IOS6 new features.

MorphCase

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty content with the updates they listed. The passbook looks really cool. I would get a lot of use out of it. And all of the updates on Siri which is amazing!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I love how it says it is easy to update the phone wirelessly, yet you will need wifi to download and install it since apple has that stupid restriction and does not allow large downloads over cellular networks.

That's not a stupid restriction. Unlimited data plans are now almost non-existent, and 300MB downloads over 3G take a long time. The restriction exists for a reason, because the majority of people barely understand their data plan.

MorphCase

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know of any but I can't wait until I can download the update and check out all of the new advancements of Siri. It is awesome how you can open apps now and post to Facebook and twitter.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
It is awesome how you can open apps now

Yeah it's ok, but since I know where my apps are arranged (and I don't have a lot of apps), it's faster for me to open it manually. Now if someone has 10 pages worth of apps, yes I could see the need for SIri to help.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
what?? no mention of the fact that you can now add videos or photos while composing an email???

people should be celebrating in the streets!

I agree with you. This is a huge feature they Finally added. Yes, there are a few things about iOS that disappoint me. :) the email app is one that needs work. The improvements coming will help a lot.

SHO_ONE#IM

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how this will be taken, I'm not trolling as some might think/say; however I've gone trough a few different "OS's;" Web OS, Android and now IOS. I guess the point of that was to simply stipulate that I am not a fan boy of any OS, I'm more of tech / phone geek. With that said, I'd like to know how are these updates really any sort of updates at all? Maps are great; however Android has had maps forever. I understand why IOS would break from Google for maps, the ability to make money is important. Android has also had turn-by-turn since my HTC Hero.

I went into my AT&T store to play around with the Samsung S3 and I've gotta say, the Iphone is looking pretty basic guys.... help me understand why this is justifiable?!?! No fanboys please, this is an honest inquiry.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how this will be taken, I'm not trolling as some might think/say; however I've gone trough a few different "OS's;" Web OS, Android and now IOS. I guess the point of that was to simply stipulate that I am not a fan boy of any OS, I'm more of tech / phone geek. With that said, I'd like to know how are these updates really any sort of updates at all? Maps are great; however Android has had maps forever. I understand why IOS would break from Google for maps, the ability to make money is important. Android has also had turn-by-turn since my HTC Hero.

I went into my AT&T store to play around with the Samsung S3 and I've gotta say, the Iphone is looking pretty basic guys.... help me understand why this is justifiable?!?! No fanboys please, this is an honest inquiry.

Pick what you like best... There could be better phones and better systems for "you" and that is what is great, you have a choice. I don't like to take time trying to convince someone what phone or O/S they should choose.

ransonju

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I came to iOS from BlackBerry, so iOS is anything but basic to me - it's like night and day coming from Blackberry! After having a 4S for about 6 months now, I can't imagine going to Android based on the smoothness/responsiveness difference. My 4S is so smooth compared to even the high end Android (Jellybean included). I think it would bug me to switch to anything else at this point.

Can I see getting bored with iOS in a few years (with not many changes)? Yes, but the changes in iOS 6 are enough to keep me interested. Some of the changes are things I gave up coming from BlackBerry, so that makes me happy as well.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I wish there was a way to turn off turn by turn in the new maps. I tend to know where I am going and don't need to be told where to turn.

vvelvetelvis#CB

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site

i will say up front that i had a really bad experience with android. i had an atrix, well, 4 of them to be exact. not a good phone. but, if you really want to try android go with the nexus. its a straight android experience and with jelly bean looks to be a super phone. im not a fan of companies putting there twist on an o.s. it tends to way the o.s. down. i hope you get the phone you want and enjoy it.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site

iOS should have had turn-by-turn already. I think you can get it but it costs like $10. Should be free. I think phone geeks who are into specs are better off with Androids. iPhones are for the masses. They are pretty though.

GregStaten

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Genres in shared movie library?

I have several hundred movies shared via HomeSharing on my main computer system. When I access the library via the shared library option in the Videos app, I get a single alphabetical scrolling list of all the movies. Needless to say, it makes actually watching any of those shared movies a royal pain!

Have they added a Genre option in iOS6, similar to the way it works on the AppleTV so that we can more-easily navigate our movie libraries?

Thanks!
-greg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iOS should have had turn-by-turn already. I think you can get it but it costs like $10. Should be free. I think phone geeks who are into specs are better off with Androids. iPhones are for the masses. They are pretty though.

Turn by Turn nav apps have been available for a long time in the app store... some free, some pay... Google gives it away because they make money on data collected about you that they turn around and sell to 3rd parties - so in reality it's not free.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

It's perfectly justifiable because not everybody wants to learn how to use Android. The best device for a person isn't the one that has the most features, or runs the fastest. Remember WebOS and the Pre? Want security, really fast email, and great phone reception? Blackberry is still the king, They probably won't exist as a phone maker in a few years, most likely licensing their tech to other companies.

Obviously, the smartphone buying public has decided the feature set in iOS is "good enough." Does Android have more features, probably. Does Blackberry offer better security? Definitely. The thing is, the typical iOS user doesn't care. There's a fine line between features and ease of use. Add too many features, tech becomes a pain in the arse to use (Android). Not enough, and it's obsolete (Blackberry). Apple's done a pretty good job of walking that line.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's perfectly justifiable because not everybody wants to learn how to use Android. The best device for a person isn't the one that has the most features, or runs the fastest. Remember WebOS and the Pre? Want security, really fast email, and great phone reception? Blackberry is still the king, They probably won't exist as a phone maker in a few years, most likely licensing their tech to other companies.

Obviously, the smartphone buying public has decided the feature set in iOS is "good enough." Does Android have more features, probably. Does Blackberry offer better security? Definitely. The thing is, the typical iOS user doesn't care. There's a fine line between features and ease of use. Add too many features, tech becomes a pain in the arse to use (Android). Not enough, and it's obsolete (Blackberry). Apple's done a pretty good job of walking that line.

This is the point that Rene Ritchie made in a blog post a couple of weeks ago about how iOS isn't really
for "geeks", so to speak. Apple wants it to be easy to use, out of the box. They don't want to cloud the
OS with so much $hit that the typical user won't understand. I agree completely.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am a geek, I have been a geek, heck, I used to work on Mainframes and Minicomputers. I prefer Apple iOS / iPhones and iPads, because in this case I want something that works out of the box, had the software (apps) I need and I know next year it will still work.

I don't even Jailbreak as the fun tweaks are not that important to ME.

If you like to tweak and play and program and hack and jailbreak and modify and like Android, go do it.. Just because you like it and think it is a better choice for that reason does not mean others will follow your logic. Enjoy, have fun and etc..

coolqf

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I've had android since android 2.2 and up to 4.1. The latest was with Galaxy Nexus. When you get an android phone and it has the latest OS, it feels and runs great. The google apps are also fantastic. The OSes for android phones have a horrible half life, however. Apps also take longer to be compatible with the latest OS as well as phone OS updates are generally 6-12 months behind on releasing a phone with the latest OS or manufacturers upgrading their phones to it.

While there are a few months that an android phone feels better than iOS this quickly gets undone due to fragmentation. I updated my nexus to the latest android and some apps started acting up....

Trust

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I used an iphone 3G, 3GS and then jumped ship to the HTC Evo 4G and went full on OCD with Android to the point where I was modifying ROMS to fit my needs (replacing apks, kernels etc). After 1.5 years of Android I went back to the iphone again.

Apple has a lot of pull around the industry. Why do you think most new cars come with iPhone/iPod interface jacks that allow you to control your music with your steering wheel while Android/Winmo phones are stuck using the Aux out Jack or Bluetooth (recently)?

The quality of apps on the iPhone are much better than their Android counterparts. Especially the games and no Im not talking about Angry birds. Go look at Infinity Blade, Dungeon Hunter, Real Racing. Android can't touch those and due to the fragmentation of Android Devices a lot of developers won't touch that platform.

As cliche as it sounds iphone "just works". You never need to pull the battery or reboot (unless a major update is happening).

The Apple eco-system is far more superior. I have an iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and all 3 of them talk to each other in some way or another. It's seemless.

it's not always about putting 1 phone against the other. You have to take everything into consideration.

P.S. When I left my HTC Evo 4G I gave up the 4.3" screen, 4G connectivity and turn by turn navigation in the process but I was so sick of Android I didnt care.

Well, come the new iphone I will get back some of that screen size (assuming it really is 4.0"), LTE connectivity AND turn by turn navigation. I'm officially excited about it. :)

poiman

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, come the new iphone I will get back some of that screen size (assuming it really is 4.0"), LTE connectivity AND turn by turn navigation. I'm officially excited about it. :)

Interesting how you get excited with the fact that what's new in the new iPhone are all features that have been on several other smartphones for a year or more...
Will the new iPhone really bring something NEW? It would be nice if it did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro