E-mail notifications for different accounts?

RJKinsman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I just migrated, reluctantly, to iPhone from Palm (hp) Pre. I know there are probably a lot of iPhone enthusiasts for whom "reluctantly" does not compute. I have a few friends who are the same way. I remember sitting at a table between two iPhone with my Pre, who were like, "really? I can't believe you don't have an iPhone!"

Well, I am getting used to iOS, and there are a few things about it that I like better about it, but all in all, if there was any inkling of a future with webOS, I'd go back.

One of the things I miss about webOS is notifications. iOS 5 improved it, but it's still not close to webOS. Among the many shortcomings of iOS notifications compared to webOS is the ability to set notifications for each e-mail account. On my webOS phone, I had three e-mail accounts:

- My work e-mail (Corporate Exchange)
- Gmail (personal)
- Hotmail (junk)

For my work e-mail, I had an immediate notification with sound. And with an additional add-in called "Mode Switcher" I was able to set a time-limit for the sound notification. So, between the hours of 6AM and 9PM on weekdays, if an e-mail arrived on my work account, I got a sound and vibrate. Outside of those times, I only got a visual pop-up, but no sound or vibrate.

For my personal e-mail, I didn't need to have a notification unless I was looking at my phone. So I had that set just to give me a visual popup. But that popup stayed there, so that I could see that I had an e-mail next time I looked at my phone.

For hotmail, I only had it defined on my phone so I could send messages. I had it set to no notifications at all.

So, after that long-winded introduction, here's my question:

As far as I can tell, the e-mail notification settings on iOS apply to all accounts the same. Is this correct, or am I missing something? Is there something available by jailbreak that allows you to set different notification settings for different e-mail accounts?

Thanks!

B

bonesb

Yet another WebOS fugitive, eh? Me too. Get over it, WebOS is dead. My Pre+ is still nearby, but it's dead...

As the others posted, one tone, one global notification type - that's it. I'm surprised that RIM or Nokia didn't go after Palm for custom notifications but Palm had that patent portfolio.

Give Apple a chance, they're still working on it but likely still have patents to work out. Hey, at least Apple DID hire Rich Dellinger, right?

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issues coming from Blackberry. It's really a mystery to me how the "ultimate smartphone" still can't do so many of the little, everyday things that everybody else has been able to do for years. Well, actually I guess it's not a mystery: Apple is above all a marketing company, and the "little everyday things" don't make for sexy marketing.

RJKinsman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issues coming from Blackberry. It's really a mystery to me how the "ultimate smartphone" still can't do so many of the little, everyday things that everybody else has been able to do for years. Well, actually I guess it's not a mystery: Apple is above all a marketing company, and the "little everyday things" don't make for sexy marketing.

I agree. I just hate the dismissive attitude iPhone fans seem to have. "If it's not an iPhone, it's inferior."

Like I said, it's working for me, but if I saw a future in webOS, I'd go back without hesitation.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's really a mystery to me how the "ultimate smartphone" still can't do so many of the little, everyday things that everybody else has been able to do for years.

Maybe you've been listening to too much spin. Not sure I've ever heard the iPhone described as the "ultimate smartphone". I'm a smartphone that "just works". Little to no customizations, little settings to get "lost" in, it "just works".

I've used WebOS devices. They had a LOT going for them, but Palm mismanaged them ( hell, Palm is mismanaging everything ), and then HP didn't do any better ( some would say they did far worse ).

IMO, more mobile OSes are better. It provides more competition for everyone, thus generating more creativity. At some point Apple will probably introduce a way to have different alert sounds per email account, it just hasn't been a driving force for them at this point.

If that's something you really wanted, submit the request here: Apple - Support - Feedback

Reactions: verwon

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods