Post battery screenshots 5.0.1

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
if i had to guestimate, i'd say about 2-3hrs(???) of that is music.maybe little more.
That at least brings it back down somewhere near the norm... listening to music does little to nothing on the battery. My standby is fantastic... right now after unplugging at 2am last night I'm at 86% with 49 minutes usage and 13.5 hrs standby. This little usage isn't normal for me... I'm usually somewhere near double that by this time in the day, but like I said standby is awesome. Once I start using the phone it tanks though. Went to the Apple Store on Friday and was told and I quote "Your battery life isn't bad enough to get a replacement". I would think since I bought this phone and Applecare+ they would give me at least the benefit of the doubt... the person right next to me at the Genius Bar got his phone released for, get this, the ring/silent switch being a little wobbly.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That at least brings it back down somewhere near the norm... listening to music does little to nothing on the battery. My standby is fantastic... right now after unplugging at 2am last night I'm at 86% with 49 minutes usage and 13.5 hrs standby. This little usage isn't normal for me... I'm usually somewhere near double that by this time in the day, but like I said standby is awesome. Once I start using the phone it tanks though. Went to the Apple Store on Friday and was told and I quote "Your battery life isn't bad enough to get a replacement". I would think since I bought this phone and Applecare+ they would give me at least the benefit of the doubt... the person right next to me at the Genius Bar got his phone released for, get this, the ring/silent switch being a little wobbly.

yes I've heard that listening to music is the least drain on the battery, and what you've said with your standby of 13.5hrs is good:) I do have to admit tho, sometimes it seems like when I'm using my phone I could just watch the battery percentage drop rapidly, but then it kinda comes to a point of 'slower drain' lol and it evens out. :)

I'm very surprised to hear the GB refused you with that kind of comment. I've never had to use them but I've always heard about prestige service so that is a little shocking. But at least the next customer got their wiggy wobbly mute button phone replaced:p sheesh !!

Sent from iPinkks 4S using Tapatalk

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
yes I've heard that listening to music is the least drain on the battery, and what you've said with your standby of 13.5hrs is good:) I do have to admit tho, sometimes it seems like when I'm using my phone I could just watch the battery percentage drop rapidly, but then it kinda comes to a point of 'slower drain' lol and it evens out. :)

I'm very surprised to hear the GB refused you with that kind of comment. I've never had to use them but I've always heard about prestige service so that is a little shocking. But at least the next customer got their wiggy wobbly mute button phone replaced:p sheesh !!

Sent from iPinkks 4S using Tapatalk
I've only had to use them once in my lifetime of using Apple products (I'm 21 now) for my logic board on the MBP I had before this one, and the guy at the GB did it for free for me even though I was out of warrantee because he saw I was a college student, so I was very surprised when they wouldn't accomodate me. I think I just got a bad employee, because he was also very condescending even though I told him I was a developer and am very versed in tech in general. It got to the point where I had to kindly tell him that he didn't need to speak to me like I was brain dead when he proceeded to explain to me in detail that location services uses the GPS...

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've only had to use them once in my lifetime of using Apple products (I'm 21 now) for my logic board on the MBP I had before this one, and the guy at the GB did it for free for me even though I was out of warrantee because he saw I was a college student, so I was very surprised when they wouldn't accomodate me. I think I just got a bad employee, because he was also very condescending even though I told him I was a developer and am very versed in tech in general. It got to the point where I had to kindly tell him that he didn't need to speak to me like I was brain dead when he proceeded to explain to me in detail that location services uses the GPS...

:)I think that most(?) people/businesses that have college students come in, they try to cater to them a little more, because let's face it-most students these days are paying their own way through college and it definitely isn't cheap that's for sure !! I think the time you went in with your ph, the rep may have been having a shizzy day & unfortunately it reflected on you not receiving such great service.

I have a bit of tech knowledge, enough to understand most things, but yea I know what you mean when they speak to you like they're explaining something to a 3 yo >.<

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
:)I think that most(?) people/businesses that have college students come in, they try to cater to them a little more, because let's face it-most students these days are paying their own way through college and it definitely isn't cheap that's for sure !! I think the time you went in with your ph, the rep may have been having a shizzy day & unfortunately it reflected on you not receiving such great service.

I have a bit of tech knowledge, enough to understand most things, but yea I know what you mean when they speak to you like they're explaining something to a 3 yo >.<
Hmmm I'm currently applying to Law Schools so maybe they'll start giving me products for free hahaha, but you are so right about the "Genius". I guess everyone has bad days and I'm sure they get slammed all day with people coming in for the most ridiculous things (like a wobbly mute switch perhaps). I even told the guy that actually making a genius bar appt is my absolute last resort for a problem, as most problems other than physical failure of a part can be done by the user fairly easily.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm I'm currently applying to Law Schools so maybe they'll start giving me products for free hahaha, but you are so right about the "Genius". I guess everyone has bad days and I'm sure they get slammed all day with people coming in for the most ridiculous things (like a wobbly mute switch perhaps). I even told the guy that actually making a genius bar appt is my absolute last resort for a problem, as most problems other than physical failure of a part can be done by the user fairly easily.

I agree with you, I'd trouble shoot as much as I could at home first with the knowledge I do have OR try to search for a solution to the problem first. If I can't do it, then a GB appt would be next, as a last resort as well:)

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Just came back from vacation. Here are some stats that i got when i pushed my phone. I had 3 email accounts set to push. Used the camera a LOT. and used Skype quite often. Not bad I think

1839a24a-73fb-5773.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

JnCrWe

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
My battery lasts decently long. It lasted a full day the other day despite my boredom leading to a couple of hours playing Infinity Blade, a few hours playing other games, and my normal usage on top of that. I didn't think to take screenshots then, but I did take one this morning after leaving the phone unplugged overnight.

30u934k.jpg

It dropped to 99% a few minutes later as I was taking a turn in Hanging with Friends. :)

JnCrWe

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
My battery seems to last decently long, going for a full day even the other day when I spent way too much time playing iOS games including a few hours of Infinity Blade. I didn't take a screenshot then, but I did take one this morning after leaving it unplugged overnight.

30u934k.jpg

It dropped to 99% a few minutes later as I was taking a turn in Hanging with Friends. :)

christyr143

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
How on earth are you all getting usage stats like this? Like what do you all have your settings as and such? I have followed all the recommended tips for shutting things not necessary off, I have siri disabled, I'm on wi-fi the majority of the day, and I have even restored my phone as new and I still only get about 14 to 15 hours of standby and about 5 hours of usage before needing to charge again. Share your secrets with us!!

JnCrWe

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
All I did was let the battery drain and completely recharge a few times after I got the phone.

Pretty much everything that wants to use location and notifications is enabled to do so. Siri is enabled, but I never use it. Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled, though I only have the networks at my apartment, my sister's house, and my mom's house programmed in, so at school and work I'm on 3G with an excellent signal at school and a weak to moderate signal at work. I tend to keep both the ringer and media volume set at 50%.

I play casual games on and off throughout the day (a few rounds of Ninjump and Jetpack Joyride, and taking my turns in Hanging/Words with Friends). Sometimes I'll fire up Infinity Blade for a while, but it drains the battery more quickly, of course. I play Pandora and answer calls through Bluetooth in my car when I'm driving. Throughout the day I'm firing off messages in Messages and/or Facebook Messenger to my girlfriend, family, and sometimes other friends. I don't talk on the phone much. I also sometimes check my bank and credit card accounts through the respective institutions' mobile apps. The camera gets occasional use as well, as does Safari.

Though I haven't kept good logs and run the numbers or anything, my normal pattern seems to result in a charge lasting about 20-24 hours with 6-7 hours of usage in that time. Just going by the times I've seen, on standby the phone would probably last a few days on a charge, which isn't bad for a modern smartphone. I don't know how this compares to previous iPhones. It's comparable to my original Droid, and a good deal better than the Rezound I briefly tried before making the switch.

Really, depending on what those 5 hours of usage entail, a 15-hour charge may not be too bad. Apparently previous iPhones had amazing battery life, but there's a lot of hardware packed into the 4S. While some of users' issues may be the result of software glitches or whatever, at least part of the problem is likely just an indication that battery technology isn't completely keeping up with mobile hardware technology.

Good luck to you, though, in finding a way to make your battery life live up to your expectations. :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i really hate letting my battery go below 20%, let alone 10%--so i'm waiving the white flag and throwing it on the charger !! i'm extremely happy with this run i just had the past 2-1/2 days:) (i honestly think this is the best my phone has done yet)

1327412045.png

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
WOW! Mind if I ask what you used the phone for so far in that screenshot? And were you on Wifi the whole time?

Tapatalk, Twitter, Words With Friends, text/iMessage and maybe a quick. Some of that standby time was while slept the night before. Wifi the majority of the time except while we were out to the movies.I generally subscribe to 50% depth of discharge so it went on the charger shortly after that screen was taken.

Don't know if it matters all that much but I have a iPhone 4 running 5.0.1. I think some others are running a 4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I went back to a 3GS because I lost my 4S and lets just say the battery on this phone probably last me around 4 or less hours of usage. :( so sad

johnc847

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 4s the other day. Im on this from the phone so don't think I can post a pic. My battery seems to drain fast. What do you all think?

81%
Usage: 1 hour 13 min
Standby: 2 hours 43 min