"other" area of capacity

jamiegoldsmith

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have 5 gb of "other" clogging up my phone. I have tried restore form backup, clicking on the auto connect to itunes, and unsyncing contacts etc. None of this has worked. Any suggestions?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have 5 gb of "other" clogging up my phone. I have tried restore form backup, clicking on the auto connect to itunes, and unsyncing contacts etc. None of this has worked. Any suggestions?

the only thing that will get rid of it is a restore as new.. its a corrupt file that is also in your backup

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
the only thing that will get rid of it is a restore as new.. its a corrupt file that is also in your backup

Yes, if you restore from a backup the same problem will come back. You have to start fresh.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I had this problem when I first upgraded my jailbroken 4 from 4.3.3 to 5.0. I fixed it by unchecking everything that was syncing in iTunes (music, apps and Photos) and letting iTunes erase everything, rebooting the iPhone and then checking everything again to sync. No need for a restore as new for me.

TROUT2054

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
"other"

The other posts are correct. I actually posted a question about this a few weeks ago and after at least 5-7 restores and going to a new (referb) device, the problem continued. You must back up your data and then when you do a restore do a restore from new. Then transfer your stuff back to your phone. My issue is gone now. If after you do the restore from new and it happens still, hold the icons down and close your apps then check your usage again it should be good to go. I discovered that mine was holding onto memory used for videos even after I deleted them. Now....all fixed.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
plus the other part of it is the iOS firmware which is already about 2.5 GB i believe

put it this way.. I have saved all text messages for an entire 2 years and didnt have 5 gb in other.. also my other on my 4s is only 1.09 gb

Last edited:

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The OS is definitely not 2.5 GB...

I've restored as new and my "Other" never changes. I don't know what it could be...

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I've restored as new and my "Other" never changes. I don't know what it could be...

have you looked at the used capacity on your phone settings>general>about and see if maybe itunes is just displaying it wrong.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Look at an empty iPhone ... If its a 16 there is only 13.7 or whatever it is available ... A 32 there is only 29.2 or whatever it is ... Think again

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Look at an empty iPhone ... If its a 16 there is only 13.7 or whatever it is available ... A 32 there is only 29.2 or whatever it is ... Think again

but you were claiming that the other category contains the os my other is just barely over a gig

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

That's not quite how it works, there's a difference in the measurements.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
reset your network settings. Goto Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

You will need to re-enter any WiFi addresses you connect too, but your "other" will shrink.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
reset your network settings. Goto Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

You will need to re-enter any WiFi addresses you connect too, but your "other" will shrink.

Didn't change mine, was showing other as 1.25G, before I did it and it still is...

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

What exactly is this deleting? Also, really basic question, but is there a way to clear caches so you can free up space?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice