iOS 5.1 Bugs/Issues/Findings

Xo.pink.xo

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint and noticed a changed in the signal strength. I am getting 4 and 5 bars where before 5.1, it would go back and forth between 2/3 bars and keep changing every few seconds. With the 5.1 update, it stays at a steady strength. I'm very happy with this update.

*Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk*

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My battery is bleeding. I had it charging overnight in Airplane mode. Took it off at 100% at 6am, turned off airplane mode at 7am, it's at 95% already, and I have sent and received a total of 5 texts, otherwise it's been sitting unused the rest of the time...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any apps running in the background? Is your email set to 'fetch' often? Do you have an RSS reader set to sync often? I know you said that it was being unused, however, some people may view the streaming of audio as not using their device, so with that in mind, are streaming audio?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any apps running in the background? Is your email set to 'fetch' often? Do you have an RSS reader set to sync often? I know you said that it was being unused, however, some people may view the streaming of audio as not using their device, so with that in mind, are streaming audio?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Also do you have your location services turned on? That can drain a battery pretty quickly. Anything like weather apps or maps can use your auto locate quite frequently to gather data.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have "push email" with that Gmail Exchange, and I've gotten none today so far.

I do not stream, ever, anything period. I don't RSS either, ever, period. I haven't turned on facebook. I kill apps immediately after using. I never leave anything open or running. I haven't done anything with it at all besides 5 total texts.

I also have no location services on besides Find my iPhone, ever. Period. I don't allow it for any apps.

No Wifi, ever. No BT, ever. No Siri, ever (stupidest f'ing thing ever btw)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have "push email" with that Gmail Exchange, and I've gotten none today so far.

I do not stream, ever, anything period. I don't RSS either, ever, period. I haven't turned on facebook. I kill apps immediately after using. I never leave anything open or running. I haven't done anything with it at all besides 5 total texts.

I also have no location services on besides Find my iPhone, ever. Period. I don't allow it for any apps.

No Wifi, ever. No BT, ever. No Siri, ever (stupidest f'ing thing ever btw)

I would do a full reset and then set my device as new and if the problem persists then I recommend you take it to a nearby Apple store.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

gary1949

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
While we're talking about location services . . . I've got a question. Does the location service need to be on for apps like Weather HD or Tom Tom (navigation) in order to work? Seems like the apps would need to know where you are to work . . . correct?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While we're talking about location services . . . I've got a question. Does the location service need to be on for apps like Weather HD or Tom Tom (navigation) in order to work? Seems like the apps would need to know where you are to work . . . correct?

I have location services turned on, but I also pick and choose what apps I want using the service. When the app is not in use, neither is the location service and therefore, your location is not 'constantly' being updated.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about weather one but for navigation apps yes. Most weather apps it depends if you want the weather where you are at that moment or "home" or "default" locations.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would do a full reset and then set my device as new and if the problem persists then I recommend you take it to a nearby Apple store.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

I actually did that before the update, it wasn't ideal then either. No change. I did it again last night before bed, complete restore, then reupdated. Nothing changed.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually did that before the update, it wasn't ideal then either. No change. I did it again last night before bed, complete restore, then reupdated. Nothing changed.

Then I would definitely take it to a nearby Apple store and let one of the geniuses tinker with it.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am going right from work. I can't get the stupid appointment to let me include the reason but whatever

ricnmar

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine updated yesterday, and has worked like a champ since then. I also updated my iPad 2 as soon as I could and have had no issues! :)

chipfiev

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
iCloud push email issues?

Is anyone else having issues with iCloud push email on iOS 5.1? I had issues with 5.0 and 5.0.1 and had expected that would be fixed in 5.1...and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Email will always deliver when I manually check by opening Mail. However, push is inconsistent. Sometimes it's perfect but other times I'll see mail sitting on my desktop but it's not on my iPhone.

Fetch always work but I'd rather use push.

Thanks.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I updated ota my 4s my ipad2 two iPhone 4 a iPad and a iPod touch 4g no issues

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
We noticed one in settings (but we might not have noticed it in 5.0.1...)

If you navigate to a specific page in Settings, then switch to another app, the next time you return to the Settings app, it will continue where you left off. For example you can set your Wallpaper, tap to Safari, then tap back to Settings, and it will still show the Wallpaper view. IIRC, 5.0.1 and previous iOS versions always brought you to the main Settings page when you switched back to Settings.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i'm curious to know for those of you that have updated your iPads to 5.1 how things are going -- ie. battery life, safari crashes,etc. I have an iPad1 and still on 4.3(i know, i know...:eek:) - i never moved onto 5.0 because of hearing about safari crashes & terrible batt life.

I'd be interested in hearing how iPad1 owners are doing on 5.1:)

(if theres a seperate thread for this, i apologize--i did not come across it, or perhaps i over looked it)