Grouping Contacts in Mail: A Solution?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So I know that people have long said that iOS doesn't do email groups in the native app, and I've been looking for a solution to use for lists we email at work. After looking at a few 3rd party solutions I was underwhelmed.

BUT! I then ran across a suggestion that seems to work in the native app: by adding a new contact (say "Group ABC")and then adding all the email addresses in the same email field within the Contacts app--each one separated by a comma--it seems to work. The only hiccup I've noticed is that when I then choose the contact name as the recipient in the Mail app, iOS pops up a warning saying it doesn't appear to be a properly formatted address. However, if you choose Send Anyway, everything seems to work.

So far I've only done this once, so I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences doing group emails this way. What say you, iMore?

john.woody

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You could try Mail2group from the App Store. You create groups of contacts in your normal contacts, then use the mail2group app to send an e mail to a group of your choice.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You could try Mail2group from the App Store. You create groups of contacts in your normal contacts, then use the mail2group app to send an e mail to a group of your choice.

We looked at that one, but it seemed to me that each one of the group contacts was also added as a separate entry into your regular contacts list, which we don't want. (Our contact list is a list of wholesale vendors, and the group emails are for customers. Adding a few GroupABC contacts is okay, but I don't want to add each email as a separate entry in the Contacts app. Hope that's clear.) Thanks for the suggestion.

At any rate, I'm happy with the native solution--I just posted this to see if anyone else had any experience doing it this way.

Nancy Zizzy

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I used the mail2group app very well if the group was small, 13 contacts or less. I wanted to FORWARD an email to a group. This is how I did it, (shown to me by a tech at the Apple Store in Richmond VA).
I selected an email from my email account and copied it, then went into mail2group. After creating a group, I created a new email in there and pasted the message there. The "To" box then had 13 contacts from my group in there and sent the new email very well. However, I found that the group only sent 13 of the contacts in the group. My question is "does the group have a limit to the number of contacts it will hold?"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2