Can I get iOS 5.1 back??

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I really want 5.1 back. 5.1.1 is just killing my battery life. Is there a site or something with old iOS versions somewhere. Or if that's not possible if I get a new iphone will it have 5.1 on it or 5.1.1?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
only if you have saved your 5.1 shsh blobs, which i'm assuming you have not

i'm sure there are plenty of phones out there with 5.1

just curious, have you tried Restoring as new iPhone? NO backup whatsoever..

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
only if you have saved your 5.1 shsh blobs, which i'm assuming you have not

i'm sure there are plenty of phones out there with 5.1

just curious, have you tried Restoring as new iPhone? NO backup whatsoever..
i don't really know what all that means but i just found a website...i'm downloading 5.1 now

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i don't really know what all that means but i just found a website...i'm downloading 5.1 now

What BLiNK meant was, when you usb your iphone into your computer to sync, theres a 'restore' tab below your summary info. You can click that and have it wipe and reload the 5.1.1 software AND DON'T use your last back up because there may be something in it thats corrupt causing your huge battery drain.

Instead, use iCloud to put back your contacts & calendar. Keep an eye on your phone, then one by one start adding back 1 app at a time to see how your phone reacts. But don't add all your apps back at once, leave a couple of days inbetween so you can see how your phone behaves with the one app you loaded. then if thats fine, move onto another and keep eye on it, etc.

Especially if you loaded 5.1.1 thru the OTA option....that could screw with your battery life if just the necessary files it needed didn't 'sit' right. Know what i mean?

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
my spidey sense tells me that the OP was unsuccessful at downgrading to 5.1

Me too...Isn't the purpose of the blobs to get a specific iOS load matched with the phone SN and without that match, the downgrade won't work?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
SHSH blob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SHSH blobs is a Hash signature system (Signature HaSH blobs) made by Apple Inc. to control manual software downgrades on iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches (a typical prelude to Jailbreaking). An SHSH is created by an SHSH formula (CLI Application) with 3 or 4 TSS keys- the device (e.g. iPhone 4 CDMA), the firmware version being signed (e.g. 4.2.8) and the device's ECID- a unique ID contained within every device. The SHSH is a Plist, built with blobs, with each blob intended for a different part of the software (like kernel and Apple logo). These blobs control which firmware is restorable and which is not. When Apple wishes to restrict users' ability to "downgrade" their devices to a prior firmware version, Apple can simply refuse to generate this hash during the downgrade attempt, and the downgrade will not be successful (or at the very least, will require significant technical intervention).

this is why IF he, or anyone else, did not save shsh blobs while on the desired firmware, and while Apple is still signing, downgrading will NEVER happen

furthermore, this is not exclusively for jailbreakers. anyone can do this

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
SHSH blob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is why IF he, or anyone else, did not save shsh blobs while on the desired firmware, and while Apple is still signing, downgrading will NEVER happen

furthermore, this is not exclusively for jailbreakers. anyone can do this

Blink I made a thread on downgrading in the jailbreak and unlock section, and I have all the requisites, yet cannot downgrade. I tired to message you, but your too popular and your inbox is full! Can you check out my thread and see if you have any advice for me?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73