disclaimer: I'm not an android fan-boy. i love my iPhone. i give my unbiased opinion no matter what

android got notifications right. apple did the best they could to emulate it without stealing too much, but is still not as good as android notifications. that can't be disputed.

It's definitely better than the system that used to be in place.
    10-25-2011 06:08 AM
    Being able to see a message from the lock screen is something android is missing and I would say that's the best part of the new notification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-25-2011 06:23 AM
    Being able to see a message from the lock screen is something android is missing and I would say that's the best part of the new notification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    indeed it is sir
    10-25-2011 06:24 AM
    The only think I wish I had was a notification light, like the one I had on my BB. But then again, it's not to hard to hit the home button to see if there are any notifications on the lock screen.
    Last edited by E_Brown; 10-25-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    10-25-2011 08:28 AM
    Yeah lock screen notifications are nice

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.620182,-0.781611
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-25-2011 08:31 AM
    you know what else? if i clear my Facebook notifications from the notification center, i want that red number icon to disappear as well
    10-25-2011 08:35 AM
    there are 2 little features that i wish for; statusbar notifications and the ability to activate the NC from the Lockscreen

both of these WILL be achieved through jailbreaking, imagine that..
    10-25-2011 08:36 AM
    you know what else? if i clear my Facebook notifications from the notification center, i want that red number icon to disappear as well
    In a way it is good that they left the "red number icon" because most people forget about things and it reminds them that they have to check Facebook or any other app.
    10-25-2011 08:36 AM
    I agree, clearing the notification from the screen should also remove the red dot on the app. But overall I'm liking the new notification center.
    10-25-2011 09:33 AM
    i just wish notification center could be pulled down on the lockscreen
    Infiniti7 likes this.
    10-25-2011 09:43 AM
    I think its up to the developer of the app how they want to do notifications..
    10-25-2011 01:01 PM
    Quick reply to texts, and I wish I could clear individual notifications, not all for a specific app at once.
    10-25-2011 04:04 PM
    Yeah, the iOS 5 notifications are definitely an improvement, but for me it's a downgrade. I've been using LockInfo for a couple years and LockInfo was 100% perfect and the way the notifications should be. I originally used it to replace the stock iOS 5 system, but LockInfo isn't working that reliably on OS 5 yet. Most of my notifications don't even show up right away or at all, unless it's mail or SMS. But Twitter, Words With Friends, FaceBook, etc rarely show up on LockInfo at the time the sound for the notification rings. So I had to go back to the stock system, which works flawlessly. It's just so limited coming from a fully functioned LockInfo groove on OS 4!
    10-25-2011 05:15 PM
    This could be a problem when the phone is locked, tapping messages by accident
    10-25-2011 05:35 PM
    This. I keep finding myself trying to pull it down from the lock screen. I'm sure it's probably a security risk if you could pull down the notification center from the lock screen, though.
    10-25-2011 08:37 PM
    The only think I wish I had was a notification light, like the one I had on my BB. But then again, it's not to hard to hit the home button to see if there are any notifications on the lock screen.
    When my wife and i both had Blackberrys,(we now have iPhones), she loved that little red notification light (not me though). She's due for an upgrade just before Christmas, and asked me to find out if the new iPhone4S has that light on it. Thanks.
    Last edited by grunt0300; 10-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    10-25-2011 09:11 PM
    This could be a problem when the phone is locked, tapping messages by accident
    How? You'd have to pull the notification center down before tapping a MSG by accident? Or am I reading what you wrote wrong???

Sent from my 3G iPad 2 using Tapatalk
    10-25-2011 09:14 PM
    I agree with the app badge going away if I clear out the notification in in notification center. I would also like the calendar event notification alerts to stay in notification center until I dismiss them. Currently they clear once the event starts. What if you don't check the phone until after? No alert and you might miss event. That one to me is easy.

Reminders should have option to display in calendar as well. That we we could have a one glance option.
    10-25-2011 10:25 PM
    Blackberry is still the king for notifications, imo.
    10-25-2011 10:27 PM
    Blackberry is still the king for notifications, imo.
    agreed.

If Apple ads status bar notifications and fixes the calendar event notification expiration issue it would be king.
    10-25-2011 10:47 PM
    I think webOS still has the best notifications of any phone/tablet platform.
    10-26-2011 10:46 AM
    agreed.

If Apple ads status bar notifications and fixes the calendar event notification expiration issue it would be king.
    I really don't think "status bar notifications are necessary". With the lock screen notifications ( so you can see what has come through since your phone locked ) and notification center, I think that notifications are adequately displayed. I've had status bar notifications before ( jailbreak ) and it really gets cluttered.
    10-26-2011 12:18 PM
    Like the OP said, I would LOVE app badges to clear when I "clear" them in notification center. I don't get the point of clearing in notification center if you have to still go into the app to clear the badge. I also wish more apps would be iCloud compatible so I don't have to keep clearing notifications on iPad/iPod touch etc.
    10-26-2011 02:36 PM
    I agree with the app badge going away if I clear out the notification in in notification center. I would also like the calendar event notification alerts to stay in notification center until I dismiss them. Currently they clear once the event starts. What if you don't check the phone until after? No alert and you might miss event. That one to me is easy.

Reminders should have option to display in calendar as well. That we we could have a one glance option.
    It goes back to the theory that tasks & reminders are checklist items and calendars are for events. Tasks need to be checked off and calendar events happen whether or not you attend, so they disappear after the time allotted.

I understand what you're saying, because I've used my calendar that way in the past to remind me to do things, but that's not really an event. It's a task that I have to complete by a certain date / time.
    10-26-2011 02:39 PM
    Like the OP said, I would LOVE app badges to clear when I "clear" them in notification center. I don't get the point of clearing in notification center if you have to still go into the app to clear the badge. I also wish more apps would be iCloud compatible so I don't have to keep clearing notifications on iPad/iPod touch etc.
    To me, they are two different ways of notifying me of something so I use them in two different ways. Basically, I put anything in the notification center that I feel like I can clear without checking the app (Tweetbot, Calendar, etc.) and turn off the badges for that. Stuff that I want to bother me, I use both (or just the badge) to remind me to go check the app. Works well for me anyway.
    10-26-2011 02:41 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD