iMessenger thoughts

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
so.. It is Mean Imessanger Works Like What's App..?

I was Thinking about, IMessanger working like BBM, using maybe Serial Number of Idevice..

It works just liks SMS except that if both the sender and the recipient use ios5 devices and have iMessage turned on, the message is sent over the data connection instead of the as an SMS.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Ah I see. So it will only associate a phone number with iMessage if the phone number is in an iOS 5 iPhone? Otherwise it just associates the email address linked to the Apple ID? Makes sense now.

Exactly. And, for me, I got rid of my texting plan for Google Voice texting over data a long time ago. So, most people don't have my actual number, they have my Google Voice number. So, I set my "caller ID" as my email address instead. iMessage is surprisingly flexible, and pretty smart. Blue bubbles by contacts with iMessage is a fantastic idea, IMO.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I like it but I only can use it with 2 of my friends. I like the fact that its a little faster than SMS texting and there is no limit on how long your message can be. Other than that, its nothing revolutionary.

scott11

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
i think it is great that it is integrated. I had a bb, and loved bbm, but only some of my friends were on it. Was a pain going between the 2 different apps.

I think it is a very nice feature, but nothing amazing. Maybe once all my friends are on it I can get rid of my txt plan but until then it is pay per use or unlimited. I still have too many text to pay per use, so imessage does not affect my cost.

jglev

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
From what I can gather this is how it works with 2 devices. If you are sent an iMessage to your phone number it will only display on your iPhone. If you are sent an iMessage to your assigned email address it will show up on both your iPhone & iPad/iPod Touch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding sending contacts and location data just share a contact or location from within the Contacts or Maps App like you normally would and select message instead of mail. If the recipient has an iOS device with iMessage activated it will be sent as an iMessage. You don't necessarily have to be in the message app to share. :)

Thanks. I was thinking that they would integrate the way it's done on WhatsApp so you can do it from within the Message app. I didn't realize that Apple just left it the way it was previously. Oh well. Maybe iOS6?:)

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It really only makes sens if you don't have an unlimited messaging plan or you like to message internationally. I really think they introduced it just to mess with RIM.

el_capitan10

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how much data this is going to use? I have an unlimited text plan, but only a 2GB data plan. I don't want to go over my data cap just because I text with my girlfriend a lot.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how much data this is going to use? I have an unlimited text plan, but only a 2GB data plan. I don't want to go over my data cap just because I text with my girlfriend a lot.

Well, 1 character = 1 byte. So a 2GB plan has 2 billion bytes. At about 160 characters per message, that enough data for about 12.5 million text messages. Essentially, you won't notice.

Reactions: el_capitan10

kshea12

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You have to link your iPad with a particular email which can be done under Settings>Messages> Received At. Then send the message to that email under the messages app also iMessage has to be on which is also under Settings>Messages

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else underwhelmed with this?

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

Am I missing the point here?

i'm not underwhelmed because i used iOS5 in beta. its nowhere near the same level as BBM, but i guess that wasn't their intent. it really just seems like advanced SMS/MMS but in no way replaces BBM or whatsapp or those type of apps. in the future it might, but for now, it'll do.

MacBookBuddy

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Why iMessenger for iPhone's?

I completely agree with the idea to integrate a messaging system to iOS for iPad 3G and wifi only devices, but when you get an iPhone with a phone number what is there a need to get another type of messaging system? I suppose you could message each other if you have an iPhone and your friend has a iPod Touch. In the end I think iMessage will be turned off or not used by many iPhone users.

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
What???? It's ok for you to get the BBM code but not the phone number ?? am I missing something anyone ??

Yes you are..

Some people like being able to NOT have to give out their phone number right away yet have a form of communication with the guy/girl they just met..

It's a little more secure that way, and after a while if you decide THAN you can exchange actual numbers.

BBM really has it right. Is a sea of garbage that is the BB world it is truly it's only island.

And imessage is nowhere in the same league yet. imho.

Gooster

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't two iPhones communicate in iMessage with just Apple IDs though?

I want to know why even on FiOS my messages to another friend hang when we're both on wi-fi.

agent006

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I like it

Anyone else underwhelmed with this?

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

Am I missing the point here?

For a start the idea is your not restricted to mms limits. I was able to a 4:30 video clip recorded on my iPhone 4 to my iPad. Also it worked automatically with contacts, so you don't have to do anything.
It's simple and just works like they said.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner