View Poll Results: Do you use Mac/PC or iCloud for your device backups?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac/PC

30 46.88%
  • iCloud

34 53.13%
    iPad on iCloud and phone on iCloud. It's too time consuming with teh phone.
    Did you mean to put put iPad and iPhone on iCloud? I see you said 'it's too time consuming with teh phone'.
    10-22-2011 04:09 PM
    I'm doing both. Backup with wire on iTunes and usually do an iCloud backup on the phone.
    I do the same thing. I backup to my computer at least once a day just because I change things on my phone so much. I let the cloud do it's thing every night so that I can restore my phone from anywhere if I don't have my computer or just don't feel like taking it out.
    10-22-2011 05:55 PM
    i do both!
    10-22-2011 07:25 PM
    Both. They're not mutually exclusive.
    10-23-2011 01:29 AM
    Did you mean to put put iPad and iPhone on iCloud? I see you said 'it's too time consuming with teh phone'.
    Ups! Typing too fast on the iPad. Backing up the iPad over iCloud and the iPhone on PC as it holds too much data and it would take multiple hours to upload. Not worth the hassle if the PC backup takes 2 minutes.

If the upload speeds of the UK providers were faster iCloud was awesome. Think Apple is yet again a few years ahead with their solutions. The idea is great but I don't know any ISP who offers at least 5MB upload speeds here in Europe.
    10-23-2011 04:29 AM
    Currently using iCloud backup only. I'm running Tiger on my iBook G4 and while I can download pictures to iPhoto, iTunes doesn't work with this phone (iTunes is at 9.2.1 the last build for PPC machines). Contacts and calendar are through Google so they are sync'd with both laptop and phone.
    10-23-2011 07:05 AM
    Ups! Typing too fast on the iPad. Backing up the iPad over iCloud and the iPhone on PC as it holds too much data and it would take multiple hours to upload. Not worth the hassle if the PC backup takes 2 minutes.

If the upload speeds of the UK providers were faster iCloud was awesome. Think Apple is yet again a few years ahead with their solutions. The idea is great but I don't know any ISP who offers at least 5MB upload speeds here in Europe.
    The first-initial iCloud backup takes a while (up to several hours depending on how much info needs to be backed up), but after that, nightly backups are very quick - seconds or minutes.
    10-23-2011 09:33 AM
    The first-initial iCloud backup takes a while (up to several hours depending on how much info needs to be backed up), but after that, nightly backups are very quick - seconds or minutes.
    Depends on how much data we're talking, connection speed, etc. - my first backup was 20 hours. Granted, that was more than the 5GB freebie, as I got the MobileMe upgrade but if I ever needed to backup to or restore from the full 25GB, I'd need to schedule some vacation time.

Like many, my plan is to use the iCloud daily, back-up to my pc once a month or so.
    10-23-2011 01:17 PM
    I'll give it a try tomorrow afternoon and see what's happening.
    10-23-2011 04:24 PM
    I've been using iCloud but my backup is only 645MB as well haha
    10-23-2011 04:34 PM
    Ok so i use icloud because i no longer have a pc or a mac, what if i delete something today that i backed up yesterday? Is it still up there?
    10-23-2011 08:25 PM
    I might be wrong but I thought the icloud backups were only done when the iphone was charging AND on a wifi connection, but i was able to make bakups with the phone only on wifi, did apple change this recently?? I've done three manual icloud backups without issues
    10-23-2011 10:15 PM
    I might be wrong but I thought the icloud backups were only done when the iphone was charging AND on a wifi connection, but i was able to make bakups with the phone only on wifi, did apple change this recently?? I've done three manual icloud backups without issues
    You can backup manually any time you are connected to WiFi, but automatic backups will only happen when the phone is charging.
    Guacho likes this.
    10-23-2011 11:34 PM
    I've been backing up to my PC since initially having problems with the iCloud backup. I'm sure I'll use it in the future, but for now I'm good.
    10-24-2011 01:29 AM
    When it will work correctly. Matter of time
    10-25-2011 04:02 AM
    I think some of you are confusing iCloud and iTunes backup over WLAN. I prefer the automatic nightly iTunes backup over WLAN on my Mac. The is as convenient as iCloud backup without wasting cloud space. The backup of my iPad would be 9 GB anyway, so not really fitting in 5 GB.
    10-25-2011 07:52 AM
    Just pc do you know why? In my country i have got 60kb/s for download and 20kb/s for upload.... Is this ****ing upload useful for icloud? Ofcourse no
    10-25-2011 04:16 PM
    I have only been doing Mac backups. Was going to do a iCloud but it said "IPhone can no longer back to your computer automatically when you sync to iTunes". So if I create a iCloud backup, I can still backup to my Mac?
    10-25-2011 10:29 PM
    I have only been doing Mac backups. Was going to do a iCloud but it said "IPhone can no longer back to your computer automatically when you sync to iTunes". So if I create a iCloud backup, I can still backup to my Mac?
    Yea just right click your iPhone in iTunes and create backup
    Garz likes this.
    10-26-2011 07:55 AM
    Yea just right click your iPhone in iTunes and create backup
    awesome thanks
    10-26-2011 11:47 AM
    Yep plugged it in and started. It was much quicker that time round and backups are now a breeze! thanks for letting me know. It seems that when I tried it the very first time the servers were busy as it only took 2 hours now. Incremential ones are now definitely quicker
    10-27-2011 07:59 AM
    I really like the iCloud backup, but have turned it off for emails and calenders as I use IMAP and Google Calendar so it's not needed.
    10-27-2011 02:20 PM
    I really like the iCloud backup, but have turned it off for emails and calenders as I use IMAP and Google Calendar so it's not needed.
    Same here. I use google/gmail for mail, calendar & contacts. I leave those options "off" in iCloud Having both google and iCloud sync at the same time causes big headaches - duplicate entries etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-27-2011 09:16 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD