Which is best way to do it?? Does it matter?
    10-13-2011 09:45 PM
    In my opinion? Update all your apps, do a full back-up to iTunes, note the time, then reset your iPad back to factory so it's completely blank. Perform the update and once it's in, restore from that back-up. The two chief issues people seem to be running into are:

1) They get 98% done, the server times out, and iTunes kicks them back to Step 1, doing the full recovery bit again. This is the longest part and since my iPad was empty, this took no time. The install failed on me 5 times yesterday and I was still done in 30 minutes.

2) Your set-up gets hosed for who knows what reason. Files or apps are missing, data is gone, configurations are jacked up. On an empty iPad, you've got nothing to get messed up, The restore puts you right back where you were, except the new iOS is under it now.
    10-13-2011 10:12 PM
    Doing iPhone not iPad
    10-13-2011 10:26 PM
    Save all your stuff on the computer. Do a full restore and start as if it were a brand new phone. Synce your stuff onto the "brand new" phone. It did it automatically for me when I did a full restore and set it up "as a new phone".... I had serious problems before I did this. Problem was solved after this.
    10-13-2011 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD