Hey, everyone. First time iphone user with the 4s and looooving it!

Anyway, I know that the older iphones would not allow for the adding of custom alert tones (unless jailbroken) in the same way that you could add mp3 ringtones from your itunes library simply by changing the extension if your song was non-DRM.

I wasn't sure if, with the addition of the tone store, which sells alert tones within itunes, that also opened up the ability to take an mp3 and add it as an alert tone instead of a ringtone.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated! I have my ringtones where I want them, if I could get the alert tones there, I'd be set!
    10-16-2011 03:14 PM
    Hey, everyone. First time iphone user with the 4s and looooving it!

Anyway, I know that the older iphones would not allow for the adding of custom alert tones (unless jailbroken) in the same way that you could add mp3 ringtones from your itunes library simply by changing the extension if your song was non-DRM.

I wasn't sure if, with the addition of the tone store, which sells alert tones within itunes, that also opened up the ability to take an mp3 and add it as an alert tone instead of a ringtone.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated! I have my ringtones where I want them, if I could get the alert tones there, I'd be set!
    Yes, you can use custom tones for things now, all you have to do is convert your mp3 tone to m4r and your good to go.

How to convert an mp3 or m4a file to an iPhone Ringtone
    10-16-2011 03:31 PM
    The ringtones can be used as alert tones now as well...just select them. Making alert tones would be the same procedure as before...
    10-16-2011 03:33 PM
    Thanks for your help! I think the issue I was having was I created only one tone to use as a ringtone and after selecting it, I couldn't use it as a text tone so assumed it was still locked. I guess the phone just won't allow me to use the same ringtone as text tone. I'm all set now!
    10-16-2011 03:42 PM
    This is awesome! Being a BB user one thing I love is customizable Sound Profiles and being able to assign different alerts. This is good info to know if I want to switch to iPhone
    10-16-2011 03:45 PM
    Any thoughts much appreciated. I just bought an alert tone from iTunes and selected it from settings> sounds>text tone. But it does not sound when I receive a text.
    When I switch the tone to another option like 'bell', the text tone does sound,
    Any thoughts?

Thank you.
    10-31-2011 06:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD