All the New "Slide" features on Lock screen?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so i have been playing around with the new software and i just cant seem to figure out why there are two slide features. one to slide and reply to a text message,email ect and the other slide feature the usual one at the bottom does the same thing. it seems like they just added new features to do the same thing in more ways. also the banner that pops up at the top the font seems so small and there is no way to read a preview of a text really without opening the whole message like when it just use to pop up on your screen. any thoughts?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
so i have been playing around with the new software and i just cant seem to figure out why there are two slide features. one to slide and reply to a text message,email ect and the other slide feature the usual one at the bottom does the same thing. it seems like they just added new features to do the same thing in more ways. also the banner that pops up at the top the font seems so small and there is no way to read a preview of a text really without opening the whole message like when it just use to pop up on your screen. any thoughts?

The purpose of sliding individual notifications is to take you right to whatever the notification is of.

i.e. if a new email comes in, it'll pull up that email

This way, if you have multiple notifications, you can quickly get to the one you want to see.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
ya that makes sense. do you guys have your email come up when your screen is locked? i know apple did not turn that notification on after the update. how many have it on or off? also how about the banners. do u like it or like how it use to be with the lock screen text messaging?

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
ya that makes sense. do you guys have your email come up when your screen is locked? i know apple did not turn that notification on after the update. how many have it on or off? also how about the banners. do u like it or like how it use to be with the lock screen text messaging?

I have mail turned on, because I often receive emails that are just as, if not more, important than other notifications. The banners are a huge improvement over popups, IMO.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I have emails on lock screen and as banners at the top.

The only thing I dislike is not being able to delete an email from the lock screen.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
when i go to settings-notficiations-mail all the way at the bottom i turned on the "view in lock screen" to on but all the way at the top it says "notification center" which is still turned off. what does that mean? what will happen if i turn it on because i know with my messages,phone ect that setting is turned on. also the alert style is on "none" in the mail what does that mean?

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
...but all the way at the top it says "notification center" which is still turned off. what does that mean?

Notification center is the screen that you pull down over the springboard. So you can have notifications on the lock screen, in the notification center, both or none.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
so if you get a single text message when the screen is locked there are two ways to slide unlock and reply to the message? sliding the actual text message and sliding the bar that is always at the bottom? doesnt make sense why they would have two ways of sliding because how often do u really get 2 or 3 text messages from people at the same time? no often, its always just one person

alphasportstv

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you find the text too small in the banner version of the notification, you can either turn that banner off or reassign it to a center panel popup instead. This can be done within the Notifications settings for each individual app.

WSPNC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have emails on lock screen and as banners at the top.

The only thing I dislike is not being able to delete an email from the lock screen.

IMO one of the biggest flaws with the native email app is when you swipe across a message you are prompted to archive the email versus delete it like you can with SMS messages. Who the hell would want archive over delete.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
IMO one of the biggest flaws with the native email app is when you swipe across a message you are prompted to archive the email versus delete it like you can with SMS messages. Who the hell would want archive over delete.

True enough, but I have my mail set through exchange so it has the delete option instead of archive.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site

I have so much mail space I really don't need to delete anything. Keep it all as far as I'm concerned.