The BB guys have been flaunting their BBM for ages. Perhaps, it is time for Apple to come up with an answer. There have been rumors but I really wish to see some substantial development.
    04-22-2012 03:43 PM
    iMessage was supposed to be that answer but it's not exactly a great answer at the moment.
    04-22-2012 04:11 PM
    BBM works only with Blackberrys. iMessage works only with iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches, and Macs using the iMessage beta. Seems iOS is already ahead of the game. Not sure what you would want.
    04-22-2012 05:59 PM
    BBM works only with Blackberrys. iMessage works only with iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches, and Macs using the iMessage beta. Seems iOS is already ahead of the game. Not sure what you would want.
    No joke, I'd take iMessage over BBM any day. What does BBM have that iMessage doesn't? Contact pictures? Big deal.
    04-22-2012 06:10 PM
    The groups are a big part of it and being able to block people. Also being able to give out a set of digits and not your phone number or email address is a major benefit.
    dublex likes this.
    04-22-2012 09:56 PM
    Didn't use it when I had a BB way back when and I don't use iMessage now. Don't know that many people with iPads and these email and texting. Guess I just don't get it... Why should there be a limit on who you can communicate with?
    04-23-2012 12:35 AM
    Maybe the whole anonymous texting (BBM number) is something younger people like. We old people either give our phone numbers to someone or we don't want to talk to them. Why bother blocking strangers?
    04-23-2012 06:38 AM
    It's not always about blocking strangers, sometimes the need arises for blocking people who contact you unnecessarily or incessantly. The fact is that having to completely dissociate an email address because someone won't stop contacting your iMessage ID is an oversight.
    04-23-2012 10:56 AM
    The BB guys have been flaunting their BBM for ages. Perhaps, it is time for Apple to come up with an answer. There have been rumors but I really wish to see some substantial development.
    iMessage seems to be fine.
    04-23-2012 12:23 PM
    I agree. iMessage needs some major improvements. I have issues that I've never had with texting because of iMessage, mainly group chats, which right now, sucks on iMessage. Statuses and availability would also be a cool addition.
    04-23-2012 03:34 PM
    I agree. iMessage needs some major improvements. I have issues that I've never had with texting because of iMessage, mainly group chats, which right now, sucks on iMessage. Statuses and availability would also be a cool addition.
    Yes there are also random times when I can't iMessage an iPhone user's number but their email works fine.
    04-23-2012 05:35 PM
    I'll tell you one improvement iMessage needs. If someone blocks a certain number from texting them through their carrier, it should remain that way. Unless the person completely turns off iMessage, that blocked person can still text (iMessage) them if they're texting through an iPhone.
    05-02-2012 07:56 PM
    No joke, I'd take iMessage over BBM any day. What does BBM have that iMessage doesn't? Contact pictures? Big deal.
    Me too and it works on wifi, not sure if bbm does or not?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
    05-02-2012 08:56 PM
    Me too and it works on wifi, not sure if bbm does or not?

BBM does work over wifi.
    sherlock likes this.
    05-02-2012 09:40 PM
    BBM does work over wifi.
    I'm happy to admit I had no idea.

05-02-2012 09:42 PM
    I'm sure iMessage will eventually have the social stature of BBM.

I love everything about iMessage, except for the lack of "groups". And by groups, I don't mean group messaging, although I do love that too. I do of course mean groups of the BBM variety.

The idea of a dedicated room to chat about a certain subject and share content about said subject, with a large group of people, just added a great deal of depth to the whole platform messaging thing.

I can guarantee iMessage will eventually go that route. And, when it does, I will welcome it with open thumbs.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    dublex likes this.
    05-03-2012 11:01 AM
    It's not always about blocking strangers, sometimes the need arises for blocking people who contact you unnecessarily or incessantly. The fact is that having to completely dissociate an email address because someone won't stop contacting your iMessage ID is an oversight.
    I agree, definitely.
    05-03-2012 11:03 AM

I love everything about iMessage, except for the lack of "groups". And by groups, I don't mean group messaging, although I do love that too. I do of course mean groups of the BBM variety.

The idea of a dedicated room to chat about a certain subject and share content about said subject, with a large group of people, just added a great deal of depth to the whole platform messaging thing.

I can guarantee iMessage will eventually go that route. And, when it does, I will welcome it with open thumbs.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    We can only hope so! I sure miss those features and considering everyone has an iOS devices just like everyone had a BB, that would be great.
    05-03-2012 11:05 AM

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    thiiiissssssssss.
    05-03-2012 03:07 PM
    At the moment whats app is closest to BBM. But the speed, features and bandwidth makes BBM special altogether.
    05-03-2012 04:11 PM
    the groups feature of BBM was fun at first, but slowly got old after awhile. groups were limited to 30 members, so it made it useless to some extent to join the groups that people "advertise" on crackberry for certain things. i mean, personally, i dont wanna be in a group with 29 other strangers. a bunch of my friends had a group together with like 20 people, but people kept dropping out of it and others left because they got an iphone. once there were 5 people left, we just deleted the group. the actual fun of it only lasted a month or two. it was actually a pain in the butt. i dont even care if imessage never gets groups. all i care about is the fact it offers means of sending a picture and can work over wifi instead of cellular data. thats a huge plus. sure it was nice being able to trade PINs with someone, but half the BB morons out there who would get new phones every 3 weeks after they lose or break them, would never update their contacts properly. so you go to BBM someone, only to find out the PIN is no longer in service. it just got old having to delete old contacts and re-add them again just because they couldnt back up their list and restore it right. im kind of glad those days are over. restoring a BBM list could be a pain half the time. i loved BBM, and BB in general. but i dont miss it one bit. and i DONT think we need anything else then what we already have. imessage suits my needs just fine.
    05-04-2012 05:29 AM
    Isn't that what iMessage is supposed to serve as?
    05-04-2012 09:05 AM
    I wish it was easier to send voice memos using imessage..
    dublex likes this.
    05-08-2012 09:24 AM
    I like imessage. i never really used bbm, i thought it was a joke like AIM. Plus, I don't have an unlimited text plan so imessage helps me out there. It could use an upgrade though
    05-08-2012 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD