Hey everyone. New to the forums. Great info here. I downloaded the update this morning around 7am and when I unplugged my charger I was at 96%. By the time I got to the office around 7:30 while listening to music with my phone (iPhone 4) my battery level dropped to 84%. With normal use, which includes a couple of phone calls and buying the living social deal, my battery level has now dropped to 63% at 1pm. From what I have experienced, this update has taken my phone from great battery life to awful. I have taken all the precautionary steps to improve battery life (location services for 1-2 apps, turned off auto time, etc). Usually by this time in the day I have around 80-85% battery left. I performed a hard reset after the update. I'm thinking of restoring my phone as new and starting over. Do you think this would be helpful in restoring better battery life?

Thanks!
    11-11-2011 01:07 PM
    No improvement here. I think it's actually worse. I used my phone less today than normal and it's draining as if I were actually using it. Not quite sure what the true purpose of the update was for but battery life isn't one.
    11-11-2011 01:24 PM
    ok charged it to 100% (around 11:45) its now 2:45 - some texting.. a call.. downloding updates for apps and a few apps. Facebook. tapatalk. now at 97% - so i would have to say it may be a little better. I will test while streaming a netflix movie to see how it fairs on that.
    11-11-2011 02:47 PM
    Mine is much much better

11-11-2011 05:36 PM
    I charged my 4s battery to 100% before I went to bed last night. Unplugged from charging at 12:30 a.m. By 8:00 this morning the battery had gone down to 76%. Checked the usage and it showed 6 hours 3 minutes, standby 9 hours 37 minutes. The only thing that is turned on is push email, and I had received 8 emails overnight. I had also closed all apps from the tray, even though I know that they shouldn't affect anything and are not active unless I am actually using them. I am not an iPhone newbie by any stretch of the imagination. Upgrading to 5.0.1 has decidedly NOT been a good thing for me. This is now effectively as bad or worse than my 3g and nowhere near as good as my iPhone 4.
    That's odd that it's showing 6 hours 3 minutes of usage when you were sleeping, that should all be standby time. Sounds like maybe something on your iPhone is 'stuck' running. Have you tried shutting down your phone and restarting?
    11-11-2011 06:00 PM
    No improvement here. I think it's actually worse. I used my phone less today than normal and it's draining as if I were actually using it. Not quite sure what the true purpose of the update was for but battery life isn't one.
    I think the fact that most people seem to be getting better battery life and not worse shows that the fixes that were included in iOS5.01 didn't address whatever issue you're phone is experiencing. Could be a rogue program is running on your phone that didn't shut down properly. Could be an issue with the phone itself, ie bad battery, some bad part or whatever. Have you thought about doing a restarting the phone to see if that fixes the problem or doing a restore?
    11-11-2011 06:03 PM
    Its all well and good saying wait a few days for results but mine has a very negative result sitting on idle after the update
    11-11-2011 06:17 PM
    I think the fact that most people seem to be getting better battery life and not worse shows that the fixes that were included in iOS5.01 didn't address whatever issue you're phone is experiencing. Could be a rogue program is running on your phone that didn't shut down properly. Could be an issue with the phone itself, ie bad battery, some bad part or whatever. Have you thought about doing a restarting the phone to see if that fixes the problem or doing a restore?
    What you said makes sense. I am doing a restore now to see if that will help. Hopefully, it is a rogue program issue or something just getting hosed up. I will monitor things over the next few days.
    11-11-2011 06:56 PM
    That's odd that it's showing 6 hours 3 minutes of usage when you were sleeping, that should all be standby time. Sounds like maybe something on your iPhone is 'stuck' running. Have you tried shutting down your phone and restarting?
    I absolutely agree that it's odd, and nothing I've ever experienced before with this or previous iPhones . Before I updated to iOS 5.0.1 yesterday I was fairly happy with the 4s battery - it wasn't as good as the 4 but it was still pretty good. At the most I'd lose 8% overnight. Last night, just to test the update, I charged the phone to 100% and deliberately closed out everything in the multitasking tray before I went to bed, which is something I never bothered with before. I have now completely restored my phone as new, something else I never had to do with any previous iOS. I will again charge it to 100% before I retire tonight, close out everything in the multitasking tray and check it tomorrow morning. I am hoping that the restore will solve the problem. Fingers are crossed.
    11-11-2011 08:41 PM
    I know its pretty quick to judge...but I charged to 100% left the house at 10am....dead before 5pm. And I didn't do anything but text and load a few web pages. I turned Wi-Fi off as soon as I left and was conscious about apps running etc.

5.0.2 where are you?
    11-11-2011 11:03 PM
    I am going to wait a bit before doing the 5.0.1 update as i want to see any avenues for jailbreak.

Those who have terrible battery life the Location Services maybe the cause. I have atleast 2 apps that use the location services and they use it "CONSTANTLY" which would drain the battery very quickly.
    Also disable under system "setting time zone"

I would keep an eye on the location service icon that shows up at top right.
    11-12-2011 12:07 AM
    I updated to 5.0.1 OTA at work. I charged my phone to 100% last night and took it off the charger before I went to bed. I kept the same settings that I had on 5.0. text messages, mail, words, whatsapp, phone, calender, NFL 11, are in the notification center. Stocks and weathers are not. I have other apps that send notifications as well. Bluetooth is off and I am on wifi 90% of the time. I mostly read news on my iphone and play words, text a whole bunch, listen to music.

Right now Iam at 47% with 5:33 usage and 20:43 since unplugged. To me these are good numbers. By the time my phone is dead, I should be at 10 hours of usage and more than a day since unplugged.
    11-12-2011 02:30 AM
    Coming from android the battery life on the iPhone is way better and I do way more on my iPhone then I ever did on any of my android phones. So I'm very happy with any update that makes it better
    11-12-2011 08:26 AM
    Update, since I complained yesterday: Did a complete restore yesterday. Charged to 100% before I went to bed last night. When I got up this morning the battery was at 96%, usage showed 12 minutes, standby was 7 hours, 16 minutes. It seems that whatever was wrong was "cured" by doing a complete restore. I wonder if updating OTA made a difference in my case?
    11-12-2011 09:16 AM
    After one day, i find that my battery life is great. Off the charger all day, checked e-mails, made some calls, and listened to some tunes....went from 100% to 90%. As someone stated in an earlier post, i do find that my iPhone4, with IOS 5.0.1, does seem "snappier". Apps do seem to open quicker, that's including the GPS for Location Services. I guess that you do need about a day for any new IOS to "settle in".
    11-12-2011 09:38 AM
    Coming from android the battery life on the iPhone is way better and I do way more on my iPhone then I ever did on any of my android phones. So I'm very happy with any update that makes it better
    Amen. Same here.
    11-12-2011 10:10 AM
    update:

charged yesterday @ 11:45 to 100% - by midnight - after watching an entire movie (streamed through netflix) and text, email, facebook, a few calls, internet lookups - i was at 50%. conclusion is it seems no different than before.

only issue is this am, after charging all night.. my phone was on 99% and wifes was on 91%. unplug/replug and they went up the rest.
    11-12-2011 01:24 PM
    Amen. Same here.
    Thats one of the big reasons im back with an iphone rather than android
    11-12-2011 05:03 PM
    I didn't think this update would make much difference but it really helped. I notice much more efficient battery life.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.025129,-80.129110
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-12-2011 06:56 PM
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-13-2011 07:45 AM
    After having issues the last few days with my iPhone 4 (not 4S), I let the battery drain yesterday and then charged it overnight. Other than tweet once and check (but not write) an email, I haven't used it. Yet, within an hour and a half of standby with 2 apps running in the background, it's down to 65 percent. That never happened with iOS 5 (the first version), so I'm as perplexed as everyone else. I wish we could restore back to the previous version, but alas, that does not seem possible.
    11-13-2011 08:48 AM
    After having issues the last few days with my iPhone 4 (not 4S), I let the battery drain yesterday and then charged it overnight. Other than tweet once and check (but not write) an email, I haven't used it. Yet, within an hour and a half of standby with 2 apps running in the background, it's down to 65 percent. That never happened with iOS 5 (the first version), so I'm as perplexed as everyone else. I wish we could restore back to the previous version, but alas, that does not seem possible.
    I too was getting solid battery life on my 4S until I did the 5.0.1 OTA update. The battery life was awful for me on Friday. I went out on Friday night with about 25% battery life, didn't touch my phone at all, and pulled it out to check the time and it was dead.

Yesterday I did a restore in iTunes and restored via an iCloud backup. Everything seems to be fine again.
    11-13-2011 09:31 AM
    I saw a statement from Apple where they think this 5.01 fixed battery issues?? now what? Do they really think this update did the trick? do they even have people that read forums to see what their customers are saying or thinking? just wondering..
    11-13-2011 09:59 AM
    Hey everyone, I posted earlier about how iOS 5.0.1 was draining the battery on my iPhone 4. Last night, I let my battery drain & then charged it, but this morning, I lost 20 percent (with no use of the phone) in no time. So, I searched a few of the forums and found a possible solution.

Go to Settings --> General --> Reset (at the bottom) and then select "Reset All Settings." This WON'T reset your entire phone (you'll still have your apps, messages, etc.) but will reset some of the more general settings. When I did it, I had to reselect the language, set up my wifi again, and a couple of other things (a ringtone or two).

My battery had been at 48 percent when I did it. I recharged it, and since I did that, the battery's been much better and has held virtually its entire charge for the last couple of hours. I'm hoping this will last, but so far, so good. I hope it works for you all.
    11-13-2011 12:51 PM
    Looks like my battery issue has been resolved for the most part, by terminating all the apps running in the background through the "multi tasking" pane.

I noticed that even after a "hard reset", my memory usage was pretty high with only about 16mg free at any given time. I didn't realize that programs could be terminated using this method and didn't realize these apps were still running in the background (Coming from a BB, so not used to Apple's version of Multi Tasking lol). Even after the update, which i did OTA, these apps were all still running after the reboot. Before turning these all my apps off (which was virtually everything on my iPhone) my battery usage was average of 2% every half hour on standby. Looking at my usage, my phone was at one point at 3 to 4 hours, even though this was a time where my phone was actually on Standby.

After terminating all the apps, I'm holding a full 100 % charge at about 2 hours of standby, and a couple of text messages. And my free memory is now at about 250 mb. There must have been a rogue process/program that was running initially in the background that was sucking my battery dry.
    11-14-2011 12:49 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD