iTunes wif-fi sync

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
So right now the only way I can get iTunes to sync to my iPhone 4 over wi-fi is 1) opening up iTunes, and 2) plugging my phone into my laptop. Which is the same way I sync the normal way. So I'm not really getting what wi-fi sync does or is supposed to do.

I've read where people are saying you should sync once the normal way and then wi-fi sync works; I've done that and it doesn't seem to make a difference. And, yes, I've checked off the wi-fi sync option in iTunes.

If anyone can shed some light that would be great.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
The settings page says that you must be plugged in to a power source to wifi sync. Also assuming that your pc must be on (not asleep or in standby) with iTunes running.

isrararrafi

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
under settings>general there is an option for wi-fi sync...go there and try to force a sync manually.

and it's supposed to sync when plugged in to a power outlet and charging.

it syncs flawlessly with my mac. i tried syncing it over wifi with windows and itunes kept losing the connection to the ipad. maybe i should try a wired syncing with windows first and then try syncing wirelessly

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
under settings>general there is an option for wi-fi sync...go there and try to force a sync manually.

This doesn't seem to work for me. The "sync now" button is grayed out until I plug my phone into my computer and it shows up as a device in iTunes.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't seem to work for me. The "sync now" button is grayed out until I plug my phone into my computer and it shows up as a device in iTunes.

For what it's worth... I just tried this on my iphone and ipad. The 'sync now' button is not grayed out on mine, but it doesn't appear to do anything when you click it because it says my pc is not available (even though it is). However, both of them will wifi sync manually if I press the sync button in itunes.

After I was done, i plugged both into the wall chargers. Both of them wifi synced again after doing so, according to itunes.

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I've tried everything that everyone here mentioned, including the website, and nothing seems to work. The only way I can get both devices to sync is when I have my phone plugged into the the computer, and it shows up as a device in iTunes. I have no idea what I'm doing incorrectly :confused:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So you set it up as described in the link in my last post, AND you're plugged into a power outlet, AND iTunes is running, and it still won't sync? Just want to make sure we've got all the steps right.

EDIT: Just to give you a run through, I just tested this out on my own phone. Here's what worked for me:

-plug phone into iTunes
-in Summary panel, under Options (you may need to scroll down to see this), check "Sync with this iPhone over Wifi"
-click Apply
-Sync your phone while it's still connected to iTunes. I think I initiated the sync by hitting the Sync Now button on my phone, but if that doesn't work use the Sync button in iTunes. Note! I think this is the most important step.
-When that sync is done, you should be good to eject the phone and find that Wifi Sync is up and running.

Good luck!

Last edited:

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
So you set it up as described in the link in my last post, AND you're plugged into a power outlet, AND iTunes is running, and it still won't sync? Just want to make sure we've got all the steps right.

EDIT: Just to give you a run through, I just tested this out on my own phone. Here's what worked for me:

-plug phone into iTunes
-in Summary panel, under Options (you may need to scroll down to see this), check "Sync with this iPhone over Wifi"
-click Apply
-Sync your phone while it's still connected to iTunes. I think I initiated the sync by hitting the Sync Now button on my phone, but if that doesn't work use the Sync button in iTunes. Note! I think this is the most important step.
-When that sync is done, you should be good to eject the phone and find that Wifi Sync is up and running.

Good luck!

So I followed those steps exactly. But when I eject the phone, the "Sync Now" button on the phone gets gray and cannot be activated.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Aha, figured it out on my end at least...in my iTunes Preferences>Devices, I had the "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" box checked. Once I unchecked that, saved, and restarted iTunes, all was well and the grayed out Sync Now on my iPhone lit up again. (You may also need to restart your phone, though mine seems to be just fine.)

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel bad, igorsky. You're not alone. I can't get my phone to sync over wi-fi either. Been following the prompts here and have the same experiences as you. I am using Windows XP. Could this be the issue? I read that iCloud is not supposed to work on XP. The first time I clicked SYNC NOW it looked like it was working, but then I got the message that it was waiting for my computer to become available. It was and is so not sure why it's not working.

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, not only does sync not work on my iphone, it does not work on my ipad2 which is updated to ios5 also. The computer is hooked directly to the router. The iphone and ipad are, of course, wireless. Can this be an issue? Something to do with the settings in the router? (Not that I'd know how to fix it!) Message says on both.. sync will resume when the computer becomes available... which it is.

jayes

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Still trying to get sync working via wi-fi...

One thing I discovered is that while I had itunes running, I had not signed in. When I signed in, the gray SYNC NOW button turned black on my phone and I was able to sync. But doing the same thing on the ipad did not get the same result. I thought I had it figured out, :confused: but I'm getting closer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice