iOS 5.0.1 kills my battery?

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
So far seems to be better for me. It was already great before 5.01 and now seems to be better. My wife says her's is much better, she's been using it all morning and it's only at 92% now. I used mine since yesterday when I updated till midnight, so about 8 hours, and then left it on my desk (not recharging) and it's at 72%.

I also recommend draining the battery completely, where the iPhone shuts off, then recharging. I did that on 5.0 and it helped a lot.

LyndaP

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I charged my 4s battery to 100% before I went to bed last night. Unplugged from charging at 12:30 a.m. By 8:00 this morning the battery had gone down to 76%. Checked the usage and it showed 6 hours 3 minutes, standby 9 hours 37 minutes. The only thing that is turned on is push email, and I had received 8 emails overnight. I had also closed all apps from the tray, even though I know that they shouldn't affect anything and are not active unless I am actually using them. I am not an iPhone newbie by any stretch of the imagination. Upgrading to 5.0.1 has decidedly NOT been a good thing for me. This is now effectively as bad or worse than my 3g and nowhere near as good as my iPhone 4.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i didnt pay attention to it.. but probably should. I had no issues with 5.0 and reading this am that some say its worse has me worried. i know last night i was in the 90% range and this AM in the 70% range. i feel like that didnt used to do that. charging now to see what happens by the end of the day.

Will Griff

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. New to the forums. Great info here. I downloaded the update this morning around 7am and when I unplugged my charger I was at 96%. By the time I got to the office around 7:30 while listening to music with my phone (iPhone 4) my battery level dropped to 84%. With normal use, which includes a couple of phone calls and buying the living social deal, my battery level has now dropped to 63% at 1pm. From what I have experienced, this update has taken my phone from great battery life to awful. I have taken all the precautionary steps to improve battery life (location services for 1-2 apps, turned off auto time, etc). Usually by this time in the day I have around 80-85% battery left. I performed a hard reset after the update. I'm thinking of restoring my phone as new and starting over. Do you think this would be helpful in restoring better battery life?

Thanks!

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
No improvement here. I think it's actually worse. I used my phone less today than normal and it's draining as if I were actually using it. Not quite sure what the true purpose of the update was for but battery life isn't one.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
ok charged it to 100% (around 11:45) its now 2:45 - some texting.. a call.. downloding updates for apps and a few apps. Facebook. tapatalk. now at 97% - so i would have to say it may be a little better. I will test while streaming a netflix movie to see how it fairs on that.

Dperks17

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine is much much better

2mouy6x.png

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I charged my 4s battery to 100% before I went to bed last night. Unplugged from charging at 12:30 a.m. By 8:00 this morning the battery had gone down to 76%. Checked the usage and it showed 6 hours 3 minutes, standby 9 hours 37 minutes. The only thing that is turned on is push email, and I had received 8 emails overnight. I had also closed all apps from the tray, even though I know that they shouldn't affect anything and are not active unless I am actually using them. I am not an iPhone newbie by any stretch of the imagination. Upgrading to 5.0.1 has decidedly NOT been a good thing for me. This is now effectively as bad or worse than my 3g and nowhere near as good as my iPhone 4.

That's odd that it's showing 6 hours 3 minutes of usage when you were sleeping, that should all be standby time. Sounds like maybe something on your iPhone is 'stuck' running. Have you tried shutting down your phone and restarting?

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
No improvement here. I think it's actually worse. I used my phone less today than normal and it's draining as if I were actually using it. Not quite sure what the true purpose of the update was for but battery life isn't one.

I think the fact that most people seem to be getting better battery life and not worse shows that the fixes that were included in iOS5.01 didn't address whatever issue you're phone is experiencing. Could be a rogue program is running on your phone that didn't shut down properly. Could be an issue with the phone itself, ie bad battery, some bad part or whatever. Have you thought about doing a restarting the phone to see if that fixes the problem or doing a restore?

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the fact that most people seem to be getting better battery life and not worse shows that the fixes that were included in iOS5.01 didn't address whatever issue you're phone is experiencing. Could be a rogue program is running on your phone that didn't shut down properly. Could be an issue with the phone itself, ie bad battery, some bad part or whatever. Have you thought about doing a restarting the phone to see if that fixes the problem or doing a restore?

What you said makes sense. I am doing a restore now to see if that will help. Hopefully, it is a rogue program issue or something just getting hosed up. I will monitor things over the next few days.

LyndaP

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
That's odd that it's showing 6 hours 3 minutes of usage when you were sleeping, that should all be standby time. Sounds like maybe something on your iPhone is 'stuck' running. Have you tried shutting down your phone and restarting?

I absolutely agree that it's odd, and nothing I've ever experienced before with this or previous iPhones . Before I updated to iOS 5.0.1 yesterday I was fairly happy with the 4s battery - it wasn't as good as the 4 but it was still pretty good. At the most I'd lose 8% overnight. Last night, just to test the update, I charged the phone to 100% and deliberately closed out everything in the multitasking tray before I went to bed, which is something I never bothered with before. I have now completely restored my phone as new, something else I never had to do with any previous iOS. I will again charge it to 100% before I retire tonight, close out everything in the multitasking tray and check it tomorrow morning. I am hoping that the restore will solve the problem. Fingers are crossed.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I know its pretty quick to judge...but I charged to 100% left the house at 10am....dead before 5pm. And I didn't do anything but text and load a few web pages. I turned Wi-Fi off as soon as I left and was conscious about apps running etc.

5.0.2 where are you?

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I am going to wait a bit before doing the 5.0.1 update as i want to see any avenues for jailbreak.

Those who have terrible battery life the Location Services maybe the cause. I have atleast 2 apps that use the location services and they use it "CONSTANTLY" which would drain the battery very quickly.
Also disable under system "setting time zone"

I would keep an eye on the location service icon that shows up at top right.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I updated to 5.0.1 OTA at work. I charged my phone to 100% last night and took it off the charger before I went to bed. I kept the same settings that I had on 5.0. text messages, mail, words, whatsapp, phone, calender, NFL 11, are in the notification center. Stocks and weathers are not. I have other apps that send notifications as well. Bluetooth is off and I am on wifi 90% of the time. I mostly read news on my iphone and play words, text a whole bunch, listen to music.

Right now Iam at 47% with 5:33 usage and 20:43 since unplugged. To me these are good numbers. By the time my phone is dead, I should be at 10 hours of usage and more than a day since unplugged.

Roustermiller

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Coming from android the battery life on the iPhone is way better and I do way more on my iPhone then I ever did on any of my android phones. So I'm very happy with any update that makes it better

LyndaP

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Update, since I complained yesterday: Did a complete restore yesterday. Charged to 100% before I went to bed last night. When I got up this morning the battery was at 96%, usage showed 12 minutes, standby was 7 hours, 16 minutes. It seems that whatever was wrong was "cured" by doing a complete restore. I wonder if updating OTA made a difference in my case?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
After one day, i find that my battery life is great. Off the charger all day, checked e-mails, made some calls, and listened to some tunes....went from 100% to 90%. As someone stated in an earlier post, i do find that my iPhone4, with IOS 5.0.1, does seem "snappier". Apps do seem to open quicker, that's including the GPS for Location Services. I guess that you do need about a day for any new IOS to "settle in".:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR