OMG I'm in love with the Emoji keyboard

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not just for the 4S. It's part of the IOS5 upgrade, and yes it is great.

Cripes, I knew that and I didn't mention it. I just re-read my post and it does sound like I was saying it was a 4S exclusive.

Sorry! It most certainly is an iOS5 feature for all :)

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
actually if you downloaded an app on iOS 4.x it enabled this exact keyboard. app was emoji free or something i think.

wingnut73

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
From the link in the first post:
To enable the standard Emoji international keyboard, go to the Settings app, navigate to General > Keyboard > International Keyboards and tap Add New Keyboard? From the list of international keyboard layouts choose Emoji.

Todd M

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
It works great on my VZW 4S, but when I sent any to my wife's VZW Thunderbolt, they all come up as squares. They appear to be the same Emoji icons that Handcent uses, but they don't go across to that phone on the same carrier?

Thoughts? :confused:

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It works great on my VZW 4S, but when I sent any to my wife's VZW Thunderbolt, they all come up as squares. They appear to be the same Emoji icons that Handcent uses, but they don't go across to that phone on the same carrier?

Only other iPhone users will be able to see them.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

What happens when she sends emoji to you?

Todd M

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
What happens when she sends emoji to you?

I can see the Emoji's she sends from the Thunderbolt, but not the other way. Is that true that only other iPhone users would be the only ones to see them? Seems odd it can go from TB-iP but not the other way and we are on the same carrier...

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I can see the Emoji's she sends from the Thunderbolt, but not the other way. Is that true that only other iPhone users would be the only ones to see them? Seems odd it can go from TB-iP but not the other way and we are on the same carrier...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3377469?start=0&tstart=0

Looks like according to this, Apple changed the way they encode Emojis between iOS 5 and iOS 4. So I guess until Handcent updates it to be compatible, it'll just show up as a bunch of squares.

Reactions: Todd M

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I had this on my 4. People always go crazy and beg me to tell them where I got it. I make them to strange favors! LOL!

gewappnet

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Emoji support was ALWAYS available in iOS (formerly known as iPhone OS). View of Emojis was possible all over the world, while the input keyboard was activated in Japan only. But there were several apps in the store to activate the keyboard in non-japanese countries. I think it is pretty strange that there are people in this forum who didn't know this. Anyway, in iOS 5 it is no longer necessary to use these apps.

The reason for the mentioned problems is probably that certain carriers do not support the full range of UTF-8 in SMS. I don't think, Apple changed the codes for the used Emojis in iOS 5.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it is pretty strange that there are people in this forum who didn't know this. Anyway, in iOS 5 it is no longer necessary to use these apps.

This is my first iPhone :( sorry! I'm new here...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR