Any way to override the 20MB download limit?

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It seems every time I find an app I want to download, the size is over 20MB and I'm not able to download it from my phone. Is there a way to get past that limitation without having to start up my computer or use wi-fi? I don't live near wi-fi and starting up my computer is such a process just to spend five minutes on itunes downloading an app and then having to sync the phone. (Please save the useless answers for someone else e.g., driving to a mcdonalds or starbucks to use their wi-fi)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It seems every time I find an app I want to download, the size is over 20MB and I'm not able to download it from my phone. Is there a way to get past that limitation without having to start up my computer or use wi-fi? I don't live near wi-fi and starting up my computer is such a process just to spend five minutes on itunes downloading an app and then having to sync the phone. (Please save the useless answers for someone else e.g., driving to a mcdonalds or starbucks to use their wi-fi)

Nope. There's currently no way, as that is determined by your carrier and it's AFAIK, it's not something that you can "fix" on your phone. Also, not sure why using McDonalds, Starbucks or some other free wifi is a "useless answer"...

The only possibility would be a JB app that makes the phone somehow think that 3G is actually a wifi signal...

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope. There's currently no way, as that is determined by your carrier and it's AFAIK, it's not something that you can "fix" on your phone. Also, not sure why using McDonalds, Starbucks or some other free wifi is a "useless answer"...

The only possibility would be a JB app that makes the phone somehow think that 3G is actually a wifi signal...
I live out in the cut and gasoline is not free

stillriza

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If you jailbreak, there is an app called 3g Unrestrictor which basically gets rid of the limit by making the phone think your on wifi all the time.. well atleast that is the basic idea. You can toggle it on and off using Sb settings. I've beeb using it to make facetime calls over 3g and download larger apps without restriction. Just make sure your data plan allows for the extra usage.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup. 3G Unrestrictor works very well. No more download limitations and I can now watch HQ YouTube videos on 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yup. 3G Unrestrictor works very well. No more download limitations and I can now watch HQ YouTube videos on 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

You can watch HQ YouTube videos just fine with normal 3G without the unrestrictor.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Get a better computer or better internet? I mean if it is such a hassle clearly you don't really want that app.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess this might fall into your "useless answer" category, but you might think about getting a wifi router for home. Your computer obviously has internet access, so you could simply buy a cheap router and instantly have wifi throughout your home.

Then you won't have to start your computer to download large apps, and if you're on a limited data plan all the time you'll be on wifi won't count against your data total. (And depending on the strength of your cell signal, you could see a big speed boost as well.) And no driving to McDonald's!

Reactions: reltm

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess this might fall into your "useless answer" category, but you might think about getting a wifi router for home. Your computer obviously has internet access, so you could simply buy a cheap router and instantly have wifi throughout your home.

Then you won't have to start your computer to download large apps, and if you're on a limited data plan all the time you'll be on wifi won't count against your data total. (And depending on the strength of your cell signal, you could see a big speed boost as well.) And no driving to McDonald's!
I've tried to hook up a router at least a half dozen times but it never works. I think my dsl provider requires me to use their own equipment and wireless service which I can't afford.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of that if it's dsl you prob need to set the modem to forward the connection bridge mode i think Then set the router as pppoe and put in your login info

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: reltm

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think peligro911 is right, except you might not need to bother with ppoe settings (this depends on your ISP, but many don't use ppoe anymore).

You have a DSL modem already connected to your phone line. First, set the modem to bridge mode from the modem setup page.

Then connect a wireless router -- even just a cheap $25 one will do -- and connect it to the DSL modem. set the router to gateway mode (I think this is what it's called), and then the router will share the modem's connection with devices that are connected to it. You can connect your computer via Ethernet to the router, and other wireless devices via wifi.

I'm obviously not a pro at this stuff, but this is how I have my home network set up and I was able to figure it out without much help. Your ISP might prefer you purchase their services, but they may also offer help setting it up.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Also I know this isn't a direct answer to your question -- just trying to be helpful. Setting up your own wireless network might be within your reach, or at least not as far as you think it is.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think peligro911 is right, except you might not need to bother with ppoe settings (this depends on your ISP, but many don't use ppoe anymore).

You have a DSL modem already connected to your phone line. First, set the modem to bridge mode from the modem setup page.

Then connect a wireless router -- even just a cheap $25 one will do -- and connect it to the DSL modem. set the router to gateway mode (I think this is what it's called), and then the router will share the modem's connection with devices that are connected to it. You can connect your computer via Ethernet to the router, and other wireless devices via wifi.

I'm obviously not a pro at this stuff, but this is how I have my home network set up and I was able to figure it out without much help. Your ISP might prefer you purchase their services, but they may also offer help setting it up.
this is like another language to me. I have no idea how to change settings on my modem. It's just a small black box with an on/off switch and that's it. Maybe the router I have is too old

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just call your provider and I'm sure they will help you with hooking up a wireless router.

Via Tapatalk
I remember calling them a couple years ago about it and basically they refused to help me over the phone. They wanted to send someone to my house to set up a wireless network which i'd have to pay for and they tried selling me their modem/router combo thing. They just wanted more money instead of spending a few minutes on the phone to walk me through it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely worth a call--I use Verizon DSL and had a similar issue once where my router wouldn't pass along the internet signal from the modem. I called and they were able to walk me through the setup--they did say they couldn't guarantee anything since it wasn't their equipment, but it worked fine and I've never had a problem.

I'd give 'em a call; it sounds like you might have just gotten a crank last time. Alternate plan: find a neighborhood kid who's good with technology.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox