I have had "Newstand" hidden in a folder and now I just realized since 5.1 is out it has now been brought back to my main screen......and for the life of me I cannot get it to go back into any folders.

03-16-2012 06:52 AM
    Still hidden for me
    03-16-2012 06:56 AM
    mine was hidden up until this morning.
    03-16-2012 07:27 AM
    It was a bug.....creating nested folders in an operating system that did not support nesting folders. Be glad they patched it!
    03-16-2012 07:51 AM
    0pus, did you reboot your iPhone by any chance? If so, that would have caused it to show up.

I'm still in 5.0.1 but could never get it to hide in a folder, SO I've just learned to deal with it, and stuck it on the last page of my apps, very last in line lol.
    0pusX likes this.
    03-16-2012 07:52 AM
    ^ I was never able to put mine in a folder either, Pink. So I just moved it to a page that I like to call "Junk" and forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    03-16-2012 08:56 AM
    ^ I was never able to put mine in a folder either, Pink. So I just moved it to a page that I like to call "Junk" and forget about it.

Rose, i'm surprised your not able to. Being jb'en i figured you could 'get away' with more, lol.
    03-16-2012 09:02 AM
    Rose, i'm surprised your not able to. Being jb'en i figured you could 'get away' with more, lol.
    Meh, I only tried once and when it didn't work, I decided that it really wasn't worth the effort since I wouldn't have to see it on my junk page anyway.

03-16-2012 09:14 AM
    Meh, I only tried once and when it didn't work, I decided that it really wasn't worth the effort since I wouldn't have to see it on my junk page anyway.

yea, i hear ya. i tried once myself and that was it. I fig'd its 'really' not meant to pull that little stunt, so i fig'd messing with it further might of caused an issue--so i just left it be too.
    03-16-2012 09:25 AM
    Mine stayed put in its folder like a good little app. Wonder if updating OTA had anything to do with it? Oh yeh TGIF everyone!!
    03-16-2012 09:40 AM
    because i am a conspiracy theorist, i believe Apple is trying to force us to actually use Newsstand. sneaky-sneaky

then again, i also believe we did not land on the moon so i am a little off-kilter... or am i??
    03-16-2012 05:08 PM
    because i am a conspiracy theorist, i believe Apple is trying to force us to actually use Newsstand. sneaky-sneaky

then again, i also believe we did not land on the moon so i am a little off-kilter... or am i??

03-16-2012 05:42 PM
    Newsstand is a little niggling pain in the butt, but I'm guessing Apple is keeping it front and centre as its a direct income source for them. That said, they could have made it part of iBooks - like the newsstand service is in the Kobo Reader - but in fine Apple tradition, they know better than we what we really want. Apparently.

Having to hide an icon on its own page simply going to drive the more anal of us nuts and is not a solution.

Then again, Apple is only too happy to release a new iPad that no one needs, but can't be bothered to fix the iOS's obvious 'issues' - add to Newsstand: Reminders (no view by date) and Mail (still no ability to add attachment from program) to name but two.

Hardly intuitive, Apple - but then, you rely on other developers for that now, don't you?
    Last edited by Bazza1; 03-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    03-16-2012 07:53 PM
    Jailbroken and using NoNewsIsGoodNews to lose newsstand.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y1t1zn
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-16-2012 09:57 PM
    I would delete that app if I could, I can't say I've never used it, because I did use it that one time when I decided that that would be the last time that I would ever use it again. But I have not updated to iOS 5.1 which is totally against my morals, but I'm feeling so good about it right now. I just keep getting more reasons not to upgrade.
    03-16-2012 11:14 PM
    I updated to 5.1 yesterday and mine is still hidden in a folder even after a reboot this morning.
    03-17-2012 02:22 PM
    I have had "Newstand" hidden in a folder and now I just realized since 5.1 is out it has now been brought back to my main screen......and for the life of me I cannot get it to go back into any folders.

I feel for you - the news stand is really annoying to me for some reason. As a note, for those of you that are jailbroken I believe it's SBSettings that will hide any icon, including stock Apple ones.
    03-17-2012 04:16 PM
    Sorry. But you shouldn't need to hack the iOS to get rid of an app.

I can understand a manufacturer locking down the actual operating system for security reasons, but to prevent a user from choosing how their device looks and what program software is on it is simply not on.

But again, its a case of Apple underlining that these things are nothing more than content delivery devices to their iTunes Store and were not really intended to be as useful as they have become. And they know best - or so they have us believe.
    I read somewhere that Jobs initially wanted the iOS to be a completely closed environment - no 3rd Party apps available at all. Others dissuaded him of this. Can you imagine how far the iPhone / iPad would have gone if limited to Apple software?
    03-17-2012 09:49 PM
    I read somewhere that Jobs initially wanted the iOS to be a completely closed environment - no 3rd Party apps available at all. Others dissuaded him of this. Can you imagine how far the iPhone / iPad would have gone if limited to Apple software?
    Jesus Christ! not very far i'd imagine.. and anyone that stayed would truly be drinking the kool-aid

not too mention the jailbreak community would probably out number the "pure" users
    03-18-2012 12:26 AM
    Jesus Christ! not very far i'd imagine.. and anyone that stayed would truly be drinking the kool-aid

not too mention the jailbreak community would probably out number the "pure" users
    Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-18-2012 12:49 AM
    The ability to hide system apps <-- my most requested feature since iOS 2.0 (when it wasn't even called iOS back then).

Hopefully maybe probably in 6.0?
    03-18-2012 04:37 AM
    The ability to hide system apps <-- my most requested feature since iOS 2.0 (when it wasn't even called iOS back then).

Hopefully maybe probably in 6.0?
    I would love to have this. But, as we all know, Apple would never allow it.
    06-05-2012 02:05 PM
    This calls for Jailbreak. Just jailbreak it and get rid of the thing all together.

I really cannot tolerate Newstand. They really want you to use it. But I said no, and I mean it.
    06-05-2012 03:28 PM
    You can use iconcontrol on Cydia from the source: cydia.xsellize.com
    06-05-2012 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD