honest here...most of the things in ios6 were things we all thought should have been there in the first place. Facetime over 3G...um, should have been there from the get go (though i blame verizon and atnt for that one). An apple Map app...duh. Sleep setting for notifications...common, my old blackberry storm had a simplified version of that.

I was really waiting for the wow....then realized they are probably going to put all of their wow chips on the hardware side of iphone 5 (sorry...the new iphone).

For me i just wanted to be able to get what i was looking at on my iphone 4....

and i laughed at the jokes about android fragmentation

then i read the fine print

Not laughing anymore

Sorry apple...but in this economy...buying new hardware every single time just to get things we should have gotten in the first place....just makes you the new crank
    06-14-2012 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD