I don't know if it's this thread or another iMessage thread but I was having problems sending messages to my friend who is in my own damned plan yesterday and today. At first I thought I was confusing the server or something by having both my phone number and my Apple ID on my phone so I unlinked my ID from iMessage and messages were going fine.

At first I thought it was my reception but regular SMS goes through just fine. iMessages from my wi-fi only iPad 2 go through just fine and incredibly fast so it can't be my internet connection. Not sure what the issue is! I really don't want it to be a hardware issue. I'm not in the mood to visit an Apple Store or a Sprint store.

I like the unlimited character usage and watching messages blaze on my iPad is great, but this is frankly getting annoying.
    10-17-2011 12:34 PM
    Its more useful for people who have IPod touch and iPad but still will come in useful when needed but only if all your friends have iPhone and you can access a network outside of your house if you haven't got 3g then its effectively useless outside
    10-17-2011 01:13 PM
    My wife loves it...she can now see when her friends read her texts...she now knows they got the message. Drama in 3...2..
    10-17-2011 01:58 PM
    Just trying to get my head round this so bear with me. When I iMessage my wife from mi iPad I'd only does it using her @me address and not her telephone number..she gets the message on helipad and phone. My daughter only has a phone but I have to connect through her mobile number from my iPad as her @me address won't connect. Why would that be? Suppose it does not really matter as the message is sent but I'm just interested.
    10-17-2011 05:03 PM
    I'm pretty sure the me address is only a fallback in case there isn't a phone number associated with an iphone. You don't need to send it to that so it doesn't let you.
    10-17-2011 08:36 PM
    its not that complicated to "add a person" for another app. BBM was great to the point where apple had to create iMessage. Coming from blackberry the stand alone app would have been the better way to go. if i have your number there's really no point except that its blue and i use more of my unlimited data
    Um. BBM uses your data plan as well.
    10-17-2011 09:32 PM
    It has yet to work with my iPhone 4 (Verizon).
    It did work with my iPod and iPad 2, i turned off from my iPod and now i just don't receive them.
    Also, anything i send does not get received. Frustrating as this was one of the things i was really looking forward to as i do not have a message plan.
    Last edited by celpower; 10-17-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    10-17-2011 10:58 PM
    Has anyone been able to get there iMessage to delete across multiple devices? I have everything set up with the correct caller id settings as I receive messages across multiple devices, but when I delete it only deletes on the native device (running on iPhone4s and iPad2). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    10-18-2011 07:25 AM
    Unfortunately iMessages does not sync over iCloud. The other annoying limitation is if someone iMessages my cell, it doesn't get sent to my iPad.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 10-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    10-19-2011 09:40 PM
    Since most of the people that I know have an iPhone running iOs 5, I am really liking iMessage. I don't have a texting plan, so this feature really cuts back on the pay per text charges for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    10-19-2011 10:00 PM
    so unless the person I am texting has an iPhone or iPad 2 then I can't sent a text from my ipad2? when I try it displays the contacts info but the won't send and says contact # not registered with iMessage.. what's up with that? if so its as useless as FaceTime unless your In a group of friends and people who all.have iproducts or you can't use it. anyone have the same iMessage problem or might I have something wrong ?
    10-19-2011 10:12 PM
    so unless the person I am texting has an iPhone or iPad 2 then I can't sent a text from my ipad2? when I try it displays the contacts info but the won't send and says contact # not registered with iMessage.. what's up with that? if so its as useless as FaceTime unless your In a group of friends and people who all.have iproducts or you can't use it. anyone have the same iMessage problem or might I have something wrong ?
    You can't iMessage someone who doesn't have iMessage. To have iMessage, you need an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS5 with iMessage enabled.
    10-19-2011 10:48 PM
    Unfortunately iMessages does not sync over iCloud. The other annoying limitation is if someone iMessages my cell, it doesn't get sent to my iPad.
    You may not have this set up correctly. Any text sent to my phone, go to my iPad. And visa versa. Make sure your phone has the same email (and Apple ID) you used to set up iMessage on your iPad.

This will only work iOS5 to iOS5.
    10-19-2011 11:25 PM
    You may not have this set up correctly. Any text sent to my phone, go to my iPad. And visa versa. Make sure your phone has the same email (and Apple ID) you used to set up iMessage on your iPad.

This will only work iOS5 to iOS5.
    What happens when your cell phone number is used instead of your apple id?
    10-19-2011 11:29 PM
    What happens when your cell phone number is used instead of your apple id?
    Actually, you need to use your cell number. But you also need to add the email address you used on your iPad.

Settings > Messages > Received At
    Last edited by AZMerf; 10-19-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Typo
    10-19-2011 11:37 PM
    Actually, you need to use your cell number. But you also need to add the email address you used on your iPad.

Settings > Messages > Received At
    Not true. I can iMessage to an email address.
    10-19-2011 11:39 PM
    Anyone notice that when you type a regular text message, it no longer says "Text Message" in the text box? It just says "Message."
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 11-07-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    10-20-2011 12:17 AM
    imessage relies on the person receiving a message to keep opening the messenger app to see if any new messages are received. i find this unacceptable

differences:

when an iphone receives a text message (sms) you get the following features:
    notification via a # badged on the messenger icon indicating you got a message
    the default tri-tone text alert
    notification on the screen, either a banner, a badge, notification on the lock screen, notification in notification center.

when an iphone receives a free message sent to your apple id you get the following features
    a small tick noise
    no other sounds
    no other alerts
    no other badges at all
    you literally have no clue you even got a message until you actually look in the messenger app

be warned and tell your friends do not send mission critical messages via imessage that need a quick response because the other person who got your message will probably have no idea you even sent one.

however when i tested an ipad 2 i saw signs of notifications. so i believe this is a carrier restriction

That's not my experience at all. I get a notification when i get a "iMessage'.
    10-20-2011 12:53 AM
    That's not my experience at all. I get a notification when i get a "iMessage'.
    I also get all notifications.

I've found it very useful, since the person I'm closest to lives in Canada and we were limited to email for several years.

I just wish the messages sent to my cell # also came to my iPad.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    10-20-2011 01:26 AM
    Is there any reason iMessage shouldn't work on a de-activated iPhone? I upgraded to the 4S, and gave my 3GS (running iOS 5) to a friend. Where I have on/off toggles on the settings screen for Message, his shows "waiting for activation". Any ideas?
    10-20-2011 01:29 AM
    i think this one will come in handy for ipad and ipod users more (like me) rather than iphone users who generally have unlimited messaging plan anyway
    I don't have unlimited TXT. But at least I now know that the buttons/bubbles will change from green to blue if the number is an iOS5 device......

It isn't bbm for sure, but back when they did it in beta testing I knew that it was just going to be like texting in the application. It isn't anything special just tells you if they read the message. It is just texting.
    Love the Whalers logo!!!!!!!
    10-20-2011 09:44 AM
    Anyone notice that when you type a regular text message, it no longer says "Text Message" in the text box? It just says "Message."
    Mine still shows "Text Message"
    10-20-2011 09:55 AM
    As time goes on they will add Display Pictures (for everyone), status messages (maybe), etc.
    10-20-2011 09:56 AM
    As time goes on they will add Display Pictures (for everyone), status messages (maybe), etc.
    That's what I was thinking as well. They already do it for Game Center and the new Find My Friends app.
    10-20-2011 12:47 PM
    I hope people understand that iMessage is not designed to be a copy of BBM, for example. iMessage sits in the 'Messages' app for a reason, they are both divisions of the same thing. iMessages are essentially text messages but you can also send them to iPods/iPads etc. because of the Apple ID system.

If people want things like statuses and display pictures they should get Whatsapp or something similar because I doubt Apple will be adding this feature to iMessage any time soon, as that is not what the app is designed to do.
    10-20-2011 01:29 PM
179 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD