anyone thinking of switching from Spotify to Sony's Music Unlimited?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
*i was unsure where to put this so i will let the mods make that determination..

Sony expands Music Unlimited, its hopeful Spotify killer, to iPhone and iPod Touch

Sony helps to challenge Spotify by offering Music Unlimited, its own streaming-music service, on iPods and iPhones starting May 25.

Chasing Spotify?s success is no small task. Navigating the countless music licenses alone is a perilous and headache-inducing proposition, but Sony continues to believe that there is room for one more music streaming service. On Tuesday, the company announced the release of its Music Unlimited app for the iPhone and iPod Touch, slated to be launched this Friday, May 25.

?With the proliferation of connected devices, consumers expect complete access to their digital entertainment and demand a consistent experience regardless of the device,? Tim Schaaff, President of Sony Network Entertainment International, said in a statement. ?Bringing the Music Unlimited service to iPhone and iPod touch is one of the many ways we are able to reach more music lovers around the world while ensuring the same level of high-quality entertainment that is associated with the overall Sony Entertainment Network experience.?

Music Unlimited has thus far been running on Android, PlayStation 3 and Vita, and home theater mediums including Bravia TVs. On Friday it will be finally made available for iOS users, short of the iPad, although rumors have it that an iPad app is in the works. The app itself is free to download, and can be used up to 30 days without a subscription.

Unlike Spotify, which offers users a basic plan to stream music for free (with ads and restrictions) Music Unlimited offers two paid subscription plans ? one for $9.99 per month and the other for $3.99. The more expensive plan offers users the freedom to listen to Sony?s entire 15 million track library without restrictions. The cheaper, $3.99 plan restricts users to predetermined channels, which can be skipped without limitations. To listen to individual tracks, Music Unlimited requires that a user to own the track and sync it with Sony?s catalogue.

?With the addition of the new iPhone and iPod touch app, users with a Basic or Premium subscription can listen to their favorite songs across a number of the most popular connected devices ? in and out of the home,? said Michael Aragon, Vice President and General Manager of Digital Video and Music Services, Sony Network Entertainment International.

While Spotify currently offered in 15 countries after having added Australia and New Zealand just yesterday, Music Unlimited offers its services in 14 countries. For Canadians and Italians, Music Unlimited may be a viable alternative to Spotify, which isn?t offered in those two countries.

Unfortunately, the competition is about to get more crowded as Samsung has expressed its own intention to compete with Spotify after Samsung?s purchase of Mspot. It should be interesting to witness how Music Unlimited and its competitors intend to compete with Spotify, the dominant foe in the music-streaming space.

my monthly subscription with Spotify expires the 28th so perfect timing for me. i'll be getting the 9.99 plan

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so far i am liking it! sound quality is good, the UI can use a little work.. still seeing what it is all about

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice avatar/name btw haha. I'm a blink fan too. I have an app called OnlinePro. Let's me choose pretty much any song and listen to it. That and having pandora and it fills my music needs for the most part.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks, haha! Blink is Legendary! never heard of OnlinePro but definitely Pandora. i am definitely a sucker for new stuff

one thing i like is everything syncs to my PS3 as well so that has been working great! and the fact that it really is like Pandora & Spotify mashed together, but better!

Reactions: BreakingKayfabe

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would do the same with their Zune music service. I have their original offering where I get 10 free DRM-free downloads a month, on top of the unlimited streaming and downloads of their entire music library on any device that has the Zune music application.

I have a windows phone device, but there are times I do not want to carry 3 devices (especially going to the gym).

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
for me, it works out great. i have my PS3 in a room that gets used often and the syncing between my computer, PS3 and iPhone works flawlessly (premium subscription)

today is my last day of my monthly subscription with Spotify (premium) and i am not renewing

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Gotta see how the sound quality is, but don't think I'll be leaving for this. If anything, I'll replace Spotify with MOG... everything I see points to it being the better of the three major services (Spotify, MOG, Rdio).

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I never had spotify but I just signed up for the 30 day free trial of music unlimited and so far I love it I think I'll keep it seems to be worth the money. I was using pandora and I got sick and tired of adds and only 5 skips. Music unlimited gets a thumbs up from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That's true but no ability to actually pick a song or album and you can make playlists on music unlimited. With pandora your kinda at the mercy of what they wanna play unless you want to skip a bunch of songs to find one you actually wanna listen to.

agreed. however, Pandora is my preferred radio only app. Pandora Downloader makes it 300000x better :D

BOOM!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
not liking their rotation on music channels so far. if i listen to a channel for a long time i tend to hear the same song twice, sometimes 3

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I feel obligated to let you guys know after using music unlimited for a bit now that it sucks. I kept getting error after error and finally got fed up and I'm done with it. I got MOG and it's WAY better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I feel obligated to let you guys know after using music unlimited for a bit now that it sucks. I kept getting error after error and finally got fed up and I'm done with it. I got MOG and it's WAY better!
Any experience with Spotify? Only service I would even think about dropping Spotify for is MOG.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so i decided to NOT use Music Unlimited for two reasons:

1) cannot get over the fact that for some reason the rotation in their channels was horrible. i should not hear the same song twice within a couple of hours

2) for some reason i thought i could listen to my music while doing "other" things on my PS3, that is not possible

maybe i'll try it again if these things get corrected, if not then oh well. hats off to Sony for giving a 30 premium trial though. should be that way with all of them

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR