Do you use Mac/PC or iCloud for device backup?

Do you use Mac/PC or iCloud for your device backups?

• Mac/PC

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • iCloud

Votes: 34 53.1%

• Total voters

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use iCloud for everything but have google for contacts and calendars for some reason thou iCloud won't back up my contacts prob cuz there on google and not the actual phone so no biggie

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
PC. But i sync daily anyway.. I'd have to pay for more storage with icloud and don't feel it's worthwhile yet.

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm doing both. Backup with wire on iTunes and usually do an iCloud backup on the phone.

I do the same thing. I backup to my computer at least once a day just because I change things on my phone so much. I let the cloud do it's thing every night so that I can restore my phone from anywhere if I don't have my computer or just don't feel like taking it out.

Crisdean

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you mean to put put iPad and iPhone on iCloud? I see you said 'it's too time consuming with teh phone'.

Ups! Typing too fast on the iPad. Backing up the iPad over iCloud and the iPhone on PC as it holds too much data and it would take multiple hours to upload. Not worth the hassle if the PC backup takes 2 minutes.

If the upload speeds of the UK providers were faster iCloud was awesome. Think Apple is yet again a few years ahead with their solutions. The idea is great but I don't know any ISP who offers at least 5MB upload speeds here in Europe.

tnrambler

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Currently using iCloud backup only. I'm running Tiger on my iBook G4 and while I can download pictures to iPhoto, iTunes doesn't work with this phone (iTunes is at 9.2.1 the last build for PPC machines). Contacts and calendar are through Google so they are sync'd with both laptop and phone.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ups! Typing too fast on the iPad. Backing up the iPad over iCloud and the iPhone on PC as it holds too much data and it would take multiple hours to upload. Not worth the hassle if the PC backup takes 2 minutes.

If the upload speeds of the UK providers were faster iCloud was awesome. Think Apple is yet again a few years ahead with their solutions. The idea is great but I don't know any ISP who offers at least 5MB upload speeds here in Europe.

The first-initial iCloud backup takes a while (up to several hours depending on how much info needs to be backed up), but after that, nightly backups are very quick - seconds or minutes.

epb

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The first-initial iCloud backup takes a while (up to several hours depending on how much info needs to be backed up), but after that, nightly backups are very quick - seconds or minutes.

Depends on how much data we're talking, connection speed, etc. - my first backup was 20 hours. Granted, that was more than the 5GB freebie, as I got the MobileMe upgrade but if I ever needed to backup to or restore from the full 25GB, I'd need to schedule some vacation time. ;)

Like many, my plan is to use the iCloud daily, back-up to my pc once a month or so.

iSurf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i use icloud because i no longer have a pc or a mac, what if i delete something today that i backed up yesterday? Is it still up there?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I might be wrong but I thought the icloud backups were only done when the iphone was charging AND on a wifi connection, but i was able to make bakups with the phone only on wifi, did apple change this recently?? I've done three manual icloud backups without issues

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I might be wrong but I thought the icloud backups were only done when the iphone was charging AND on a wifi connection, but i was able to make bakups with the phone only on wifi, did apple change this recently?? I've done three manual icloud backups without issues

You can backup manually any time you are connected to WiFi, but automatic backups will only happen when the phone is charging.

Reactions: Guacho

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been backing up to my PC since initially having problems with the iCloud backup. I'm sure I'll use it in the future, but for now I'm good.