I'm a pinky away from the end... but now it hasn't moved. Ugh.
    Lucky lol Let me know how it goes.
    10-12-2011 05:58 PM
    I attempted to do a restore to factory settings on my iPhone4 today. iTunes wiped my phone and then attempted to install and upgrade to iOS5. That's when I get the wonderful 3002 error.

My phone is now stuck in recovery mode and does not work at all.

I took the phone into the Genius Bar. They tried the same thing, connecting it to iTunes and doing a restore. Same error 3002. The "genius" then tells me that this means the iPhone is broken. My options are to pay $150 and trade in my iPhone4 for a replacement iPhone4 or wait and upgrade to an iPhone4S for $199.

I need a phone that works so I decided to hold on to my "broken" iPhone and buy a new one temporarily. $430 later I have a working iPhone4 with a 30 day return window. Hopefully they get this fixed and I can actually get my phone working again.

Don't trust the "geniuses"
    Network congestion. I've heard of people attempting 8+ times to update with no avail. I can assure it'll work tomorrow, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to wait that long! Apple is telling people to wait until tomorrow, but I've also heard of reports of where just trying again later helps.
    whats the problem? how come it works for some and not others?
    10-12-2011 05:59 PM
    I re-ask what other have already asked: is there any way to avoid the whole "backing up the software part?" It seems insane that we'd have to go through a 30 minute process each time only to be tripped up at the last second by this server thing; you'd think we could just keep clicking some kind of "refresh" button at this point.
    Yes, on a Windows PC, hold the shift key when you click update. It will ask you where the file is, it is usually here on Windows 7:

C:users\YOUR USER NAME\appdata\roaming\apple computer\itunes\ipad software updates
    10-12-2011 06:02 PM
    updated my phone just fine. tried to update my wifes phone and im getting this problem. its in recovery mode now. phone is useless until it restores and updates.
    10-12-2011 06:03 PM
    I keep getting this and now my phone is stuck in restore mode so I can't do anything with it and then what else happens it won't connect to iTunes i'm close to calling someone and yelling at them. I don't care if the server is friggin conjested. My phone isn't working and thats a big deal considering its new.
    10-12-2011 06:06 PM
    Well after 5 hours of downloading, backing up fighting errors. (Just like everyone else here.) I shut down the antivirus, opened the firewall (windows guy that I am it almost gave me an ulcer to do this ) and cleaned about half of the junk off my iPad. This gave me about 60% of my disk space clear.
    Reran the installer and all updated fine.
    I am happy this is an Apple device, had it been windows or linix I still would have been messing with it.
    10-12-2011 06:07 PM
    Try holding the power button and home button for a total of 10 seconds. Your phone should be back to normal. If not, report back.
    I won't mind helping!
    I did that about two hours ago. Now I'm up to the K in backup. Yep, using iTunes 10.5 from yesterday.
    10-12-2011 06:08 PM
    so i'm not in recovery, but i'm not out of it either. the screen has been alternating between the apple logo, the spinning circle, and the restoring screen with the progress bar. it is also not being recognized by itunes and all my info is gone. says n/a.

this is driving me crazy! any help?
    Last edited by anneemonster; 10-12-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    10-12-2011 06:20 PM
    It threw my iphone into recovery mode and now I can't even get it back!!!

I have no phone right now. It's shot. Are you serious?

I have no idea how to check firewalls.
    10-12-2011 06:25 PM
    I knew this was going to be a mess. Hopefully I don't have to sit here all night trying to update. Huff.
    10-12-2011 06:30 PM
    so i'm not in recovery, but i'm not out of it either. the screen has been alternating between the apple logo, the spinning circle, and the restoring screen with the progress bar. it is also not being recognized by itunes and all my info is gone. says n/a.

I am also in this state and it really doesn't look good... I think that it might be new phone time
    10-12-2011 06:31 PM
    I give up! (for tonight anyway). Just getting 3200 every time. Fortunately, my phone is still OK on 4.3.5 it doesn't seem to have trashed anything.

Hope it's at Apple's end!.
    10-12-2011 06:31 PM
    I'm getting the same error.
    10-12-2011 06:33 PM
    Me too on both IP4 and Ipad
    10-12-2011 06:38 PM
    I found that it was a port problem in my case. I disabled the computer's firewall temporarily and everything worked fine.
    10-12-2011 06:39 PM

It threw my iphone into recovery mode and now I can't even get it back!!!

I have no phone right now. It's shot. Are you serious?

I have no idea how to check firewalls.
    You guys should both try unplugging your phone from the computer and then hold the sleep/wake button and home button and wait until you see the Apple logo and then let go. Let me know if that works.
    10-12-2011 06:45 PM
    just shy of 6 hours later and 7 attempts at updating I'am on iOS 5
    10-12-2011 06:47 PM
    I am also in this state and it really doesn't look good... I think that it might be new phone time
    It's nearly impossible to break a phone that way. I highly doubt that you need to get a new phone. If holding the wake/sleep button doesn't work and you can't put your phone in DFU mode you can download TinyUmbrella and kick your phone out of recovery mode.
    10-12-2011 06:48 PM
    You guys should both try unplugging your phone from the computer and then hold the sleep/wake button and home button and wait until you see the Apple logo and then let go. Let me know if that works.
    I managed to get it back into DFU mode a few times and then it just went straight back into the same cycle again after I tried another restore. This time though the progress bar seems to be moving properly, so fingers crossed it might be ok.

Thanks for the response
    10-12-2011 06:49 PM
    I just did a restore and worked fine.
    10-12-2011 06:50 PM
    I managed to get it back into DFU mode a few times and then it just went straight back into the same cycle again after I tried another restore. This time though the progress bar seems to be moving properly, so fingers crossed it might be ok.

Thanks for the response
    Not a problem, hope you get iOS 5 installed properly.
    10-12-2011 06:51 PM
    got all the way to the end of the progress bar this time and then gave me error 3173. this is pretty frustrating!
    10-12-2011 06:52 PM
    got all the way to the end of the progress bar this time and then gave me error 3173. this is pretty frustrating!

I completely got that too, my phone is locked on friggin restore screen alernating with the circle the apple logo and the loading bar under it it's driving me insane.
    10-12-2011 06:54 PM
341 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD