Clear Data and documents in App

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The doc/data you probably see in the FB app is from any pics you may have uploaded from your phone. Have you uploaded any pics?

to clear your cache, go settings/safari--scroll down to clear history and clear cookies/data. tap both. You also could go down to 'advanced'/'website data' and in there you'll see a red tab bar to clear it out. tap that to clear it. this may help also.

liewss80

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I did view photo, upload/download fr FB via FB app. Not safari. So, I guess clearing safari cache won't help to clear FB app data.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I did view photo, upload/download fr FB via FB app. Not safari. So, I guess clearing safari cache won't help to clear FB app data.

clearing the cache in safari may help, try what i posted above and see if it does - that amount of data your seeing in the FB app itself is prob the pics/posts you've uploaded thru it. Basically if you cleared that out, if I'm not mistaken, you'd also clear them off of the FB as well. I'm not 100% sure on that tho as I don't use FB.

(edited to correct post wording)

Last edited:

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
No, clearing safari won't help - that amount of data your seeing in the FB app itself is the pics you've uploaded thru it. Basically if you cleared that out, if I'm not mistaken, you'd also clear them off of the FB as well. I'm not 100% sure on that tho as I don't use FB.

Isn't the 600mb mostly just the cache though? Because on my iPhone 4S, Tweetbot has about 70mb of documents & data. So it's not app specific.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the 600mb mostly just the cache though? Because on my iPhone 4S, Tweetbot has about 70mb of documents & data. So it's not app specific.

Honestly Alex, i'm not sure because i don't use FB at all. My theory is I was thinking along the lines of apps that hold certain doc/data info. In example, a game may be 15mb to dwld, but then once you start playing and the scores store themselves 'in' the app, that amount will increase. I'd guess if you clear out the doc/data for that game you'd lose your scores/progress. I'm guessing the FB app may be the same in perspective on when you upload pics.

But, like i said, i'm not 100% sure as i don't use FB at all.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Testing clearing safari cache. Doesn't help. Some1 fr other forum suggested me remove FB and reinstall. Is that a good idea?

It'll clear out that 600mb of extra data for now, but after a while it'll probably get saved up. I think all that is a mixture of cache, pics (being uploaded/viewed etc.), and logging in/out etc.

liewss80

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Is that means I've to Delete the app and reinstall from time to time? This happens to other apps as well. Increasing space taken for data.

jpena53

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ive asked this question before and I believe that iOS does it on its own. Besides that you can delete and reinstall which is a pain.

For example, if you are running out of free space the OS will cannibalize the cached data from Facebook or other apps, why almost any app needs to cache data is beyond me. If it was a GPS program then I would understand but FB is idiotic.

ZeTaBYTeS

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think logoff and re-login FB app will clear the cache. At least that's what happening on my new iPad that my wife and I shares.

anon(4718837)

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have multiple apps that are taking up so much space because of the data they are somehow storing. I had a wallpaper app that was storing about 1 gb of data. I wasn't even saving any of the wallpapers. All I would do is click to view the wallpaper and it would somehow store data. Is this a bug or is this normal?

I started a thread about it on another forum. I thought I was the only one having this problem. Here's the link to that thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1349164

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

anon(4742778)

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
How to clear data and documents of app in ios without removing the app?
For eg:
View attachment 14343

This app is only 16mb but the data took almost 600mb. How to clear it off?
It cleans itself after some time. When it does, the icon will be greyed out and it will say "cleaning...". You used to be able to delete an individual apps data in early builds of the iOS 5 beta.