iMessenger thoughts

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
No it's not. It's the same as texting. I'm talking about a full fledged chat app/interface. Not the little "tweaks" iMessage provides.

It seems to have a full fledged chat interface (as long as both parties turn on read receipts.

I am very happy it works like it does. When I had a BB, I had only two contacts. Mostly because almost everyone I know does not use a BB as a personal phone but also because some of those that did, refused to use BBM.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
No it's not. It's the same as texting. I'm talking about a full fledged chat app/interface. Not the little "tweaks" iMessage provides.

Just wondering, what features would you prefer iMessage to have? Are you talking about things like status updates and display pictures and that kind of thing?

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering, what features would you prefer iMessage to have? Are you talking about things like status updates and display pictures and that kind of thing?

Honestly, I really don't care about status updates nor profile pics.. B/c pics can be set thru contacts. I think I just want a way to differentiate iMessages & iMessage users from regular contacts. Oh and the ability to create set groups.

lshartle

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't really see the comparison between BBM besides the fact it sends delivered/read receipts.
BBM allows you to add avatars, it tells you when the other person is typing and it has groups. And now I believe they've somehow incorporated gaming also.

And as for having to add a person to BBM by PIN only that's not true, you can also use their email address and if I remember correctly, their phone number too.

BBM is the ONLY feature I miss from BlackBerry, I used it quite often.

@iLynn7 - go to settings, Messages and that is where you will find all the iMessage settings

@Dean211284 - you can tell by when you've selected a person to message, you will either see iMessage or Text Message appear in the text input bar

Hope that helps

Last edited:

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't really see the comparison between BBM besides the fact it sends delivered/read receipts.
BBM allows you to add avatars, it tells you when the other person is typing and it has groups. And now I believe they've somehow incorporated gaming also.

And as for having to add a person to BBM by PIN only that's not true, you can also use their email address and if I remember correctly, their phone number too.

@iLynn7 - go to settings, Messages and that is where you will find all the iMessage settings

@Dean211284 - you can tell by when you've selected a person to message, you will either see iMessage or Text Message appear in the text input bar

Hope that helps

For the record, iMessage does tell you when the other person is typing also.

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site

Hope that helps

Groups would be useful. Never saw the point in Avatars.

ToddP0530#AC

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I hope Apple fixes this: We have three devices in our home used by three different people but all tied to the same iTunes account. You can't use iMessage because it shows up as a message sent to yourself. So if my wife is messaging me from her iPad to my iPhone, my daughter can see those messages on her iPod Touch. Or any combination of those three. Would be nice if each device had its own ID number instead of being tied to the iTunes username. Unless someone else has a fix for this, that's the problem I'm having.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope Apple fixes this: We have three devices in our home used by three different people but all tied to the same iTunes account. You can't use iMessage because it shows up as a message sent to yourself. So if my wife is messaging me from her iPad to my iPhone, my daughter can see those messages on her iPod Touch. Or any combination of those three. Would be nice if each device had its own ID number instead of being tied to the iTunes username. Unless someone else has a fix for this, that's the problem I'm having.

Just setup imessage to sync to a different itunes account. You can setup a new itunes account to only sync to the could, and work with imessage. You still will be able to use the joint itunes account for purchases, and things of that nature. I had to do this with mine, and my wifes phone (for the cloud), it actually was pretty easy to setup.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just setup imessage to sync to a different itunes account. You can setup a new itunes account to only sync to the could, and work with imessage. You still will be able to use the joint itunes account for purchases, and things of that nature. I had to do this with mine, and my wifes phone (for the cloud), it actually was pretty easy to setup.

Exactly. I did this for my wife and I for iCloud, we share the iTunes account for purchases, but I set up an separate iCloud account for her to sync Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, etc. with and used that same account as her iMessage account.

Reactions: Altimate_One

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Go to settings, message, receive at: and put in a different email address there for each device. Also make sure to pick that email as the "caller id"

splett

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Blocking help

If you block a number on your Verizon account from texting and calling you will it also block them from imessaging you?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
If you block a number on your Verizon account from texting and calling you will it also block them from imessaging you?

No! It's not going through the phone servers, at all. Think of it as being more similar to an IM client. There's no way to block someone on iMessage.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
my one gripe is that if I am sending it to an international iphone use and the message is blue as i am typing...and then due to the lack of data, or spotty data on either ends the message goes green after it sends...ive had a few international text charges because this happened...

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
my one gripe is that if I am sending it to an international iphone use and the message is blue as i am typing...and then due to the lack of data, or spotty data on either ends the message goes green after it sends...ive had a few international text charges because this happened...

Turn off Settings->Messages->Send as SMS

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
yes...i did do that...but sometimes when the person doesn't have access to data network for whatever reason my message wont go thorugh...
can't have my cake and eat it too...i get that :)