iMessenger thoughts

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Listen peeps:

iMessage just works from the messages app without you having to do anything. You don't have to have an email linked to the contact unless you want it going to an ipod touch or an ipad. It works just like facetime. your iphone is linked to an apple id already. If iMessages is being used, it will be a blue bubble, if sms is being used it will be a green bubble. iMessages uses data, so you need to have cell data or wifi to use it. If someone has an iPad or iPod touch and let's say a blackberry, when you type in the contact you want to send it to, it will show their number, and their email with a blue bubble next to it meaning that it will use imessage to contact them. It's up to you to choose which one you want to send it to or their availability to respond. y'all can communicate and figure that out like adults. If iMessages is not working for you, then you either don't have it turned on in settings>messages, you don't have a data connection, they don't have a data connection, or one of you isn't on iOS 5. It's really simple. Don't think about it too much. you can choose whether you want it to revert to sms in settings if imessages isn't available for those who have texting plans.

Last edited:

Scoot50

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope apple updates it soon so it is more like BBM.

I have a Ipad 2 (wifi) and have had it for a month or so. I get my first Iphone tomorrow (4s) so I am trying to picture how it is going to operate.

The way I see it, if I am sitting at home on my ipad surfing the web, and I have my iphone sitting there beside me incase someone calls.....and someone send me an Imessage, my phone and Ipad are going to blow up. I guess I solve that by turning off notification sounds associated with Imessage on my Ipad.

What I liked about BBM and what I think other people like and miss is that is was like AIM on your phone. The only people in your contacts in BBM were people with PIN numbers saved in your contacts, and you would have to accept them as a friend. You could group message, send a voice note, anything.

You might think I am crazy but I would like to have Imessage and SMS separate like BBM and SMS was on Blackberries. I am coming from an android device and it has gtalk as its separate messaging app and it is ok. Just not as good as BBM. Bottom line is they need to be separate IMO. Makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Helpful thread, thanks! I see the balloon next to those who have an iPod with ios5 installed as stated. Works fine. Don't put too much thought into it. Just type their name and if they have ios5, you will see the text bubble next to their e-mail address.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site

I have a Ipad 2 (wifi) and have had it for a month or so. I get my first Iphone tomorrow (4s) so I am trying to picture how it is going to operate.

The way I see it, if I am sitting at home on my ipad surfing the web, and I have my iphone sitting there beside me incase someone calls.....and someone send me an Imessage, my phone and Ipad are going to blow up. I guess I solve that by turning off notification sounds associated with Imessage on my Ipad.

What I liked about BBM and what I think other people like and miss is that is was like AIM on your phone. The only people in your contacts in BBM were people with PIN numbers saved in your contacts, and you would have to accept them as a friend. You could group message, send a voice note, anything.

You might think I am crazy but I would like to have Imessage and SMS separate like BBM and SMS was on Blackberries. I am coming from an android device and it has gtalk as its separate messaging app and it is ok. Just not as good as BBM. Bottom line is they need to be separate IMO. Makes more sense to me.

FINALLY someone that agrees with me.... lol I'd rather them separate too. I liked that i didn't have to give people my contact info, only my PIN. I mean, who wants to give someone a whole email address when u can give them 6 numbers... lol

But like i said earlier, i hope apple will elaborate on it more. It is a relatively newborn feature for iDevices... :D

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

If it bothers you, you can just turn off iMessage on your iPad. Yeah, they'll both blow up with messages, but the entire thread will continue between your 2 devices. I see what you are saying about them being different apps, but I don't think that falls in line with Apple's goal with iMessage.

PR1MO1

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Listen peeps:

iMessage just works from the messages app without you having to do anything. You don't have to have an email linked to the contact unless you want it going to an ipod touch or an ipad. It works just like facetime. your iphone is linked to an apple id already. If iMessages is being used, it will be a blue bubble, if sms is being used it will be a green bubble. iMessages uses data, so you need to have cell data or wifi to use it. If someone has an iPad or iPod touch and let's say a blackberry, when you type in the contact you want to send it to, it will show their number, and their email with a blue bubble next to it meaning that it will use imessage to contact them. It's up to you to choose which one you want to send it to or their availability to respond. y'all can communicate and figure that out like adults. If iMessages is not working for you, then you either don't have it turned on in settings>messages, you don't have a data connection, they don't have a data connection, or one of you isn't on iOS 5. It's really simple. Don't think about it too much. you can choose whether you want it to revert to sms in settings if imessages isn't available for those who have texting plans.

I get what you're saying, my question is though how do I sms someone who has an iPad or iPod touch sitting at home on wifi, but they use a BlackBerry. When I select that persons phone number it defaults to iMessage, but I know that's going to go to their iPod touch at home and I know they are not at home.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I get what you're saying, my question is though how do I sms someone who has an iPad or iPod touch sitting at home on wifi, but they use a BlackBerry. When I select that persons phone number it defaults to iMessage, but I know that's going to go to their iPod touch at home and I know they are not at home.

It sounds like you would have to create a separate contact or something and iMessage will always favor the Apple ID over the BlackBerry number, or simply turn off iMessage.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site

It won't default to iMessage. It will use sms because they're phone number is not linked to an iPhone therefore not linked to an apple id. You can leave everything under the same contact. Don't think about ti too much. Just do.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site

That person's phone number shouldn't be associated with iMessage...only an email address of his/her. So, when you go to send a message to that person's number, just start typing in his/her name (in the address field of a new thread), and make sure you select his/her phone number to send a text to. Should send as a text.

ctauriello

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
IMessage on IPad not shown on IPhone

Sent message via iPad to wife's iPhone. Message chain did not appear on my iPhone. How do I fix it so messages are linked between both Ios5 devices? I am using Sam Apple ids and iCloud logins on both devices.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Sent message via iPad to wife's iPhone. Message chain did not appear on my iPhone. How do I fix it so messages are linked between both Ios5 devices? I am using Sam Apple ids and iCloud logins on both devices.

Do you have it turned on on both devices.

PR1MO1

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
That person's phone number shouldn't be associated with iMessage...only an email address of his/her. So, when you go to send a message to that person's number, just start typing in his/her name (in the address field of a new thread), and make sure you select his/her phone number to send a text to. Should send as a text.

Ah I see. So it will only associate a phone number with iMessage if the phone number is in an iOS 5 iPhone? Otherwise it just associates the email address linked to the Apple ID? Makes sense now.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is your setup. Because i have every notification on and I still am not getting anything to deal with iMessage. Texting is fine

iMessage and text messages are exactly the same notification. There's no separate setup for text vs. iMessage. I'm not sure what you are asking - settings, general, sounds, text tone is where you set the sound. And settings, notifications, messages is where you set the notifications. Both text and iMessage use these same settings.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought this message system was going to be tied to their Apple ID, not phone number. Odd. How is it different than sending a text then? And how do people with iPods or iPads use it?

Dienaldy_k

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
so.. It is Mean Imessanger Works Like What's App..?

I was Thinking about, IMessanger working like BBM, using maybe Serial Number of Idevice..

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought this message system was going to be tied to their Apple ID, not phone number. Odd. How is it different than sending a text then? And how do people with iPods or iPads use it?

It's tied to both - and any other email address you want to put in the "receive at" setting. It's not really different from text from the user experience - it's different behind the scenes in that it uses your data connection, not your SMS plan, to send the message. This gives you some extra features like being able to know when the message was delivered and when it was read, no size limit, etc.

People with iPods and iPads just open the message app and send a message like they would if they were using an iPhone. So I have an iPhone and an iPad. If someone sends me a message to my phone number - it goes to m y iPhone. If they send it to my email address, it goes to both the iPad and the iPhone, I can reply from either, or switch mid stream - both devices have the full conversation.

The only thing I wish apple had done was allow you to associate and iPad/iPod with a phone number so when you received a message at your phone number, it would go to your non-phone device as well.