It seems every time I find an app I want to download, the size is over 20MB and I'm not able to download it from my phone. Is there a way to get past that limitation without having to start up my computer or use wi-fi? I don't live near wi-fi and starting up my computer is such a process just to spend five minutes on itunes downloading an app and then having to sync the phone. (Please save the useless answers for someone else e.g., driving to a mcdonalds or starbucks to use their wi-fi)
    02-29-2012 08:22 AM
    It seems every time I find an app I want to download, the size is over 20MB and I'm not able to download it from my phone. Is there a way to get past that limitation without having to start up my computer or use wi-fi? I don't live near wi-fi and starting up my computer is such a process just to spend five minutes on itunes downloading an app and then having to sync the phone. (Please save the useless answers for someone else e.g., driving to a mcdonalds or starbucks to use their wi-fi)
    Nope. There's currently no way, as that is determined by your carrier and it's AFAIK, it's not something that you can "fix" on your phone. Also, not sure why using McDonalds, Starbucks or some other free wifi is a "useless answer"...

The only possibility would be a JB app that makes the phone somehow think that 3G is actually a wifi signal...
    02-29-2012 08:31 AM
    Only if you jail break.
    02-29-2012 08:42 AM
    Nope. There's currently no way, as that is determined by your carrier and it's AFAIK, it's not something that you can "fix" on your phone. Also, not sure why using McDonalds, Starbucks or some other free wifi is a "useless answer"...

The only possibility would be a JB app that makes the phone somehow think that 3G is actually a wifi signal...
    I live out in the cut and gasoline is not free
    02-29-2012 08:57 AM
    If you jailbreak, there is an app called 3g Unrestrictor which basically gets rid of the limit by making the phone think your on wifi all the time.. well atleast that is the basic idea. You can toggle it on and off using Sb settings. I've beeb using it to make facetime calls over 3g and download larger apps without restriction. Just make sure your data plan allows for the extra usage.
    02-29-2012 04:49 PM
    Yup. 3G Unrestrictor works very well. No more download limitations and I can now watch HQ YouTube videos on 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    03-01-2012 06:07 AM
    Yup. 3G Unrestrictor works very well. No more download limitations and I can now watch HQ YouTube videos on 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    You can watch HQ YouTube videos just fine with normal 3G without the unrestrictor.
    03-01-2012 09:59 AM
    Get a better computer or better internet? I mean if it is such a hassle clearly you don't really want that app.
    03-01-2012 10:38 AM
    I guess this might fall into your "useless answer" category, but you might think about getting a wifi router for home. Your computer obviously has internet access, so you could simply buy a cheap router and instantly have wifi throughout your home.

Then you won't have to start your computer to download large apps, and if you're on a limited data plan all the time you'll be on wifi won't count against your data total. (And depending on the strength of your cell signal, you could see a big speed boost as well.) And no driving to McDonald's!
    reltm likes this.
    03-01-2012 11:14 AM
    I guess this might fall into your "useless answer" category, but you might think about getting a wifi router for home. Your computer obviously has internet access, so you could simply buy a cheap router and instantly have wifi throughout your home.

Then you won't have to start your computer to download large apps, and if you're on a limited data plan all the time you'll be on wifi won't count against your data total. (And depending on the strength of your cell signal, you could see a big speed boost as well.) And no driving to McDonald's!
    I've tried to hook up a router at least a half dozen times but it never works. I think my dsl provider requires me to use their own equipment and wireless service which I can't afford.
    03-01-2012 12:01 PM
    Never heard of that if it's dsl you prob need to set the modem to forward the connection bridge mode i think Then set the router as pppoe and put in your login info

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    reltm likes this.
    03-01-2012 12:26 PM
    I think peligro911 is right, except you might not need to bother with ppoe settings (this depends on your ISP, but many don't use ppoe anymore).

You have a DSL modem already connected to your phone line. First, set the modem to bridge mode from the modem setup page.

Then connect a wireless router -- even just a cheap $25 one will do -- and connect it to the DSL modem. set the router to gateway mode (I think this is what it's called), and then the router will share the modem's connection with devices that are connected to it. You can connect your computer via Ethernet to the router, and other wireless devices via wifi.

I'm obviously not a pro at this stuff, but this is how I have my home network set up and I was able to figure it out without much help. Your ISP might prefer you purchase their services, but they may also offer help setting it up.
    03-01-2012 12:49 PM
    Also I know this isn't a direct answer to your question -- just trying to be helpful. Setting up your own wireless network might be within your reach, or at least not as far as you think it is.
    03-01-2012 12:51 PM
    I think peligro911 is right, except you might not need to bother with ppoe settings (this depends on your ISP, but many don't use ppoe anymore).

You have a DSL modem already connected to your phone line. First, set the modem to bridge mode from the modem setup page.

Then connect a wireless router -- even just a cheap $25 one will do -- and connect it to the DSL modem. set the router to gateway mode (I think this is what it's called), and then the router will share the modem's connection with devices that are connected to it. You can connect your computer via Ethernet to the router, and other wireless devices via wifi.

I'm obviously not a pro at this stuff, but this is how I have my home network set up and I was able to figure it out without much help. Your ISP might prefer you purchase their services, but they may also offer help setting it up.
    this is like another language to me. I have no idea how to change settings on my modem. It's just a small black box with an on/off switch and that's it. Maybe the router I have is too old
    03-01-2012 01:49 PM
    Just call your provider and I'm sure they will help you with hooking up a wireless router.

Via Tapatalk
    03-01-2012 02:31 PM
    Just call your provider and I'm sure they will help you with hooking up a wireless router.

Via Tapatalk
    I remember calling them a couple years ago about it and basically they refused to help me over the phone. They wanted to send someone to my house to set up a wireless network which i'd have to pay for and they tried selling me their modem/router combo thing. They just wanted more money instead of spending a few minutes on the phone to walk me through it.
    03-01-2012 02:43 PM
    Who's your provider?

Via Tapatalk
    03-01-2012 04:53 PM
    It's definitely worth a call--I use Verizon DSL and had a similar issue once where my router wouldn't pass along the internet signal from the modem. I called and they were able to walk me through the setup--they did say they couldn't guarantee anything since it wasn't their equipment, but it worked fine and I've never had a problem.

I'd give 'em a call; it sounds like you might have just gotten a crank last time. Alternate plan: find a neighborhood kid who's good with technology.
    03-01-2012 05:21 PM
    I have verizon dsl. I'm wondering if i need a new router though, mines an old linksys from when i was in college
    03-01-2012 05:34 PM
    You can watch HQ YouTube videos just fine with normal 3G without the unrestrictor.
    May I ask how? Everything I read said it was not available on 3G. Nor could I find any settings for it. Thanks.
    03-01-2012 06:47 PM
    I have verizon dsl. I'm wondering if i need a new router though, mines an old linksys from when i was in college
    Just get a new router if it ends up not working you can always return it.

Via Tapatalk
    03-02-2012 11:41 AM
    May I ask how? Everything I read said it was not available on 3G. Nor could I find any settings for it. Thanks.
    You can NOT view HQ videos on 3G with out jail breaking.

Via Tapatalk
    03-02-2012 11:43 AM
    You can NOT view HQ videos on 3G with out jail breaking.
    Sure you can. Just use the mobile site: How to Watch HD YouTube Videos over 3G on iPhone | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

And use this trick so that YouTube links ALWAYS open in mobile Safari instead of opening the YouTube app: iOS Tip: Speeding Up YouTube | jack john brown

Here's a screenshot; all you need to do to turn HQ on or off is tap the red HQ button. Notice I'm on 3G.

Last edited by Massie; 03-02-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    vietalogy and reltm like this.
    03-02-2012 01:03 PM
    I usually use the app. I've view some on the browser but quality was really bad.

Via Tapatalk
    03-02-2012 01:23 PM
    I usually use the app. I've view some on the browser but quality was really bad.
    Interesting--I actually first came across this because using the native app was absolutely awful for me. It always stuttered, had to rebuffer, stopped loading, etc. It was basically unusable. Using the mobile site, I get better quality video AND a better viewing experience. I can actually use YouTube now!

Since we seem to hijacking the original thread here, I created a new one just for this topic in case anyone wants to talk about it further: http://forums.imore.com/ios-5-forum/...ml#post1852274
    reltm likes this.
    03-02-2012 02:02 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD