If you have an iPhone 4, 4S or iPad 2, it makes no difference. If you have an earlier iPhone or iPad 1, it definitely can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-01-2012 10:48 AM
    Let's get something straight here. If you don't kill some apps the os will do it sloppy. Check out your settings app and about. scroll to diagnostic. When you see Low memory this means you had too many apps wasting your ram. apps crash from low memory. iOS hasn't been the same since 4.0 / x
    At that time iOS did do it's job. Apple jumped the gun with 5.0.

Disregard people who say "killing apps doesn't matter". It does matter. iOS is horrible with memory. Manage your apps and you'll be fine. Now for battery life. Apps like Motionx gps that require your location are active when exiting to your home screen. radio apps like TuneIn Radio abide by the same concept. streaming audio in the background and or enabling location for local radio. Games such as Infinity Blade suck up a lot of ram and yes will drain battery. You should limit your apps in the tray. up to 5 or 6.
    I really agree with this ... On both my iPad2 and iPhone4, both running stock iOS5.0.1, I've had problems with low memory leading to crashes! I keep the task bar clean a couple times a day and definitely for anything that updates in the background or uses GPS. I've also taken to closing out the tabs in Safari for the same reason (they can download in the background).

The OP may be right about closing apps not having an effect on battery life (both my iDevices have outstandingly good battery life, even on busy days). But the stability factor is a definite reason to keepthings "clean."
    03-01-2012 05:05 PM
    I've heard a lot of people saying that closing the apps isn't necessary or doesn't affect battery life, however I have found that if I leave apps such as maps or camera running in the background that the battery life dimishes significantly. Why would this be?
    03-14-2013 02:57 PM
    I've heard a lot of people saying that closing the apps isn't necessary or doesn't affect battery life, however I have found that if I leave apps such as maps or camera running in the background that the battery life dimishes significantly. Why would this be?
    Maps will use the GPS receiver... as will the camera if you have geotagging enabled. Using the GPS receiver eats battery.
    03-14-2013 03:53 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD