I am constantly reading these posts about bad terrible and short battery life on the 5.0.1 upgrade. What should I do??? My battery is fine right now and works perfectly with the 5.0 software but at the same time the phone runs the best when having the most up to date software. Any advice? Also the phone stops charging once it hits 100 percent with the 5.0.1? Help! Ha
    11-26-2011 11:58 PM
    Get it over with. Any update you get in the future will have the same fixes as 5.01.
    11-27-2011 01:40 AM
    I am constantly reading these posts about bad terrible and short battery life on the 5.0.1 upgrade. What should I do??? My battery is fine right now and works perfectly with the 5.0 software but at the same time the phone runs the best when having the most up to date software. Any advice? Also the phone stops charging once it hits 100 percent with the 5.0.1? Help! Ha

IF your Battery is fine and it works perfectly with 5.0 then you shouldn't upgrade and take the risk of being upset. If anything wait till 5.0.2 or 5.0.3 and see how people react to upgrade

11-27-2011 02:32 AM
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The upgrade should be fine, especially if your battery life is good on 5.0 currently. I haven't had any problems since upgrading to 5.0.1 two weeks ago.
    11-27-2011 04:06 AM
    Hi Infiniti7 !! I can understand your concerns for being leary about upgrading while reading many with battery issues.

I can tell you that both my husband and one of my daughters has the iP4--they upgraded 2-3 wks ago and they both had good battery life before the upgrade, and now still have good battery life on 5.0.1. In fact, i can tell you i've been keeping an eye on my husbands to see how his was reacting, and this morning i checked his usage/standby stats-- he currently at 1h0m usage and 1day2h standby and he's still at 85%.

I'm not trying to sway you either way, i usually looks at things as if it isn't 'broken' they dont try to fix it, but at the same time just pointing out to you that they are doing well with battery life.

If you do decide to upgrade to 5.0.1--there are a few things that you should turn off--

1) settings/restrictions--turn OFF ping
    2) settings/diagnostic&usage--"dont send" reports
    3) settings/location services/system services-- turn OFF location based-iAds & turn OFF setting time zone

Also, after your done upgrading, i also did a 'reset network settings'
    settings/general/reset/reset network settings. your phone will reset the network and reboot. it does NOT wipe out any of your data.

Those are just a few things that i have learned from a couple of friends along the way, that i have set on my iPhone4S and i do very well with battery life. Currently as i type this, I'm at 1day2hrs standby & 3h9m usage and have 49% still avail i also have 3 email acct on my phone and have them all set to "fetch" every hour. (i went from 5.0 to 5.0.1)
    Last edited by Pink; 11-27-2011 at 09:49 AM.
    11-27-2011 09:46 AM
    also, i think the consensus is if you Restore as new you get better results?

i do this with every update so i couldn't tell you first handed if it went from bad to good but i can tell you that i have always been pleased with 5.0 AND 5.0.1
    11-27-2011 10:38 AM
    We have dozens of iPhone users and I help/support more via friends and family. None are reporting 5.0.1 problems or at least problems that aren't fixed with good device management.

Looking at your config for reminders, notifications and location services and your settings for apps installed is the key to happiness and privacy. Don't have your phone do more than it needs to in same way you probably don't carry more than you need if you go for a hike or drive.

Good luck.
    11-27-2011 11:09 AM
    I have a 4, not a 4S but I upgraded with no negative effects to my battery, for what it's worth.
    11-27-2011 11:16 AM
    also, i think the consensus is if you Restore as new you get better results?

i do this with every update so i couldn't tell you first handed if it went from bad to good but i can tell you that i have always been pleased with 5.0 AND 5.0.1
    I originally did my upgrade OTA to 5.0.1 and my battery life wasn't that good. I did a restore as new a few days later and only had my contacts and calendar restore from icloud. I added back my apps via USB synced to iTunes. My battery is very improved since the restore. BUT I also think that if you do the upgrade through iTunes usb you will have good results(instead of going the OTA route). And if your back up you have saved to use it to restore is "clean" so to speak you'll be fine.

I've also heard a lot of people that have bad battery life on 5.0.1 restore as new but then put their back up right back to the phone and wind up with no improvement. Maybe because something is corrupted or had a bug from the back up and carried over to the new restore that was just done.
    11-27-2011 11:17 AM
    I originally did my upgrade OTA to 5.0.1 and my battery life wasn't that good. I did a restore as new a few days later and only had my contacts and calendar restore from icloud. I added back my apps via USB synced to iTunes. My battery is very improved since the restore. BUT I also think that if you do the upgrade through iTunes usb you will have good results(instead of going the OTA route). And if your back up you have saved to use it to restore is "clean" so to speak you'll be fine.

I've also heard a lot of people that have bad battery life on 5.0.1 restore as new but then put their back up right back to the phone and wind up with no improvement. Maybe because something is corrupted or had a bug from the back up and carried over to the new restore that was just done.
    I upgraded OTA and my battery is exactly as it was before the upgrade.. I think its just hit or miss no matter which way you upgrade..
    tnrambler likes this.
    11-27-2011 01:39 PM
    I upgraded OTA and my battery is exactly as it was before the upgrade.. I think its just hit or miss no matter which way you upgrade..
    you got lucky then, and yea I'd have to agree-hit or miss on how your device takes to the upgrade I guess.
    11-27-2011 05:21 PM
    I'm just like noaim, I upgraded and my battery is the same. GREAT! Now granted I did come over from an Android device and my battery life was absolutely horrible.
    11-27-2011 06:26 PM
    I've done the restore from new to 5.0.1 and restored via iCloud then and recently talked to someone in the forums who got nad battery life once they added the google + app .... I deleted mine and the battery life got even better for me ... Just some thought and my 2 worth lol
    11-27-2011 09:34 PM
    I'm just like noaim, I upgraded and my battery is the same. GREAT! Now granted I did come over from an Android device and my battery life was absolutely horrible.
    Yes android phones seem to be problematic with battery

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-27-2011 09:59 PM
    Yes android phones seem to be problematic with battery

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    You're telling me. The first few days w my iPhone I kept almost plugging it in bc well that's what I'm used too but w this phone I don't have too and that,my friend, is awesome. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-02-2011 12:59 PM
    for some reason when I upgraded it was fine for a week and now the battery is draining like crazy. not sure why.
    12-02-2011 02:07 PM
    i was afraid to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 also...

..then i jailbroke it and everything was better again
    12-02-2011 02:09 PM
    Battery is slightly better on 5.0.1 and has a couple other fixes. Its worth the upgrade.
    12-02-2011 02:53 PM
    I would not upgrade I wish I had not. The upgrade is horrible and has drastically reduced my battery life. I just got back from Disney world and my phone never made it through a full day, and the only use it had was to take pics and videos. Totally pissed me off. Wait to a future upgrade. I had no issue with 5.0 and am so pissed
    12-02-2011 05:19 PM
    Can't say I have ever been "afraid" to update my phone to any newer OS version..............
    12-05-2011 08:12 AM
    OTA with no problems. Battery was fine before and after the update. Heavy usage off charger at 6:00 am back on 11:00 p.m. with 45% left. Honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.
    12-05-2011 11:17 PM
    I upgraded from 4.3.x to 5.0. I had great battery life with 4.x.x, still hade great battery life with 5.0. Upgraded to 5.0.1 and still have great battery life. I haven't seen any decrease in batttery life since I've had my phone (about a year). I can make it through a day and use the phone quite a bit. By the end of the day it's time for a charge though.
    12-06-2011 01:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD