STILL can't update iOS 5 ! help!!!

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
i started trying this update at 1:20pm yesterday... and after `10 1/2 hrs gave up and went to sleep. back at it this morning.... click update in iTunes, it backs up iPhone.....then extracting software.... then a pop up says "IPHONE SOFTWARE UPDATE SERVER COULD NOT BE CONTACTED OR IS TEMP UNAVAIL. PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER"

I have unplugged, replugged, reset, restarted, you name it... and get the same thing EVERY time. I choose update, restore, back up, no back up..... SAME THING....

then someone in here finally offered something i thought i could handle (newbie here, and not very computer savvy) i searched google for the download link and directly downloaded iOS 5. then i opened iTunes.... held down the "option"key on my keyboard while clicking restore.. the box opened up and i choose the new ios5 that i just downloaded........ went through all the same extracting software.....AND THEN I GOT THE SAME MESSAGE AS ABOVE....

OMG.. WTH????? how can this be???? should i delta iTunes from the computer and reinstall it??? (it took an hour yesterday to update the computer with the new version of iTunes)...... ugggg...

do i call APPLE?? I've searched this forum over and over and everything i find is either too technical that i don't understand... or the answer is "just wait" ..... can anyone offer a suggestion.. or a gun? ;)

thanks in advance for any help. :confused:

mrkiddman

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Possible solution

I was having trouble getting this install to work because my firewall was blocking access to apple's servers. I don't know if you're on Mac or PC but on the mac side click on the security icon of the system preferences and disable the firewall. Also, if you possibly have little snitch installed turn it off as well. On the PC you will have to determine how to disable which version you have (XP,7,specific application, hardware appliance). You can copy the downloaded ios5 image into the proper folder for itunes to find it automatically and you shouldn't have to manually find the file. Copy the file to one of these locations.

On Windows XP :
Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Windows Vista/Windows 7:
Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

On Mac:
~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

That may get the update going but it will still need to check with apple to verify the download after it extracts.

I hope this helps in some way.

Good luck,

-Scott

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Scott.

Disable your firewall. Disable your AV software. Put the device in Airplane Mode.

Worked like a charm for me last night.

Of course, once you are up and running with a successful install, re-activate all of your protection...

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
mrkiddman,

thanks so much for your response.. the firewall is off. (made sure of that yesterday, and double checked just now) and i put the downloaded file in iPhone software updates like you suggested (yes, i am on a mac) ... tried it again, with hopes of something working....

it still gives me the same message after extracting the file.. it just wont verify the download with apple.

:(

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
AKA

no luck... everything is disabled... phone in airplane mode.... it still won't connect with apple.... gives me the same message every single time......

i don't have another computer here to try it on.... do you know if i went to att they would do it? or the apple store?? this is ridiculous.... i guess ill have to call apple and see what they say - and from searching the forums they don't seem to be offering much help. :/

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Try restarting the computer, if you havent already done so.

I do not think ATT will update the phone for you, I dont know their capabilty though.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
what does that mean and how do i do it?? (so the answer is NO, i haven't)

another question: if i were to borrow a laptop and try doing it from another computer, will i loose my contacts and everything if it does the update and then plug it back into my computer?? isn't the iCloud suppose to back it up?

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
quit iTunes completely.

Open a terminal window and type dscacheutil -flushcache (enter)

restart iTunes, and try again.

what does that even mean?? open a terminal window? and type that where??!! your dealing with someone who doesnt know all this computer fancy stuff.....

and YES i suppose i could wait another day or two.. but i was waiting for a month already for this to come out LOL im impatient and frustrated that my daughter did hers first try (at college in another state) and my sister in law did hers (in FL, another state, first try) and a friend (also first try in another state) so you see, ... im the one who told them how hard it was... and now im the idiot cause they had no problem. LOL

if someone can explain this terminal window thing ill gladly try that. maybe a call to apple support (it is a new imac i am doing this on) ..

thanks for your help i really appreciate it.

AKA

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hit the Start button, select Run, type in "cmd" and then hit Enter. You will now be looking at a Command Prompt window, aka terminal window.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you try doing a restore. And If you need it, you can always have it done at an Apple Store, then just restore from a back up when you get home.

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
AKA,

I'm on an iMac - no start button ?? at least not where it was when i had windows.....

and i did try restore.. still getting the same message.... I think i may have to call Apple. the nearest apple store is an hour away.. :(

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Host??

i think i just had a light bulb go off above my head.... since the computer is telling me it can't connect to the update server... and from what I've been able to understand in the forum here... something about it finding a host at apple? made me think.... and my son tried to (unsuccessfully) jailbreak his iPod touch on this iMac. would that have messed up the host thing? and if so, how do i check that and correct it???

just reaching for straws here...... thanks.