iOS5 and iPod Touch

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So... if I get my son an iPod Touch instead of a cellphone can he use iMessage to reach my wife and I who have iPhone 4s? What about Skype, can we set that up so that he could reach us via Skype (via voice)? Or would we need to install some other app for this?

Thanks!

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The only problem with this is he has to be on a wifi connection in order to use imessage, and before my wife got her iphone i had imessage on her ipod touch. the message took forever to come through to her. i say get him a pay as you go style phone. Or boost mobile. they have some pretty decent smart phones

JRDroid

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You could do both iMessage and Skype calls as long as he is on wifi. You might check out Republic wireless for him. $200 gets you a no contract lower end android phone with unlimited everything for $20 a month. Or get him a gophone or some other prepaid/cheap plan just for contacting the two of you. In the end it will be less hassle and more reliable than the iPod touch solution (which I was considering doing to save some cash)

VydorScope

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Well I should mention the iPod Touch would be free via my credit card points. So buying a phone is a lot more expensive then iPod option, even a cheap one.

Last edited:

JRDroid

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
That does change it a bit. It is really up to you whether only being able to contact him when wifi is available is that big an issue for you or not. But you could use iMessage an/or google voice to text and even use google voice for his Skype calls so his calls and texts come from the same phone number