Updated my 4s and wife's 4 both via OTA without issue yesterday upon release of iOS 5.1. Likely servers bogged or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.
    03-08-2012 12:56 PM
    OTA hardly ever works for me. It just checks for about a solid minute then a message pops up that reads "unable to check for update, an error occured while checking for a software update". Am I supposed to be connected to wi-fi just to check for the update? I'd like to do this OTA because my internet at home is so slow and 5.0.1 took almost 2 hours.
    I'd be connected to wi-fi with at least 50% battery left or have it plugged into a power source.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.
    03-08-2012 12:58 PM
    Got iMessage back, I did the off/on with iMessage then powered down for a couple minutes and back in business, same with my wife as well
    03-08-2012 01:03 PM
    Hi, new here, and new to iPhones in general. Just as a warning, I am no technical wiz, so simple things for you may not be so simple for me, so go easy on me.

I just got my iPhone 4S about 3 days ago and there is an upgrade available for iOS 5.1. I've selected to download it through the "General" section on my iPhone and while the "information bar" states a download is in progress, nothing is happens for about 5 minutes. After about 5 minutes I get an error message which reads "SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED- An error occurred downloading iOS 5.1."

I have also tried plugging my phone into my computer (MacBook Pro) and am also getting error messages regarding downloads. I'm also getting a message that the network is unavailable. This strikes me as odd because my internet is working, plus I've activated my WiFi on the phone.

Can anyone help me?
    03-08-2012 01:04 PM
    Also battery life seems to be the same as well (not good, but not bad)
    03-08-2012 01:04 PM
    After testing, I have to agree, that there is NO security flaw... if you set it to IMMEDIATELY, it's, well, immediate. If you set it to some other value, there us a timer involved before you are required to enter the password - exactly as one would expect. Steve28 is correct.
    This is what I said like 15 posts ago. lol

The confusion people have is that they think the passcode and the auto lock are related. They are not. The passcode lock is simply for having to enter a password after waking the phone. The auto lock is to prevent butt dialing, wake up and to save battery so that the screen isn't always on.
    03-08-2012 01:12 PM

The confusion people have is that they think the passcode and the auto lock are related. They are not. The passcode lock is simply for having to enter a password after waking the phone. The auto lock is to prevent butt dialing, wake up and to save battery so that the screen isn't always on.
    Understood... but, as I said previously, on my iPhone 4S, it WAS displaying the flaw... until I did a hard rest...

And I also agree that there is a lot of confusion about the two settings... Apple could have done a better job with the menu to make those two non-linked but somewhat related options more clear.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 03-08-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    03-08-2012 01:25 PM

This has been an interesting "story" to follow, as I didn't know there was a difference between the two. Glad to know there is a difference between Auto Lock and Passcode Lock.
    03-08-2012 02:33 PM
    So I was on the beta 5.1 and I downloaded the GM 5.1 ipsw from one of the sites and reloaded my phone. I dont have the new camera on the lock screen and my phone says im on build 9B5141a. I tried to resotore my phone again but i was not able to, I kept getting the your phone is not elidgeble for the req file error. I tried it on 2 diffrent computers. Any ideas??
    Try a different site for the ipsw. I had to DL the ipsw also. Make sure it is the iPhone4,1_5.1_9B179_Restore. At least that is the one I used for the 4s.
    03-08-2012 02:49 PM
    Well nothing has changed on my phone. Battery life still terrible. Unplugged phone at 7:15 this morning. Made a couple phone calls, received a few emails, and had just two text and I am down to 47%. I live in Denver and he have zero 4G HSPA+ or LTE with AT&T but my Iphone shows it up. Yet again Apple lying to the consumer.
    03-08-2012 02:56 PM
    A little early to tell but as of right now my battery life seems significantly worse. Off charger for 8 hours and it's down to 49%. Light to moderate use. Usually at this time of day it's in the 70% +/- range. We'll see......
    03-08-2012 03:05 PM
    Neither is LTE.
    Actually, yes it is. LTE is true 4G....

No, LTE is not true 4G. LTE stands for "Long Term Evolution" of the 3G program. It currently does not meet 8 of the requirements set out by the ITU-Radiocommunications sector for "4G" requirements.

3GPP Long Term Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-08-2012 03:07 PM
    First thing I did when I got 5.1 is turn off 3G on my iP4S. Started the day at 100%, still at 91% 14 hours later!

I am near WiFi hotspots most of the day and at home 3G reception is awful.

So far, so good with iOS 5.1
    03-08-2012 03:41 PM
    The phone seems to respond quicker, but SIRI does not respond by putting it up to your face any longer. It works by holding the home button just fine.
    03-08-2012 04:12 PM
    Well nothing has changed on my phone. Battery life still terrible. Unplugged phone at 7:15 this morning. Made a couple phone calls, received a few emails, and had just two text and I am down to 47%. I live in Denver and he have zero 4G HSPA+ or LTE with AT&T but my Iphone shows it up. Yet again Apple lying to the consumer.
    and yet you're still a consumer. weird
    03-08-2012 04:12 PM
    I've updated both my iPhone 4 and my iPad 1 to 5.1. My battery life is significantly BETTER than it was with 5.0.1.
    03-08-2012 04:15 PM
    i dont know if you know this when you push up on the camera on the lock screen it goes up to the camera. just sayin
    03-08-2012 04:34 PM
    i updated my 4S OTA no problem. took about 10-15 mintues.

but one thing i noticed was all the playlist popped up (recently added, played, 90's, to rated all that)

then when i plugged the phone into the computer all those playlist disappeared. i was upset.

anybody have this issue?
    03-08-2012 04:40 PM
    anyone know when siri will come out of beta
    03-08-2012 04:47 PM
    So I was on the beta 5.1 and I downloaded the GM 5.1 ipsw from one of the sites and reloaded my phone. I dont have the new camera on the lock screen and my phone says im on build 9B5141a. I tried to resotore my phone again but i was not able to, I kept getting the your phone is not elidgeble for the req file error. I tried it on 2 diffrent computers. Any ideas??
    There was no GM and that's not the build of the official. You must be on a beta.
    03-08-2012 04:51 PM
    9to5Mac is reporting a "major security flaw" with the lock screen camera access... they claim that if you have a password set, you can bypass the lock screen by opening the camera, going to the camera roll, and gain access to your phone. When I tried it, I could not get to the camera roll because of the passord (I got a screen saying that my phone was locked and that I needed to unlock it to get to the camera roll).

Can anybody get past their lock screen with this method?

In iOS 5.1, major security flaw with lock screen camera slider | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
    Read the article again now its been updated
    03-08-2012 05:15 PM
    Mine works fine. I've iMessaged several people and have had no problems. Turn your iMessage off, wait a few minutes then turn it on. See if that fixes it.
    works fine on my 4s and my gf's 4 after updating
    03-08-2012 05:25 PM
    The issue is NOT the one you describe... that post was meant to explain why I was not able to recreate the security flaw described in the referenced link... (This was not initially clear in the linked article, as the video that shows the flaw was not in the initial article. It has been added to demonstrate the flaw.)

The issue is that IF the Passcode Lock is NOT set to IMMEDIATE, one can bypass the security lock code via the lockscreen camera access.

To verify the flaw:

1. Make sure Passcode Lock is set to something other than IMMEDUATE
    2. Have a passcode lock set
    3. Lock your phone
    4. On the lock screen, slide the CAMERA icon up to open the camera app
    5. Tap on the little icon in the lower left corner of the app to access your Camera Roll
    6. From the Camera Roll app, tap the Home button
    7. You now have full access to your phone without entering the lockscreen code

THAT, sportsfans, is the security flaw.
    This doesn't bypass the lock on my 4s when it's set to 1 minute.
    03-08-2012 05:54 PM
    i updated my 4S OTA no problem. took about 10-15 mintues.

but one thing i noticed was all the playlist popped up (recently added, played, 90's, to rated all that)

then when i plugged the phone into the computer all those playlist disappeared. i was upset.

anybody have this issue?
    03-08-2012 06:40 PM
    I updated to 5.1 this morning before work. OTA took about 10-15 minutes. No battery change for me. My problem is the 4G indicator. While at work today in the elevator (where I usually get no signal) It said I had 2 bars of 4G. 2 seconds later with those same bars still up I get the message popup that says I have no service. Didn't we just get that fixed in 5.01 and now we're back to that problem.
    03-08-2012 07:36 PM
245 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD