Well I know its to early to say definitively, but when I had iOS 5.0 my battery would drian 1-2% in a few minutes, after a full charge, even if I didn't use the phone. So far with iOS 5.0.1 I have used it for 10 minutes and been on standy for 18 and its sitting at %100 right now. This gives me hope. I still have the time zone setting off in location services so I may turn it on after my next charge and see if it affects the battery at all.
    11-10-2011 02:57 PM
    If I want to jailbreak should I just opt out of this update...?
    11-10-2011 03:26 PM
    If I want to jailbreak should I just opt out of this update...?
    yea, might as well. If you have already you have to opt out
    11-10-2011 03:42 PM
    Downloading mine now! Anxious to see how it improves, even though I really didn't have a battery issue.
    11-10-2011 03:48 PM
    Downloading mine now! Anxious to see how it improves, even though I really didn't have a battery issue.

I'm impressed... Standby: 2:45. Usage: 0:47. I'm sitting at 97%. Sweet.
    _heatherly likes this.
    11-10-2011 04:31 PM
    Is it better to upgrade OTA or thru Itunes? How do you do it thru Itunes? This is my first Iphone and still haven't figured Itunes out yet.
    11-10-2011 04:40 PM
    I've been out all day running errands and what not, stopped into the forums to find the update was released. SO I tapped into my wifi and dwld the update thru wifi, completed & rebooted all in about a total of 15mins time and everything was done I'm sooo impressed at how smooth the transition to update an official software is with Apple makes me even more thankful I made the switch !!

I'm super excited to see how much my battery life will improve, prior to the upgrade I was averaging 5/6% loss per hour ie. 4/5hr usage with 15hr standing -from 100% off the charger at 630am then down to 25% plug in at 10pm.

So tomorrow I will start off fresh and keep an eye on how usage is going

11-10-2011 05:06 PM
    can't wait to install it!
    11-10-2011 05:10 PM
    I just received my new phone this morning and it already promoted me to upgrade to 5.0.1...
    11-10-2011 05:19 PM
    Is it better to upgrade OTA or thru Itunes? How do you do it thru Itunes? This is my first Iphone and still haven't figured Itunes out yet.
    It's pretty complicated

Step 1: Plug in iPhone
    Step 2: Click Update

But just do it over the air. If you do it through iTunes, it will download the entire OS from apple. (iTunes likes to keep a copy of the "latest" iOS in case you need to do a "restore", which wipes the phone and re-installs everything from scratch.
    11-10-2011 05:25 PM
    Im doing it the long and arduous plug in way. lol Im not interested in dealing with wifi
    11-10-2011 06:02 PM
    Hmm...16 minute phone call......4% lost.
    11-10-2011 06:22 PM
    Typing that one reply above....1% lost.
    11-10-2011 06:24 PM
    this software update didnt do anything for me but drain it even more. went from ****ty to absolute ****...this is my first iphone and im confused why some of my other friends who own 4s or iphone 4 have better battery life
    11-10-2011 06:38 PM
    this software update didnt do anything for me but drain it even more. went from ****ty to absolute ****...this is my first iphone and im confused why some of my other friends who own 4s or iphone 4 have better battery life
    Well, everyone's usage is different. What all do you have turned on?

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    11-10-2011 06:46 PM
    The update just came out. I would give it a few cycles of charges and discharges before you say it didn't work. It took about three on my iPhone 4 last year when one of the updates was causing battery life issues. Thankfully, it did get much better.
    11-10-2011 06:51 PM
    im seeing my battery life worse than it was too, but im positive that a couple of recharge cycles will do the trick just like when i got the phone. i have to say the batter HAS improved with use, and last night i was amazed i was down to 3% with 17 hour standby time and 7 hours of use (not sure if thats good or not? but it lasted me the whole day doing what i needed to do)
    11-10-2011 07:06 PM
    The update just came out. I would give it a few cycles of charges and discharges before you say it didn't work. It took about three on my iPhone 4 last year when one of the updates was causing battery life issues. Thankfully, it did get much better.
    IrishRose, when you say to give it a few charge/discharge cycles--what exactly do you mean by this. I've heard such mixed things about let the batt drain till it shuts down or to never do that and just charge when it needs it.

So, what is the right thing to do here ? I've dwld the update thru wifi approx 430pm and since then I've lost 10% already. TIA
    11-10-2011 07:24 PM
    IrishRose, when you say to give it a few charge/discharge cycles--what exactly do you mean by this. I've heard such mixed things about let the batt drain till it shuts down or to never do that and just charge when it needs it.

So, what is the right thing to do here ? I've dwld the update thru wifi approx 430pm and since then I've lost 10% already. TIA

Li-Ion batteries do not need to be totally drained, it's a (very) common misconception. Ars Technica has a wonderfully detailed article about lithium batteries here Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?
    11-10-2011 07:33 PM

Not sure if it really is the thing to do or not. But anytime I get a new phone or do a software update, I always fully charge the battery and let it shut off 3 times. They say you don't have to do this, but I do it and I always seem to have good battery life on all of my phones.
    11-10-2011 07:33 PM
    Li-Ion batteries do not need to be totally drained, it's a (very) common misconception. Ars Technica has a wonderfully detailed article about lithium batteries here Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?
    It's not a misconception to me as I know they say it doesn't matter, however, I've always done it and never had an issue with my batteries.
    11-10-2011 07:35 PM
    i applaud apple for being very honest about the battery life and they actually do something about it ...unlike some other platforms, they always blame it on the "OS"
    The OS is the problem... That's why the battery drain began when people upgraded to iOS 5 and why Apple has released a new OS that they claim fixes the battery.

Sent from my HP Pavilion dv7 using Tapatalk
    11-10-2011 07:37 PM
    It's not a misconception to me as I know they say it doesn't matter, however, I've always done it and never had an issue with my batteries.
    Good thing I didn't direct it at you then, I was merely responding to a question.
    11-10-2011 07:41 PM

i did this twice with my iphone not knowing and i actually saw it improve the battery life. thats what im going to do this time as well.

btw are you pinkdiamonds from the 9650 forums? if so, hello!
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-10-2011 07:42 PM
    Lithium batteries do not retain memory. If you'd like info on batteries, here are some resources:
    Apple - Batteries
    Apple - Batteries - iPhone
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-10-2011 07:58 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD