Anyone else underwhelmed with this?

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

Am I missing the point here?
    10-12-2011 04:51 PM

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

You have to find someone with an iPhone, it will work like BBM with only another iPhone user.
    10-12-2011 05:01 PM
    I think I am on the same train of thought as you. I don't see the point really.
    10-12-2011 05:01 PM

You don't see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with? So you'd rather have to have someone's PIN number, a combination of numbers, letters, bar codes? And if you want to call them, get there phone number, as well?

It's set up this way because it is so easy to use. No asking around what people's PINs are, if they have a blackberry, asking for new PINs when you get a new phone. Like Steve says, "It just works".
    10-12-2011 05:03 PM
    i think this one will come in handy for ipad and ipod users more (like me) rather than iphone users who generally have unlimited messaging plan anyway
    Keen and brittanyh like this.
    10-12-2011 05:04 PM
    So if I am talking to someone that has an iPhone running 5.0 and I have their number and email address... at what point does the iMessage work? I have it turned on and everything.
    10-12-2011 05:07 PM
    I like it. Pretty cool.
    10-12-2011 05:09 PM
    So we just send a text to the person and if they have ios5 it's sent via imessage if not we pay out of our price plan? How would we know if they had ios5 or not?
    10-12-2011 05:12 PM
    You don't see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with? So you'd rather have to have someone's PIN number, a combination of numbers, letters, bar codes? And if you want to call them, get there phone number, as well?

It's set up this way because it is so easy to use. No asking around what people's PINs are, if they have a blackberry, asking for new PINs when you get a new phone. Like Steve says, "It just works".

If I have someone's number, then ill send them a text. And I have (like most other people) have unlimited free texts so it doesn't cost me anything.

The only difference that I will notice is that the colour of the speech bubble will change.
    10-12-2011 05:15 PM
    Yea i mean i like the feature and its quick when sending a message..but i thought it would be a separate thing, not integrated with in the txt messages
    Obei Nice and Fashiionaddict like this.
    10-12-2011 05:21 PM
    Yea i mean i like the feature and its quick when sending a message..but i thought it would be a separate thing, not integrated with in the txt messages
    So you want to have to go to two places depending on whether they are an iMessage user or not? Apple made it simple just like everything else they do.
    muzikmyke and jakej914 like this.
    10-12-2011 05:29 PM

Yes you are. Why would you want to have to collect an extra piece of data to add someone? That isn't better. That's worse.
    muzikmyke likes this.
    10-12-2011 05:31 PM
    So we just send a text to the person and if they have ios5 it's sent via imessage if not we pay out of our price plan? How would we know if they had ios5 or not?
    The "Send" button is blue as are the chat bubbles...

bigg22 likes this.
    10-12-2011 05:36 PM
    I guess the point of iMessages is if you want to text someone in a different country or if you don't have an unlimited texting plan. Like many said before, it's like BBM.
    10-12-2011 05:47 PM
    Like many people, I think I'd find the use of pin combinations a bit stressful to communicate with one another.
    10-12-2011 05:49 PM
    Delivered and Read receipts are nice. And it indicates when the recipient is typing back. Like BBM, only better. Because I communicate with many more iPhone users than BB users.
    10-12-2011 05:50 PM
    The reason iMessage is so good is that for those of us without iPhones, using something like an iPod touch or iPad with 3G (or Wi-Fi), you can text people who don't have a phone number.

Also, if the majority of iDevice users have iOS 5, you can see when they type, when they read your message, etc. It's a great feature which will shed more light as time passes. It's great on my iPad because I don't have to be limited only to a phone.

Blue = iMessage
    Green = SMS
    muzikmyke likes this.
    10-12-2011 05:51 PM
    It isn't bbm for sure, but back when they did it in beta testing I knew that it was just going to be like texting in the application. It isn't anything special just tells you if they read the message. It is just texting.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    10-12-2011 05:51 PM
    I am not super excited about imessage but I am ready to be surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-12-2011 06:00 PM
    Ok here is my issue. Say I update my old iPhone to iOS5 (or iPod touch), basically any device that I only use over wifi, then one of my friends who has an iOS5 device goes to send me a message, it's going to default to an iMessage right? (since the email address they have for me is the one I use for my Apple ID). This is all well and good if I am at home with my iPod Touch on wifi, but what if I'm not? If I'm out and about or without wifi access that message won't be received by me until I get home (or get wifi access somewhere). As I understand, you can choose to switch from an iMessage to normal sms by selecting the contact's phone number instead of Apple ID, but how does the sender know when the recipient is able to receive iMessages or not i.e. has a network connection. If I'm sending a message to someone who I know uses an iPod touch on iOS5 and has another cell phone and I want them to receive the message asap, I'm always going to chose sms as with iMessage I wont know how long it will be until they have a network connection.
    10-12-2011 06:12 PM
    I work in an area where I can't get cell signal (underground, no AT&T antennas) but I get great wifi. I'm hoping at least I will be able to text friends with iPhones! Not like I text all day at work, but it would be nice to be able to if I wanted to.
    10-12-2011 06:12 PM
    Mine still says waiting for activation. Any clue how to fix that?
    10-12-2011 06:13 PM
    How come when i go into settings for Imessage it says your messages can be reached at my number & my email address? Do the imessages get sent to my email as well?
    10-12-2011 06:25 PM
    So if I'm on my iPad someone with iPhone can text me with my iPhone cell number and I'll receive it while on iPad and won't have to get on the phone to text back that way?
    10-12-2011 06:29 PM
    Nevermind, fixed itself.

Rob I think its using the email address and phone number so the messages can be pushed to ipad/ipod touch users. I think if both devices are on (ipad/ipod + iphone) both will receive it since it uses the 2 methods.
    Rob516 likes this.
    10-12-2011 06:31 PM
179 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD