I would like an app or something that alerted me when I am using 3G & not WiFi at home. Mt wireless router has an issue & I need to reset it once in a while. Consequently, there have been several occasions when I thought that I was using WiFi to dnload things, only to find that I was using 3g! Would be nice to get a banner on screen that alerted me. Not sure how it would be implemented, but it would be nice.

Cheers,
    kev
    12-26-2011 05:16 PM
    You can't tell by looking at the 3G/Wi-Fi icon?
    12-26-2011 05:37 PM
    You can't tell by looking at the 3G/Wi-Fi icon?
    Well of course I can, If I look at it. The point is, when I am at home I assume that I am using WiFi. When it doesn't connect to the router, it would be nice to know that I am using 3G. I may have to get in the habit of checking the top of the screen when I access the web. Either that or get a new wireless router.

Cheers,
    kev
    12-26-2011 05:52 PM
    Either that or get a new wireless router.
    That makes too much sense.... you shouldn't do that.
    12-26-2011 05:57 PM
    Well of course I can, If I look at it. The point is, when I am at home I assume that I am using WiFi. When it doesn't connect to the router, it would be nice to know that I am using 3G. I may have to get in the habit of checking the top of the screen when I access the web. Either that or get a new wireless router.

Cheers,
    kev
    Unfortunately there is no alert like a tone of some kind or banner as you said, so periodically checking the symbol on the status bar is what you will need to do to make sure you are still connected to WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    12-26-2011 06:29 PM
    That makes too much sense.... you shouldn't do that.
    I have avoided it for quite a while. This router has a USB port for a printer, so I like it most of the time. Maybe that will be my New Year resolution. Get a new wireless router. Wow! How exciting!?!?!?

Cheers,
    kev
    12-26-2011 06:34 PM
    I assume you want an audible alert. However there is the display bar at the top showing if the phone is using wifi or 3G. I think a reason why there wouldn't be an audible alert is that if wifi was switched ON, the alert would constantly be going off if you were in an area of non secure wifi networks and moving around. Maybe there is an app to alert you of a change from wifi to 3 g but I've never heard of one.

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"
    12-26-2011 07:27 PM
    I have avoided it for quite a while. This router has a USB port for a printer, so I like it most of the time. Maybe that will be my New Year resolution. Get a new wireless router. Wow! How exciting!?!?!?

Cheers,
    kev
    Have you seen this one then.

Fon - Fonera 2.0n - The most feature packed Fonera
    12-26-2011 09:27 PM
    Looks nice! This may be my next purchase.

Thanks,
    kev
    12-27-2011 06:51 AM
    I put off getting a new router for _years_, but then my DSL modem died, and then when that was replaced I still had problems. It's such a relief when it [router replacement] is over! And worth it! FWIW, mine is a netgear and their tech support is excellent. Painless.
    12-27-2011 07:14 AM
    I would like an app or something that alerted me when I am using 3G & not WiFi at home. Mt wireless router has an issue & I need to reset it once in a while. Consequently, there have been several occasions when I thought that I was using WiFi to dnload things, only to find that I was using 3g! Would be nice to get a banner on screen that alerted me. Not sure how it would be implemented, but it would be nice.

Cheers,
    kev
    OR buy a new router. I had an issue similar to what your describing with your router. I bought a new one to replace my 5 year old one.
    12-28-2011 07:37 AM
    Have a new wireless router, so hopefully I will not have issues. BTW the old router would periodically not respond when a device awoke, laptop, iPod etc. It would require a reset to respond to a new request.

Thanks,
    kev
    12-28-2011 08:16 AM
    How good is this connectivity wise? In looking for a new one an been looking at boxing week sales since mine lags out way to much
    12-29-2011 06:17 AM
    How good is this connectivity wise? In looking for a new one an been looking at boxing week sales since mine lags out way to much
    This is my second one. I had a g router before it died and I bought the N one I linked to. I have no connectivity issues. Plus it has the added benefit of making you money by offering a public wifi that your neighbors can log on to and purchase wifi from you.
    12-29-2011 08:24 AM
    How is the Fonera for range and reliability?
    12-29-2011 10:16 AM
    This is my second one. I had a g router before it died and I bought the N one I linked to. I have no connectivity issues. Plus it has the added benefit of making you money by offering a public wifi that your neighbors can log on to and purchase wifi from you.
    How the heck do you purchase wifi? Anyways the connectivity sounds good and the megaupload will be abused by me lol
    12-29-2011 12:00 PM
    How is the Fonera for range and reliability?
    The first g router I had lasted me 5 years and I have had this one going on a year now. I had an issue where the first one was dead but they send out a new one quick and I have had no issues with it.

How the heck do you purchase wifi? Anyways the connectivity sounds good and the megaupload will be abused by me lol
    The router acts like two separate routers as in it has the personal firewalled router you use in your home. And a public router that people near you can log into and purchase your wifi for them to use. By having a public signal going you have free access to anyone else's Fonera router. So if you go on vacation you don't have to pay for wifi if there is a Fonera router in range.

I hope I explained that correctly.
    12-29-2011 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD