Update to 5.1.1 really necessary?

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
going from 5.0.1 I decided to update for the few added features - like iPhoto and the web address spoofing security update. I don't know that there's a compelling reason to update if you're already jailbroken and untethered on 5.1?

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 4S is still on 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak and I'm happy with it. I don't really see a reason to update since you can get tweaks to replace the features the update brings. It's also a pain in the butt to update and backup all your cydia apps and stuff and then jailbreaking again. I honestly don't think it's worth it since I'm happy to be on 5.0.1 as of now. So if you're happy with your device now and are lazy like me and don't want to update and re-jailbreak, I'd stick with 5.1. Or if you simply can't live with an update being out and you not having it, do it. :)

Last edited:

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't think it's worth it since I'm happy to be on 5.0.1 as of now. So if you're happy with your device now and are lazy like me and don't want to update and re-jailbreak, I'd stick with 5.1. Or if you simply can't live with an update being out and you not having it, do it. :)

It sure is a pain took me all day to get my stuff back on the multiple devices.

demonio

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
About the only reason I've been wanting to update to 5.1.1 is to see if that would fix a pesky bug that is making Safari crash when I zoom in on a text entry box. Has anyone else had that problem?

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 4S is still on 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak and I'm happy with it. I don't really see a reason to update since you can get tweaks to replace the features the update brings. It's also a pain in the butt to update and backup all your cydia apps and stuff and then jailbreaking again. I honestly don't think it's worth it since I'm happy to be on 5.0.1 as of now. So if you're happy with your device now and are lazy like me and don't want to update and re-jailbreak, I'd stick with 5.1. Or if you simply can't live with an update being out and you not having it, do it. :)

Xbackup costs like a buck and will redownload your Cydia packages and sources. Everything will most likely fall back into place once you restore through xbackup. My apps and folders all re appeared exactly how I had them.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
personally, i gained on an average about 1-1.5 hours usage of battery life per day

that alone IS worth it to me. of course, ymmv

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
personally, i gained on an average about 1-1.5 hours usage of battery life per day

that alone IS worth it to me. of course, ymmv

About an hour max increase for me. Usually more like 45 minutes. I agree that it is the best reason to upgrade.

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I updated to use the HDMI adapter I use for my iPad with my phone. Battery life took a nose dive though. Watching the phone on my TV is great and I guess worth the hit on battery performance, I just bought a car charger and carry a wall and car charger with me everywhere now.