Backup Woes!

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi!

I've downloaded the update just fine but my backup is taking forever and appears to freeze really early on in the process, the progress bar does not budge.

Any suggestions please!?

Thank you!

iTunes 10.5 on Windows 7 x64, iPhone 4 32gb.

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm just about to jack it in. Can't understand why the backup is taking so long. Surely it's just my data synced to my PC!? I'll wait till the morning when hopefully everything is back up and running as normal.

RuRandy4Me

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I backed up the phone also before doing the upgrade hoping that would hurry up the process. I've been backing up now for almost a hour and it's only at maybe 10%

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I was just reading that a guy shut everything off waited a few mintues then turn everything back and and seems to be working good. I'm going to give that a shot!

I also read that if you stand on one leg and rub your head and tummy at the same time, the backup magically works.

Simples.

mrsstratyRN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem and someone told me to use the restore button, did that and the whole thing took 1 hour to complete! It restored to factory settings, which is ios5 and then I hit restore for
Back up. Just make sure you right click where iTunes acknowledges your iPhone and choose to back up. That back up will take about 30 seconds and then go to restore. I have been on my laptop and iPhone since 1pm this afternoon until I figured this out at 9:30 pm. Now enjoying the new os and playing around now.

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem and someone told me to use the restore button, did that and the whole thing took 1 hour to complete! It restored to factory settings, which is ios5 and then I hit restore for
Back up. Just make sure you right click where iTunes acknowledges your iPhone and choose to back up. That back up will take about 30 seconds and then go to restore. I have been on my laptop and iPhone since 1pm this afternoon until I figured this out at 9:30 pm. Now enjoying the new os and playing around now.

Confused. Surely if I restore to iOS 5 without first doing a backup, I lose all my apps, music, settings etc.? Surely I need to perform the backup before I update, so I can then restore my backup once iOS 5 is installed?

reyrey127

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I waited an hour and everythig was fine. I kept getting the message "Restoring Iphone" and it finally finished.

I am on 3GS and everything seems fine. I am running IOS5 but I notice lag.

mrsstratyRN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Confused. Surely if I restore to iOS 5 without first doing a backup, I lose all my apps, music, settings etc.? Surely I need to perform the backup before I update, so I can then restore my backup once iOS 5 is installed?

I didn't lose not 1 app. Because after the restore I chose to restore from backup instead of "new phone". I have everything, pictures, contacts, apps, even my home screen was the same.

Chris_c81

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I didn't lose not 1 app. Because after the restore I chose to restore from backup instead of "new phone". I have everything, pictures, contacts, apps, even my home screen was the same.

I'm not sure were both on the same page or even having the same problem. Let me break down my problem.

1) I have no backup files on my PC. I had none prior to the release of iOS5. My mistake really, I should have backed up the night before.

2) With 1) in mind, I have to attempt to backup my device through iTunes now.

3) However, the problem with 2) is that the backup is taking forever to complete. I have not managed to get it to complete a backup. I left it for half an hour and the progress bar did not even budge a bit!

4) If I choose to restore, without backing up, then that will reset my device to factory default and install iOS5. That is absolutely fine, but I will not be able to restore as I don't have a backup!

I'm going to assume you already had an older backup done prior to iOS5 which you restored to.

Problem is, something is a miss which is causing iTunes to not complete a backup and I don't know what. It doesn't spit any error messages out, it doesn't even crash, it just goes on for what seems to be infinity attempting to backup but the progress bar does not budge.

THIS IS NOT ISOLATED TO THE iPHONE4. I'm having the exact same issue on iPad2.

I'm assuming one of two things.

1) I have apps on my devices which are causing the backup to fail/stall
2) The process of backing up accesses Apple servers, which are under extreme load

Or it's something I have absolutely no clue about.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner