What do you want to see in iOS 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddgme

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
iCloud files storage app. Much like iDisk.

And of course a desktop component to that, so we can just drop files in either platform, and have the files show up everywhere. And I don't really care if Apple does it or a 3rd party dev, but I need that feature BADLY.

one word...Dropbox. Get it. Own it. Love it.

pddgme

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
There's an interesting trend going on here where I feel like a higher-than-usual % of new iPhone users are former BlackBerry users. This coincides with the recent failures of BlackBerry, and the fact that a lot of people got on 2-year contracts to get 9700's, which I feel like was the last solid device they made that wasn't GLARINGLY behind the times (though it was still not a full-featured smartphone).

So now what's happening is that the iPhone users are suggesting a lot of things that they could do on their BlackBerry as "fixes" for iOS 5.1. Which is not to say that they don't love their iPhone - I LOVE my 4s worlds beyond how I loved my BlackBerry. But there's just a list of things that my wife and I wish that the iPhone could do, or that Apple would LET you do:

- Sound Profiles (This one kills my wife. She wants to be able to kill some sounds, but not others. But all you can really do on iPhone is use the silent switch, which turns everything to off/vibrate. The plus side of this is that the mute switch is VERY convenient)

- iMessage doesn't work right (This is my biggest gripe. If you can't fix it so that messages are more reliable, at least give us a way to know that the message has been RECEIVED or VIEWED by the recipient. If the app can tell us when someone is typing, it should be able to tell us this)

- Bluetooth/Radio Switches on Home Screen (Really? We shouldn't need a jailbreak to do this. I feel like at least half of the people who complain about the 4s's battery life are people who don't manage their power usage correctly, but Apple makes it pretty inconvenient to turn off features you don't want to be using)

- Email: Mark Unread/Delete for ALL messages (Really, really? The number of unread emails in my badges hovers between 20 and 60 all day because there's no way I can keep up with junk mail across 2 email accounts. I understand that iOS 5 made it a new feature where you can "Edit" and check a bunch off, but they should've gone another step and allowed you to do all of them at once).

- One-touch empty App Task Bar/History list (Okay, so this isn't really relevant because people mistakenly believe that the app slider bar shows all the apps that are OPEN. It doesn't. It's more like an app history, as the OS automatically suspends apps after a short period of time, such that they use no data or battery. But for those of us who are OCD and still like to keep that slider empty, we shouldn't have to press the screen 40 times to close them all down. More of an annoyance than a real issue).

- SIRI. (I put this last because Siri needs major work. It's a wonderful idea, decent for marketing the phone, and occasionally it can be cute and useful. But the voice recognition is pretty bad and the only things I really WANT to use it for (namely, changing settings on the phone) apparently weren't even contemplated by Apple. Not going to happen in 5.1, but just putting that out there.)

Coming from blackberry, I can understand where you are coming from, but just so you don't have to wait so long, here are some fixes for a couple of your above items. I get around sound profiles with the accessibility settings. When I flip the switch to Silent, I have the accessibility notify with LED flashes and vibes still. This will also allow you to use multiple vibes for different things. It's not Blackberry's sound profiles (which was one of the few really awesome things about BB) but it's a viable workaround-ish sort of thing. (??) Also, in iMessage, you can't get a read receipt unless the user on the other end enables read receipts. As for the others you mentioned, I mostly agree...A delete all in the inbox would be nice. (They did it with phone calls) I'm one of those truly anal people that is constantly closing out apps, so there are never more than a dozen apps to close at any one time. AND I have a iP4 so no Siri for me, but I would like to see some kind of port over to the iP4. I think if Apple doesn't port it to more devices they are going to lose future market share in AI assistants. Most of the assistants out there are still Alpha, but Evi and Voice Actions are up and coming, and Vlingo does most of what those other two apps don't do. But now with Siri to prod them along, it will probably become an actual marketplace for AI assistants. I'd go so far as to say that I would buy Siri in the App Store if it came available. ($9.99-ish?) Finally, a resounding YES and SECOND to Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode switches in the Notification Center! This before anything else! Please.

Just my 2 cents.

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I just want freaking schedule-based notifications. Seriously, I would be happy with ios 5.1 for a very long time without any other upgrades, just give me simple schedule based notifications. The ringer switch just send the phone to vibrate which still wakes me up at night. And to turn everything off takes too long and I use my iphone for an alarm clock. Just let me kill all notifications for incoming calls according to a set it and forget it schedule I set and let me specify 2 or 3 people I want to ring through in case of an emergency.

Also, deletion of stuff in photstream. Perhaps even selective photstream where i have to actually add the picture instead of it being in photostream automatically.

Last edited:

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Can't remember if this has been mentioned before, but I want an option in Notification settings for making the Notification Center screen visible by default after unlocking the phone. If Apple won't allow the lock screen to show Notification Center, then this option would be the next best thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

distinctfriend

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
IOS 5.1 is similar to its previous version

As a die hardfan of apple procudts especially iphone i would like to see a great feutured IOS updates.But the IOS 5.1 was much similar to its previous version i was got bored of using same kind of styled ios may be it would be better in making changes in it looks and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen