Archiving Gmail emails (and other settings)

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I searched, but I didn't see an answer to this on here.

I have my Gmail account set up through Exchange on my iPhone 4S. When I go to the built-in mail client, there is no option to archive my email from there. So I've had to start using Safari to pull up Gmail. Also, how do I make it so that deleting (or, possibly, archiving) an email does not automatically bring me to the next email? I like to leave some "unread" for later.

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, now the built-in mail app is doing something else weird.

It is only showing two emails in my Inbox, when there are over 50 in there. WTF?

Please, help! :(

mbern1008

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe when you set up gmail through exchange even though it shows the trash icon it is really archiving. In order to delete a message you have to move it to the trash folder. I setup calendar and contacts through exchange and gmail through the gmail setup so I get some of the more advanced gmail options like starring and the choice of deleting/archiving

Reactions: NINnerd

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I believe when you set up gmail through exchange even though it shows the trash icon it is really archiving. In order to delete a message you have to move it to the trash folder. I setup calendar and contacts through exchange and gmail through the gmail setup so I get some of the more advanced gmail options like starring and the choice of deleting/archiving

Oh, so should I set up my calendar and contacts through Exchange and then set up my email separately? I will try that.

Yah, it's just acting weird.

Thanks for the response!!!

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, that seemed to fix the archiving problem. :) Thank you!

Quick question - can you not trash an email while on the screen with the email on it? I keep having to go back to "Inbox" and then clicking Edit and then moving it to the Trash. Pretty cumbersome.

Also, is there any way to make it so that when I am done with an email (I archive or trash it), that I am brought back to my Inbox?

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I was dealing with this last night. I had Exchange set up and I couldn't properly move emails to the trash folder in Gmail (it automatically archived it, no matter how I set up the settings on Gmail) so I ended up setting up the account as Gmail instead of Exchange and now if I move the emails into the trash folder it will delete them.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner