Wifi Sync is GARBAGE!

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Would be great if it worked consistently. It'll work perfectly one day. Then the next day when I go to sync again, I either get an error message saying the sync session failed to start, or it'll start to sync and stop within 15 seconds without an error. To get it to work again, I usually have to reboot my phone (sucked even more with tethered JB), then it'll work fine til the next day. Other times, rebooting my phone alone doesn't work and I have to reboot the whole computer. Then it works again until the next day. And I'm sure it's not JB related because the same thing happens with my wifes non-JB iPhone 4 on a different computer. Really disappointed in this. Thought 5.0.1 would fix it, nope! :mad:

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I had problems after I restored from a backup. I unchecked the wifi-sync button, synced via cord, then re-checked it and sync via cord again. My wireless sync works fine now, from wherever my devices are.

globalist

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm on PC and found out my IP4 needs to be "on" (as in unlocked, screen lit) for wifi sync to work. If it' sleeping then the sync session will not start most of the time.

Also, there's a 14-page thread over at apple support forums about the "7F" sync error that most of us are getting, regardless of platform. Hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, and not a word of response from Apple.

So yea I somewhat agree that Wifi sync is garbage.

tyrin12

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with the theme here. I have two complaints, reasons why I shut off wifi sync.

1. Like AirPrint and HomeShare, it doesn't work over a host of non-apple routers (if your having problems, check this possibility).
2. My sync PC is also my home theater PC. When wifi sync is enabled, it makes it impossible to watch movies in iTunes, because they stutter and freeze constantly while it tries to sync in the background.

That being said, I DID get it working with a new router, but still the stuttering issues were a big deal, since we have four iOS devices, and I'd literally have to plug in each one and shut off syncing to watch a movie. There's no control within iTunes (that I've found) to temporarily suspend wifi sync.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm on PC and found out my IP4 needs to be "on" (as in unlocked, screen lit) for wifi sync to work. If it' sleeping then the sync session will not start most of the time.

Also, there's a 14-page thread over at apple support forums about the "7F" sync error that most of us are getting, regardless of platform. Hundreds upon hundreds of complaints, and not a word of response from Apple.

So yea I somewhat agree that Wifi sync is garbage.

Ditto. It's garbage. A convenient feature when it actually works.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Gave up on this within the first few days. iPhone / iPad auto-sync would initiate iTunes - so I had the program screen pop up unexpectedly when doing other things. And, as ITunes loading is a bit of a resource hog, moments prior caused everything to slow down. Tres boring.

I'm sure there's a setting to prevent iTunes from loading, but just easier to turn off wi-fi sync and rely on my memory and a cable sync and/or iCloud (though on a recent reinstall to a new iPhone - another story, another time - I couldn't access my iCloud backup).

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I've never been able to sync over Wifi, my phone always needs to be plugged into my computer, so how does it have anything to do with Wifi? And how did Aopple "cut the cord" if you still need one?

Am I missing something??

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the ONLY time i have not been able to sync wifi consistently was during the 5.0 betas and that was to be expected since it was in the beginning stages

keep in mind you need to pair your device with iTunes first. i wifi sync all the time WITHOUT being plugged in. on demand

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've never been able to sync over Wifi, my phone always needs to be plugged into my computer, so how does it have anything to do with Wifi? And how did Aopple "cut the cord" if you still need one?

Am I missing something??

This sounds like a wifi firewall router problem possibly

DikaiaKnight

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it is an issue with iTunes for Windows? With my Mac wifi sync is seamless. It completes a sync every time I plug it into the charger.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
We had to get a new router to do the wifi sync... anytime someone would in my family would sync their phone, everyone else would lose their internet connection. It hogs the whole stinking thing :(