the suspense is killing me
    11-02-2011 09:25 PM
    I think you'll have to wait a little while, since developers have barely had a chance to install the beta, yet.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    11-02-2011 10:14 PM
    I think you'll have to wait a little while, since developers have barely had a chance to install the beta, yet.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    agreed. Plus this is beta, it may not fix the issue until the public release.
    11-02-2011 10:58 PM
    agreed. Plus this is beta, it may not fix the issue until the public release.
    The battery issue is one of the issues fixed and needing beta testing - hence the developer seed...
    11-02-2011 11:09 PM
    I won't know until tomorrow when it gets a full days work from me.
    11-02-2011 11:31 PM
    Sorry in advance for dragging this off-topic,but this thread got me thinking. I was wondering if Apple has a beta testing community. I'm coming from BlackBerry which has Beta Zone which I was involved in. Is there a similar community for Apple where members of the public (not just developers) can test programs and apps?
    11-03-2011 07:08 AM
    Nope you have to be a developer. You could register as a developer but I believe it's fairly pricey.
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-03-2011 07:18 AM
    Nope you have to be a developer. You could register as a developer but I believe it's fairly pricey.
    Yeah the lowest possible price is $99

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-03-2011 08:07 AM
    Thanks for answering. I was just curious because I loved testing.
    11-03-2011 08:55 AM
    I upgraded last night, and I can absolutely tell a difference. It's like night and day! .. literally.
    11-03-2011 11:09 AM
    Thanks for answering. I was just curious because I loved testing.
    You can always load the (most) betas without being a dev. You just can't give feedback. So if you just like playing around then there are places to get the betas. As for 5.0.1 I'll skip it until it official because the battery isn't too bad for me since turning off all the System Services (although I hope it gets better in 5.0.1).
    11-03-2011 11:29 AM
    I upgraded last night, and I can absolutely tell a difference. It's like night and day! .. literally.
    seriously? mind posting some usage (screenshots)?
    11-03-2011 12:26 PM
    Mine is exactly the same as or slightly WORSE than before the beta, but my battery life was awesome before.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    11-03-2011 01:40 PM
    Mine is exactly the same as or slightly WORSE than before the beta, but my battery life was awesome before.
    the plot thickens...
    11-03-2011 03:09 PM
    This is one reason I can't stand these battery life threads....one person claims it's the second coming of the spaghetti monster in the sky, another claims it's the worst thing since unsliced bread, but regardless there's never any facts backing up any of said claims.

1) need picts of usage statistics BEFORE the upgrade ( across multiple days, or weeks if possible )
    2) repeat this for AFTER the upgrade.

Otherwise this "it seems like...." doesn't get anyone anywhere. *sigh*
    /endrant /gets off soapbox
    Ipheuria likes this.
    11-03-2011 03:26 PM
    This is one reason I can't stand these battery life threads....one person claims it's the second coming of the spaghetti monster in the sky, another claims it's the worst thing since unsliced bread, but regardless there's never any facts backing up any of said claims.

1) need picts of usage statistics BEFORE the upgrade ( across multiple days, or weeks if possible )

Pretty sure the Spaghetti monster in the sky, IS the worst thing since unsliced bread

Seriously though, I agree that we need definitive information. I love the battery life I am getting, but who wouldn't be happy with better battery life...It's like the Jimmy Fallon Capital One commercial...
    11-03-2011 04:14 PM
    After nearly a full work day of usage, I'd say it has slightly improved. Maybe 15% at most.
    11-03-2011 05:33 PM
    After a full day of usage, it's the same as before for me. I never had battery drain issues to begin with though. As soon as I nuked the broken FB push notifications, my battery life was the same as my ip4.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    11-03-2011 05:51 PM
    seriously? mind posting some usage (screenshots)?
    Here's a quick screen shot after a few hours. I did some tweeting, App Store update, and made a 10 minute call - and almost 3 hours on standby. I'd normally be at 90% by now - holding steady at 97% as I type this.
    11-03-2011 07:06 PM
    When I first got the 4S I treated it exactly like my 4. Whenever I'm in the car I have it charging and at home I top it off sometimes. Even with that I was getting very poor performance. I did two things. I drained it until it shut off (wasn't hard) and I shut off system services. With those two things my battery life is the same as my 4. Today I didn't top it off at all and I used it my normal amount and my battery is at 63% (8am-10pm). Before these changes it would definitely be dead by now. I have all my usual push notification turned on (except Facebook). Another thing I've noticed is my 4S ran warm until I made these changes even after hard resets.
    11-04-2011 12:46 AM
    After nearly a full work day of usage, I'd say it has slightly improved. Maybe 15% at most.
    I 2nd this. I say 10-15% improvement.
    11-04-2011 12:49 AM
    You can always load the (most) betas without being a dev. You just can't give feedback. So if you just like playing around then there are places to get the betas. As for 5.0.1 I'll skip it until it official because the battery isn't too bad for me since turning off all the System Services (although I hope it gets better in 5.0.1).
    ... and you must have your UDID registered with a developer account in order to activate the beta version of iOS... or just install it and use your phone for a paperweight...
    11-04-2011 12:59 AM
    Gold Master yes. This beta no. There are work arounds but you need to be tech savy.
    11-04-2011 01:17 AM
    bought mines for $3 ebay
    11-04-2011 01:40 AM

Oh man have you hit the nail on the head.

Another classic: "I just had some 'light usage' and it's dead!!!!" - when 'light usage' for some might be 1 5 min phone call and one text message over the entire workday. And 'light usage' for a 16 year old is 'only' 500 texts, 37 tweets, and angry birds for 20 min on the way to school.
    11-04-2011 11:11 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD