iPhone Notifications Better But Still Not as Good

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
agreed.

If Apple ads status bar notifications and fixes the calendar event notification expiration issue it would be king.

I really don't think "status bar notifications are necessary". With the lock screen notifications ( so you can see what has come through since your phone locked ) and notification center, I think that notifications are adequately displayed. I've had status bar notifications before ( jailbreak ) and it really gets cluttered.

mlg321

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Like the OP said, I would LOVE app badges to clear when I "clear" them in notification center. I don't get the point of clearing in notification center if you have to still go into the app to clear the badge. I also wish more apps would be iCloud compatible so I don't have to keep clearing notifications on iPad/iPod touch etc.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the app badge going away if I clear out the notification in in notification center. I would also like the calendar event notification alerts to stay in notification center until I dismiss them. Currently they clear once the event starts. What if you don't check the phone until after? No alert and you might miss event. That one to me is easy.

Reminders should have option to display in calendar as well. That we we could have a one glance option.

It goes back to the theory that tasks & reminders are checklist items and calendars are for events. Tasks need to be checked off and calendar events happen whether or not you attend, so they disappear after the time allotted.

I understand what you're saying, because I've used my calendar that way in the past to remind me to do things, but that's not really an event. It's a task that I have to complete by a certain date / time.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Like the OP said, I would LOVE app badges to clear when I "clear" them in notification center. I don't get the point of clearing in notification center if you have to still go into the app to clear the badge. I also wish more apps would be iCloud compatible so I don't have to keep clearing notifications on iPad/iPod touch etc.

To me, they are two different ways of notifying me of something so I use them in two different ways. Basically, I put anything in the notification center that I feel like I can clear without checking the app (Tweetbot, Calendar, etc.) and turn off the badges for that. Stuff that I want to bother me, I use both (or just the badge) to remind me to go check the app. Works well for me anyway. :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
To me, they are two different ways of notifying me of something so I use them in two different ways. Basically, I put anything in the notification center that I feel like I can clear without checking the app (Tweetbot, Calendar, etc.) and turn off the badges for that. Stuff that I want to bother me, I use both (or just the badge) to remind me to go check the app. Works well for me anyway. :)

very good point. i think some of us, myself included, will always want more no matter what Apple brings to the table. however, the current system will indeed work, that's for sure

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think "status bar notifications are necessary". With the lock screen notifications ( so you can see what has come through since your phone locked ) and notification center, I think that notifications are adequately displayed. I've had status bar notifications before ( jailbreak ) and it really gets cluttered.

(This is a copy and paste from a post of mine from a different thread, so this is not directly aimed at you :) )

The lockscreen is not enough.

"Why? Because if I have 3 different notifications on the lockscreen, (1 for mail, 1 for facebook, 1 for twitter) and I go into ONE of them, then lock my phone...then next time I see the lockscreen, there is nothing there. The facebook and twitter notifications no longer show on the lockscreen. They DO still show in the notification center, but not on the lockscreen. If I had the icons in the notification bar at the top, I could easily remember that I have 2 notifications left waiting for me. I think Apple missed the boat on that one. Not sure why the lockscreen 'resets' after you access one of the notifications. At least give us an option to not do that"

If you have items on the lockscreen, and you access just ONE of those notifications, the next time you unlock your phone, NOTHING is on the lock screen. So the only way to even remember that you had a notification pending 10 minutes later is to actually unlock the phone again, which is what the old iOS gave us. It's like Apple said "you get one crack at having the lockscreen be useful for you. After that, we will blank it out."

If icons were there (or a blinking LED, which is another discussion - NO idea how iPhones still don't have this - and no, the one-time flashing of the camera LED on the BACK of the phone when a notification comes in is not the same thing), I would only have to unlock my phone to remember that I have several notifications waiting. Unlocking the phone and hoping I'm on the right page of icons to see a badge is not ideal. There is nothing at the top of the screen, like Android, that tells me, "Hey, I should swipe down the notification panel." It's just lazy on Apple's part.

Still love the phone for the most part though :)

Reactions: redbeard

jglev

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
(This is a copy and paste from a post of mine from a different thread, so this is not directly aimed at you :) )

"Why? Because if I have 3 different notifications on the lockscreen, (1 for mail, 1 for facebook, 1 for twitter) and I go into ONE of them, then lock my phone...then next time I see the lockscreen, there is nothing there. The facebook and twitter notifications no longer show on the lockscreen. They DO still show in the notification center, but not on the lockscreen. If I had the icons in the notification bar at the top, I could easily remember that I have 2 notifications left waiting for me. I think Apple missed the boat on that one. Not sure why the lockscreen 'resets' after you access one of the notifications. At least give us an option to not do that"

If you have items on the lockscreen, and you access just ONE of those notifications, the next time you unlock your phone, NOTHING is on the lock screen. So the only way to even remember that you had a notification pending 10 minutes later is to actually unlock the phone again, which is what the old iOS gave us. It's like Apple said "you get one crack at having the lockscreen be useful for you. After that, we will blank it out."

If icons were there (or a blinking LED, which is another discussion - NO idea how iPhones still don't have this - and no, the one-time flashing of the camera LED on the BACK of the phone when a notification comes in is not the same thing), I would only have to unlock my phone to remember that I have several notifications waiting. Unlocking the phone and hoping I'm on the right page of icons to see a badge is not ideal. There is nothing at the top of the screen, like Android, that tells me, "Hey, I should swipe down the notification panel." It's just lazy on Apple's part.

I agree. There needs to be some sort of status bar reminder, but I don't think I need an icon for every notification on the status bar. One icon representing notifications (maybe a triangle with an exclaimation) in the status bar could appear so you know that there are still notifications in the NC. Have it so that the icon doesn't clear until you clear all the notifications, so it you have two notifications in the NC and you address one, the icon is still there until you address the second one. It's simple, intuitive and won't clutter up the status bar.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree. There needs to be some sort of status bar reminder, but I don't think I need an icon for every notification on the status bar. One icon representing notifications (maybe a triangle with an exclaimation) in the status bar could appear so you know that there are still notifications in the NC. Have it so that the icon doesn't clear until you clear all the notifications, so it you have two notifications in the NC and you address one, the icon is still there until you address the second one. It's simple, intuitive and won't clutter up the status bar.

I still like having symbols that are actionable. I'd rather get to my email, SMS, or app without having to go to the nc first. I don't mind the clutter as long as it is functional and informative. That why I loved webOS notifications and it never had a feeling of clutter. It was simple and powerful.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I like it the way it is now.

I like it more than amy other platform. I currently still have all the major ones now.

Sent from my 3G iPad 2 using Tapatalk

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site

I understand where you are coming from, don't get me wrong. I completely understand your arguments and can see why you feel the way you do. Prior to ios 5 I was a jailbreaker and used LockInfo and Notifier ( I think that's what it was called ), anyways, so I understand what you like about status bar icons and the lock screen information.

That said, with ios 5 I've rejoined "team pure" (at least for the time being, I always spend a few months with any new os with as few tweaks as possible ) and adjusted my previous workflow to work with the iOS 5 enhancements.

A major complaint of yours is that notifications of yours clear off the lockscreen (wow, my phone kept wanting to change that word to locks teen wtf? Lol ). When I first installed iOS 5 I was disappointed that I didn't see my upcoming calendar events ( even for today) on the screen. I, like you thought "Apple missed the boat". Then I kept using it...and using it and I came to find I liked it ( with exception of the calendar event ) more than LockInfo. You're thinking I'm crazy, and that's fine but I'll continue explaining for insanities sake anyways ;). I found that withthe lockscreen notifications I was now just seeing what had happened on my phone since the past time I locked it. No longer was I having to look at a list of 4 or 5 emails, 2 or 3 texts and whatever else, I saw maybe 1 text and an email or two. When I answered one of those from the lockscreen I could then pull down notification center and deal with any other unanswered notifications I decided to deal with, but the ones I "missed" while away had already been presented to me at the lockscreen.

I definitely wish the lockscreen had a place to show upcoming calendar events, it would be nice to see th meetings that I have scheduled for today, so that's where we will agree, but I disagree on the "missing the boat" phrase.

As per the "blinking led" I don't think we will see an iPhone with a notification light like you see on a blackberry and many other devices. It's not very "Apple" so to speak. What I do see happening is that once OLED in implemented into the iOS device line they will be able to light up a small portion of the display and can simulate the notification light of many existing devices and still have it be "Apple"esque by using as few parts as possible (sleek and smooth not just on the outside but the inside as well).

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
As per the "blinking led" I don't think we will see an iPhone with a notification light like you see on a blackberry and many other devices. It's not very "Apple" so to speak. What I do see happening is that once OLED in implemented into the iOS device line they will be able to light up a small portion of the display and can simulate the notification light of many existing devices and still have it be "Apple"esque by using as few parts as possible (sleek and smooth not just on the outside but the inside as well).

The home button should glow, and that would be the notification light.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, the last thing I want is my phone blinking at me. I check it when I'm ready to check it, or if I'm waiting on something important. Otherwise it can wait. I don't want a little red light or lit up home button (although it wouldn't matter in my Defender case) whining at me. :D

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, the last thing I want is my phone blinking at me. I check it when I'm ready to check it, or if I'm waiting on something important. Otherwise it can wait. I don't want a little red light or lit up home button (although it wouldn't matter in my Defender case) whining at me. :D

Sometimes something important is not planned. If you were away from your phone and missed an important call/text, it's nice to be able to walk in the room and know immediately without picking up your phone that you missed that call/message. It could be an emergency from a loved one. I missed a call from my girlfriend who needed a jump because I didn't realize I missed anything. All I did was step outside for minute to talk to a neighbor. I didn't happen to check my phone till a half hour later.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes something important is not planned. If you were away from your phone and missed an important call/text, it's nice to be able to walk in the room and know immediately without picking up your phone that you missed that call/message. It could be an emergency from a loved one. I missed a call from my girlfriend who needed a jump because I didn't realize I missed anything. All I did was step outside for minute to talk to a neighbor. I didn't happen to check my phone till a half hour later.

I guess it's just habit to check my phone when I get back. :) Either way, if they ever add something like that, an "off" setting can make everyone happy.

Bizarre

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I came from using multiple blackberry's for a little over a year, I have to say the notification light was very useful and one of the few features that made me stay with bb's as long as I did. I understand some users would like this and some wouldn't, that's why there is an option to turn it on or off. Not complaining, couldn't care less actually, but if they were to add this on the next gen iPhones, it is not something I would shy away from.