Delta updates

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought one of the new bits in iOS 5 was delta updates. I took this to mean that when I update either the OS or individual apps via the update button in the app store, that it would no longer redownload the entire app rather just the bits that have changed resulting in much faster updates

Does anyone know if this is the case? Doesn't seem to be updating apps any quicker to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought one of the new bits in iOS 5 was delta updates. I took this to mean that when I update either the OS or individual apps via the update button in the app store, that it would no longer redownload the entire app rather just the bits that have changed resulting in much faster updates

Does anyone know if this is the case? Doesn't seem to be updating apps any quicker to me

Just the OS. Not the apps, they have nothing to do with it.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Delta updates is enabled for the OS, but I don't think it is for the apps.

The idea is that they can now patch the operating system and do it over the air instead of plugging in your phone for such a long time while it re-installs the whole operating system.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, the patch process only applies to OTA updates. If you update through iTunes, you get the whole thing again - at least that's how it worked in the Beta phase.

Were there delta updates in the beta? from beta to beta maybe. If you could update faster using WiFi and not have to sync with iTunes, why would you?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
delta updates during the beta process

delta updates did not take long at all and they could be done over 3G

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Were there delta updates in the beta? from beta to beta maybe. If you could update faster using WiFi and not have to sync with iTunes, why would you?

Yes from beta to beta (in most cases - a couple required full updated, as did the upgrade to GM), brom about beta 4 or 5 on.

Why would I? To get a clean install. And to make sure I had a good back up. Sync/backup the phone, upgrade iTunes, do the iOS update, restore from the fresh backup.

The iCloud backups were also not available until near the end of the beta process.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Here's hoping deltas get rolled out to app updates too at some stage.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Delta updates are available under 3G, but will clog between 70 - 100 megs at most. They also will not install unless you have more than 50% battery life left.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, the patch process only applies to OTA updates. If you update through iTunes, you get the whole thing again - at least that's how it worked in the Beta phase.

Is it better to do a "clean install" over iTunes or is a Delta update just as good/complete etc. . . ??

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Clean installs are great for full versions, ie 4.x to 5. But delta updates are incremental and designed as patches, not requiring clean installs.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is it better to do a "clean install" over iTunes or is a Delta update just as good/complete etc. . . ??

A delta update should be just as good and complete - at least it SHOULD be.

A clean full install might be preferable to you if you just want use the old tried and true method. It also won't use any data on your data plan.

KashSystems

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
A delta update should be just as good and complete - at least it SHOULD be.

A clean full install might be preferable to you if you just want use the old tried and true method. It also won't use any data on your data plan.

If you are worried about your data plan because the delta updates iirc were around 100 megs they can be done over wifi. Having done all the delta updates except either beta 6 or 7 (one of them you had to do a clean install do not recall) on my old 3gs I had zero hiccups.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you are worried about your data plan because the delta updates iirc were around 100 megs they can be done over wifi. Having done all the delta updates except either beta 6 or 7 (one of them you had to do a clean install do not recall) on my old 3gs I had zero hiccups.

Can we do a Delta update plugged into iTunes? Or is it wireless only?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Can we do a Delta update plugged into iTunes? Or is it wireless only?

Upgrading through iTunes gets you the whole new version, OTA gets you the deltas. At least that how the betas worked. I don't really see why Apple could not release delta updates via iTunes, but so far, they haven't.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Upgrading through iTunes gets you the whole new version, OTA gets you the deltas. At least that how the betas worked. I don't really see why Apple could not release delta updates via iTunes, but so far, they haven't.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods