iMessenger thoughts

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
imessage relies on the person receiving a message to keep opening the messenger app to see if any new messages are received. i find this unacceptable

differences:

when an iphone receives a text message (sms) you get the following features:
notification via a # badged on the messenger icon indicating you got a message
the default tri-tone text alert
notification on the screen, either a banner, a badge, notification on the lock screen, notification in notification center.

when an iphone receives a free message sent to your apple id you get the following features
a small tick noise
no other sounds
no other alerts
no other badges at all
you literally have no clue you even got a message until you actually look in the messenger app

be warned and tell your friends do not send mission critical messages via imessage that need a quick response because the other person who got your message will probably have no idea you even sent one.

however when i tested an ipad 2 i saw signs of notifications. so i believe this is a carrier restriction

:eek:

Something's wrong with your setup then. For me (and everyone else I know with iOS5 installed), the iMessage notification is identical to the SMS notifications. Same sound, same badge, same everything (except it says "iMessage" instead of "text message"

jglev

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Isn't the iPhone telephone number and the email address used for iMessage linked? Say you have an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone has both your telephone number and email address (I use my @me.com address since my whole family shares the iTunes ID) and the iPad has the same email address (does iMessage report the same "Receive At 2 addresses" on the iPad as it does on the iPhone? I don't have an iPad, so I don't know). The way I understood how it works is that if someone sends you an iMessage to your phone number, it automatically goes to your iPhone and iPad because iCloud has the two linked. The same thing happens if someone sends an iMessage to your email address (it goes to your iPhone and iPad). Am I misunderstanding how it works?

Also, how do you send contact and location info from iMessage? Apple says you can share those as well as photos and videos, but I can't figure out how to do contact and location info?

Thanks.

DigiColMedia

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
2 Devices & Contact Share

Isn't the iPhone telephone number and the email address used for iMessage linked? Say you have an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone has both your telephone number and email address (I use my @me.com address since my whole family shares the iTunes ID) and the iPad has the same email address (does iMessage report the same "Receive At 2 addresses" on the iPad as it does on the iPhone? I don't have an iPad, so I don't know). The way I understood how it works is that if someone sends you an iMessage to your phone number, it automatically goes to your iPhone and iPad because iCloud has the two linked. The same thing happens if someone sends an iMessage to your email address (it goes to your iPhone and iPad). Am I misunderstanding how it works?

Also, how do you send contact and location info from iMessage? Apple says you can share those as well as photos and videos, but I can't figure out how to do contact and location info?

Thanks.

From what I can gather this is how it works with 2 devices. If you are sent an iMessage to your phone number it will only display on your iPhone. If you are sent an iMessage to your assigned email address it will show up on both your iPhone & iPad/iPod Touch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding sending contacts and location data just share a contact or location from within the Contacts or Maps App like you normally would and select message instead of mail. If the recipient has an iOS device with iMessage activated it will be sent as an iMessage. You don't necessarily have to be in the message app to share. :)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Anyone else underwhelmed with this?

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

Am I missing the point here?

It's alright but I have only a pretty small number of people that I text regularly with iPhones so it isn't going to put a big dent in my normal texting.

You don't need a phone number, you can use the person's email/AppleID for iMessage if they have an iOS device.

j0hnnyv#IM

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I like iMessage a lot. I was a BlackBerry user for over 7 years before 4 months ago and BBM was and is the best thing they have going. iMessage is NOT as good as BBM yet but the ability to use it with other iPhone users on iOS5 and have it not use txts, be able to see when theyre typing, see when messages are delivered, do group chats, and send photos, etc. There is zero downside to iMessage and it will only get better.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I was messaging a friend on my iPhone to his iPad last night. I then woke up and found I had to close an entire conversation on my iPad that synced with it. Is there some way to not have to do that? I don't want to have to keep doing that all the time.

Edit: Is it feasible to create an Apple ID specifically for iMessage on a particular device, actually?

Otherwise, I really like the concept in general. Execution is not bad. Makes me miss BBM quite heavily though. ;)

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
What's underwhelming about it to me: we were told it would automatically send an iMessage if the other person has an iPhone on iOS 5. Well, my brother and I both have iOS 5 and it still sent SMS. Also it didn't merge conversations when he sent an iMessage from his email address.

iSurf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea i dont get how it sends as an imessege to a friend but then they all turn green as texts. Maybe its because they are in low signal to no signal area?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I think I am on the same train of thought as you. I don't see the point really.

It hasn't been a day and I see people without text message plans using it with me, and how it will keep my text plan to the basic level.

It gives a level of messaging on my iPad and Pod that are WiFi only.

A hit to carrier profit is an issue I see beyond the Apple Only nature. There I already see us going to a world where what we really pay for is access, bandwidth and the decision on how much a particular phone is worth to us.

meinvein

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think people are not understanding that you need to have the email address that your contact used when setting up iCloud to begin with. That is how iCloud can make it work. This email address also needs to be saved in the same contact for that person as their phone number in order for iMessage to decide which to use.

bkmac

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I like iMessage a lot. I was a BlackBerry user for over 7 years before 4 months ago and BBM was and is the best thing they have going. iMessage is NOT as good as BBM yet but the ability to use it with other iPhone users on iOS5 and have it not use txts, be able to see when theyre typing, see when messages are delivered, do group chats, and send photos, etc. There is zero downside to iMessage and it will only get better.

That's what I am looking forward to. I don't know why I am so attached to BBM (considering I talk to maybe three people because all my contacts left for iPhones), but I am. Being able to have that BBM-feel talking to friends will be cool.

Do you have to press anything specific to make it an iMessage instead of a text, or it does it automatically if you/the recipient both have iOS5?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
TDo you have to press anything specific to make it an iMessage instead of a text, or it does it automatically if you/the recipient both have iOS5?

The Messages app knows if the recipient has an iMessage device and will deliver the message via iMessage automatically.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I like it! My friend and I were BlackBerry users and we used BBM a lot. iMessage was one of the pluses for iOS 5 for us. Plus we like the light blue speech bubbles! :p

fuzzy#IM

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
not sure if I saw this exact "issue" but......is there a way to group Txt's and iMessages in the same thread.

example: Have a friend that has updated his iPad but not his iPhone.......so he sent me an iMessage from his iPad....I added his appleid to his contact......later he sent me a txt from his iPhone......two separate threads.....shouldn't they be grouped since the contact info is in the same and correct contact???

ja2ed

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Something's wrong with your setup then. For me (and everyone else I know with iOS5 installed), the iMessage notification is identical to the SMS notifications. Same sound, same badge, same everything (except it says "iMessage" instead of "text message"

What exactly is your setup. Because i have every notification on and I still am not getting anything to deal with iMessage. Texting is fine

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think people are not understanding that you need to have the email address that your contact used when setting up iCloud to begin with. That is how iCloud can make it work. This email address also needs to be saved in the same contact for that person as their phone number in order for iMessage to decide which to use.

You have to log in with your Apple ID, but if you're using an iPhone, you don't have to register your email address as an address at which "You can be reached for messages at." So, if you're messaging someone with an iPhone (i.e. sending a message to that person's actual phone number) that has no email addresses set to receive iMessages at, as long as that person has iMessage switched on, it will automatically discern that that user can receive iMessages, and will send your message as an iMessage. Automagically!

Reactions: meinvein

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This may not be as good for iphone users who have friends inside the USA but i have some friends in Brazil and in Europe that i would like to text. I also think this feature would be good for kids this holiday. When parents go ad buy their kids an ipod touch for games and apps and music, they will be able to send free text messages as well. Although there may be some odd consequences for that but nontheless when parents hear the word "free text messaging with no 3g plan and over wifi" they will probably think its a neat thing for their kid to own and text his friends who have an ipod touch. Just a thought, really but a good one.

meinvein

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You have to log in with your Apple ID, but if you're using an iPhone, you don't have to register your email address as an address at which "You can be reached for messages at." So, if you're messaging someone with an iPhone (i.e. sending a message to that person's actual phone number) that has no email addresses set to receive iMessages at, as long as that person has iMessage switched on, it will automatically discern that that user can receive iMessages, and will send your message as an iMessage. Automagically!

Thanks for the clarification. I updated my iPad2 but not my phone yet...it was a test run.

Does anyone know if, since I already updated my ipad, I can use the same download to update my iphone? I didn't want to chance it as I won't be off from work until saturday and I rely on my phone for a lot during.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's one step forward in the right direction although it has much to be desired when compared to BBM. I consider that the standard and it isn't quite there, yet, but I can live with it since I have a lot of friends with iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal