Thank you, that makes sense!
    10-12-2011 06:33 PM
    So if I'm on my iPad someone with iPhone can text me with my iPhone cell number and I'll receive it while on iPad and won't have to get on the phone to text back that way?
    I think so, since it uses the email address.
    10-12-2011 06:35 PM
    So if I'm on my iPad someone with iPhone can text me with my iPhone cell number and I'll receive it while on iPad and won't have to get on the phone to text back that way?
    No, they would use your email address. Your Apple ID is how they will iMessage you. NOT your phone number.

You can text iPhones running iOS 5 all day - or any other device using iOS 5. But when you're using an iPad or iPod touch, you are reached by your Apple ID.
    10-12-2011 06:35 PM
    Imessenger really only makes sense for those using IPADs and IPODs. If you are messaging between two phones then it really doesn't make any sense to me what the difference is.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    10-12-2011 06:54 PM
    it's a step in right direction but its not even close to bbm. for the moment, whatsApp is still the best alternative fo rme.
    ladyc0524 and AJ_Watson like this.
    10-12-2011 06:57 PM
    me and my wife both use phones on the same apple id, it appears to be having issues registering the two as seperate entities. Am i alone, or are other people finding the same thing???
    10-12-2011 07:03 PM
    I have a small problem with mine and it's that when someone iMessages me it splits it's into a different chat and not the one with all my messages in, this has happened with the last two people that have sent me an iMessage but the one before that stayed with the contact and had the normal SMS's and imessenges together, so I then have to save the email address that sent the iMessage as a separate contact, can anybody help me with this. Cheers
    Last edited by Mossi28; 10-12-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    10-12-2011 07:09 PM
    Yea i mean i like the feature and its quick when sending a message..but i thought it would be a separate thing, not integrated with in the txt messages
    I think the point here is simplicity.
    10-12-2011 07:15 PM
    Anyone else underwhelmed with this?

I was expecting something like BBM where you could add people using a unique code. I don't really see the point if you have to have their phone number to begin with.

Am I missing the point here?
    What???? It's ok for you to get the BBM code but not the phone number ?? am I missing something anyone ??
    10-12-2011 07:15 PM
    It really bugs me that iMessage only works with Apple ID's. So why in the messages settings> receive at shows my number and I can add additional addresses? I just don't get it.. because I was expecting it to "just work." Weak

Edit: I just saw the photo showing the phone number searching for iMessage capability. when I enter my friends number it doesn't work, but if I enter his email it works. WTH?
    Last edited by CrzyP; 10-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    10-12-2011 08:12 PM
    If I have my imessage set up to my one apple I'd that I use my daughter uses and my wife if my buddies send me a message while they are on iOS 5 thru imessage everybody in my house will receive it??
    10-12-2011 08:13 PM
    If I have my imessage set up to my one apple I'd that I use my daughter uses and my wife if my buddies send me a message while they are on iOS 5 thru imessage everybody in my house will receive it??
    wow I will try to decipher that sentence without any punctuation... if you are asking if you set your whole families iMessage up with the same Apple ID, then yes they would all receive it. That's why Apple gives you the opportunity to create a new individual iCloud ID for each device. The iCloud ID dictates iCloud, iMessenger, Find My Friends, etc and you can still all use the main Apple ID for store purchases.
    10-12-2011 08:27 PM
    I used this on my iPad 2 and it is awesome.
    10-12-2011 08:30 PM
    i think this one will come in handy for ipad and ipod users more (like me) rather than iphone users who generally have unlimited messaging plan anyway
    Thats the nail on the coffin right there
    muzikmyke likes this.
    10-12-2011 08:36 PM
    me and my wife both use phones on the same apple id, it appears to be having issues registering the two as seperate entities. Am i alone, or are other people finding the same thing???
    you need to create separate iCloud IDs and then use those for iMessage. You can leave your store ID the same one you have always been using.
    10-12-2011 08:48 PM
    If someone has an iPhone and they never have their data or wifi on and are on OS5 and you send them a text, and it gets converted to an iMessage do they not get a message at all?
    10-12-2011 10:48 PM
    i said the same thing. it's texts with read receipts. Im hoping the elaborate more on it...

And as far as people saying it's so "less complicated" than BBM... A caveman can operate bbm.. ya'll just sound lazy lol
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
    10-12-2011 11:21 PM
    How do you get iMessage to activate?
    10-12-2011 11:27 PM
    As of right now, I'd say BBM is less of a hassle to get working than iMessage. It's easy! You just exchange unique PIN's. iMessage is suppose to work without having to figure out pins, emails, yada yada. Instead I'm trying to figure out how to send an iMessage to other iPhone users via email addresses or phone numbers but it's hit or miss. I though "it just works." I'm frustrated!
    10-12-2011 11:44 PM
    So if I am talking to someone that has an iPhone running 5.0 and I have their number and email address... at what point does the iMessage work? I have it turned on and everything.
    When you go to SMS them, the send button will turn blue indicating that they have iOS 5 & are able to receive the message. Otherwise they will just receive a typical sms
    10-13-2011 12:04 AM
    I guess the point of iMessages is if you want to text someone in a different country or if you don't have an unlimited texting plan. Like many said before, it's like BBM.
    So if I'm in another country iMessage would be free with anyone else who has iOS5? I'm assuming iMessage is not running off my data plan? (I'll be on CDMA if that helps to understand what I mean)
    10-13-2011 12:19 AM
    So if I'm in another country iMessage would be free with anyone else who has iOS5? I'm assuming iMessage is not running off my data plan? (I'll be on CDMA if that helps to understand what I mean)
    how else would it run if it didnt count towards your text messages?
    10-13-2011 12:22 AM
    Wow - it's amazing how confused people are

- just text people at their phone number like you always do. If they have ios5 AND have iMessage turned on, it will Automatically send as an iMessage. You don't have to do anything.

- if the person has an iPad/iPod just send it to their email address (which they have to have told iMessage to use). Then they will get it in all of their iOS devices and can reply from any of them (including their iPhone)

- IMessage uses your data plan or wifi. It does not use your text message plan

- if you send someone an iMessage and it can't be delivered with some amount of time (5 min I think) it will send as an SMS
    Last edited by Steve28; 10-13-2011 at 12:37 AM.
    10-13-2011 12:33 AM
    Wow - it's amazing how confused people are

- just text people at their phone number like you always do. If they have ios5 AND have iMessage turned on, it will Automatically send as an iMessage. You don't have to do anything.
    That's the problem though. I am texting my friends iPhone who has iOS5 and they get a SMS not an iMessage. It wasn't until I got by friends email address, that I could send an iMessage to his iP4.
    10-13-2011 01:07 AM
    how else would it run if it didnt count towards your text messages?
    That's what I'm trying to understand. It doesn't seem like it counts towards your text message if the other person have iMessage also. So I'm trying to see if this can be a free way of communicating with people who has iMessage when I'm out of the country.
    10-13-2011 01:44 AM
179 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD