Upgraded to IOS 5 last night on my Iphone 4

Battery life has really really sufferered as a result.

I have everything turned off, like everything but still it continues to rapidly decrease

Any ideas to help?

Im not sure its sustainable like this

went to be with battery at 81% at 1am this morning. When my alarm went off at 6 am I had 12%!!!

Help
    10-13-2011 04:58 AM
    Upgraded to IOS 5 last night on my Iphone 4

Battery life has really really sufferered as a result.

I have everything turned off, like everything but still it continues to rapidly decrease

Any ideas to help?

Im not sure its sustainable like this

went to be with battery at 81% at 1am this morning. When my alarm went off at 6 am I had 12%!!!

Help
    Mine feels like it is now slightly heavier on the battery, but I wouldn't go as far as "literally draining before your eyes". Impossible to be scientific about it though.

Did you maybe add a location-based reminder? This would possibly have kept GPS on in the background and resulted in higher-than-usual battery usage...

Ian.
    10-13-2011 05:15 AM
    I had a similar issue with the GM. Then I restored the phone again setting it up as a new phone. That solved my problem.
    10-13-2011 05:24 AM
    I had a similar issue with the GM. Then I restored the phone again setting it up as a new phone. That solved my problem.
    ^ I would try that.
    10-13-2011 06:17 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing. 87% to 12% in a matter of 4 hours !!!! What the heck ????
    10-13-2011 07:19 AM
    OK here on iOS5. 100% at 08:00 this morning and I have been playing hard and it's still on 87% at 13:15.

When I updated from iOS3 > 4 I had a bad battery drain. The only cure then was for me to restore AS NEW. That worked then and as already recommended, I think it will work for you now.
    10-13-2011 08:20 AM
    I woke up to mine (being on the charger all night as usual) to a battery only at 90%. Never happened before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-13-2011 08:41 AM
    So when I get my 4s should I hook it to iTunes and at least get it backed up on there or just wait for a problem to happen then restore it?
    10-13-2011 09:26 AM
    I am not having any issues with mine.
    10-13-2011 09:42 AM
    So when I get my 4s should I hook it to iTunes and at least get it backed up on there or just wait for a problem to happen then restore it?
    You shouldn't have a problem. Only some of us faced this issue (those who migrated from iOS 4).
    10-13-2011 09:46 AM
    As posted earlier, my battery drained quickly. Some of you suggested to restore as new. Will I lose everything? Can you explain the process of doing this. Thanks
    10-13-2011 10:17 AM
    yes. went from 100% to 75% in under 2 hours
    10-13-2011 10:22 AM
    Mine drained very quickly yesterday. Let it nearly run out, then charged back to 100% and it has been money ever since. I had to go through everything and make sure my locations, notifications, etc were all as I wanted them. This wasn't a exact transfer of previous settings for me; I had to toggle some things off and some things on...
    10-13-2011 10:27 AM
    I've heard about these issues as well, but haven't ran across any myself. Can't really say battery life is better or worse for me.
    10-13-2011 10:27 AM
    I haven't really seen a problem with battery life mine is better with ios 5 then any iOS 4 build.
    10-13-2011 10:54 AM
    Mine us brutal. Nothing us open at all. 100% to 89% is 10 minutes without any use. Won't be functional at this rate. If I sync to iTunes and then restore as new will everything be out back on my iPhone?
    10-13-2011 12:21 PM
    I woke up to mine (being on the charger all night as usual) to a battery only at 90%. Never happened before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This has happened to me numerous times on ios4, regardless of being charged overnight on the computer or on the wall plug.

As for battery drain, I have my phone setup as an existing phone, so I may try restoring the phone and setting it up as a new phone if it's worked for others to resolve the abnormal drain. In the same breath, i've read that it helps some people, and does nothing for others... so i'm gonna do some more reading on this.
    10-13-2011 12:25 PM
    Mine is nowhere near as bad as some of you are mentioning, but it definitely does seem to be a higher than usual battery drain for me. This COULD be because I updated and then restored from backup ( previously jailbroken backup to boot ), but I can't say for sure.

I'm going to upgrade my wife tonight and we'll see how her battery is after a typical day of use, and compare stats. That's when I'll decide if I should restore as new for me ( or both of us ). The only part I hate about restore as new is losing all my text messages & photos. I'll have to move my photos to an album and sync them, but 2 years of texts will be lost
    10-13-2011 12:35 PM
    Same issue here. My device was at 90% when i went to bed last night. When i woke up it was as if the phone had shut off during the night and when it turned on i had 4%? Phone was locked and off all night just like any other typ night. Usually only lost like 2% if not less. Weird

If anyone does do a reset, please let us know how that works out. Thanks,
    10-13-2011 12:50 PM
    no problem noticed here
    10-13-2011 01:02 PM
    My iPhone 4 is really hot and basically drained from 100% to 0% in 4 hours with no usage. Also notices it lags as if it's running tons of apps. Upgraded to iOS 5 last night. Double clicked my button and closed down all my apps and no difference.
    10-13-2011 04:35 PM
    Same issue here. Went from 100% out of the dock this morning to 80% in 90 minutes and I didn't even use it. Location services off, push off, notifications off. After checking the boards, there were two options which seemed to meet with some success, restoring as new and draining the battery to zero and then powering up to 100% again. So far, I'm mid option 2. Let's see if that does anything. Failing which, I'll try restoring as new and get back to you. iPhone 4 btw.

Fun to try to drain it by the way. I put on a movie at full bright and no auto lock and just left it running.

Anyone think this is a tech glitch for which a solution / update will fix?
    Last edited by Kerwood909; 10-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    10-13-2011 05:24 PM
    I have seen a definite decrease in battery life, I wouldn't say it's TOO bad since I plug my phone into a charger every night anyways. I did, however, disable the weather widget itself. Since it uses location based services and I suspect it's always running, I thought that might help with battery life (I don't BELIEVE anything that predicts weather anyways). But for grins and giggles, I'm going to try wiping the device and setting it up as a new device as most suggest, and see how that goes.
    10-13-2011 08:31 PM
    I can't speak to the restore as new option, as I was successful in regaining my battery life after draining it completely and then powering up to 100%. Overnight, it lost only 4% of its charge, and I had re-enabled location services just to see what that would do. I did turn off the weather widget as well, because this seems like a total waste of battery power for me...I have a bookmark to a more accurate site and use that when I need it. Saving 7 seconds isn't worth the drain.
    Anyway, power down to 0 and back up to 100% worked.

Now if I can just get iCloud to download my music...grrrrrr.
    10-14-2011 08:52 AM
    At 87% after only 2 hrs off charger but I can't seem to put my phone down so that may explain the battery usage )

but I have a question: if going back and restoring the phone as "new iPhone" helps with battery issue - do you lose your CONTACTS ? Or just the apps? I can deal with setting up all that stuff but the contacts would be harder to lose.

Thanks
    10-14-2011 08:56 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD