Settings > General > Software Update

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the GM version of iOS 5 installed on my iPhone 4, and from what I understand, it is the same version that was officially released today.

Ever since I installed the GM, when I go to Setting > General > Software Update, I get an error message that states "Unable to Check for Update, An error occurred while check for a software update." I understand that there wouldn't be an update right now, but when I had iOS 5 beta 7 installed, I would get a nice message that stated "Software is up to date." I wouldn't get the error message.

Anyways, I was just curious if people who have installed the official release that came out today are getting the same error message. Should I restore my phone so I can get the official release?

gregorypleau

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
The servers are getting slammed right now. Give it a day to settle before you run out and declare your software defunct. There's two components at work here - your phone software, and the Apple update website.

The message you are getting could very well be an indicator of the traffic levels at Apple right now.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The servers are getting slammed right now. Give it a day to settle before you run out and declare your software defunct. There's two components at work here - your phone software, and the Apple update website.

The message you are getting could very well be an indicator of the traffic levels at Apple right now.

I've had this error since the GM was released. I don't think it is a server issues as the servers didn't have this much traffic when the GM was released. But you may very well be right. I'm just curious if people who have installed the official update that was released today have the same error.

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
there is no need to update the 5.0 GM release as its the same build number as the official one released today.

Build #9A334

Netherscourge

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the Public Release of iOS 5 and it's giving me the same error as you guys.

In fact, it gives the error the second I hit the button - as if it's not even trying to ping the Apple Update Server.

Everything else works though.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm just curious why you are so concerned that you can't update your phone? When there are no updates to get...

What are you expecting to happen?

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious why you are so concerned that you can't update your phone? When there are no updates to get...

What are you expecting to happen?

I am expecting a message that states "Software is up to date" like I did when I had iOS 5 beta 7 installed. This error shows that it can't connect to Apples servers to make sure I am up to date.

cdneeley

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I installed the 5.0 GM yesterday and had the same issue up until about 10 minutes ago. Now when I go to software update mine says "your software is up to date." Although I can not get my VZ contact transfer to work. But I guess that's what icloud is for right.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I installed the 5.0 GM yesterday and had the same issue up until about 10 minutes ago. Now when I go to software update mine says "your software is up to date." Although I can not get my VZ contact transfer to work. But I guess that's what icloud is for right.

low and behold, it works for me now as well.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I restarted my phone like 5 minutes ago and it finally started working :) my vz contact transfer hasn't worked since I installed GM like a week ago. How can I get it to work?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I am expecting a message that states "Software is up to date" like I did when I had iOS 5 beta 7 installed. This error shows that it can't connect to Apples servers to make sure I am up to date.

I see.

Maybe Apple has it off right now to keep as much server activity dedicated to pushing iOS 5 to everyone. Being that there are no updates to download.

drarif

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
i too had ios 5 GM until today, now i have restored from itunes,and when i go to sotware update it says
ios 5.0
your software is up to date.:D
i am very happy now. u guyz better restore as well. better would be tomorrow as the servers are going nuts right now.

diamonddialogue

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm still convinced it's only saying that because the servers are flooded.

EDIT: Yes, I am running the pre-release GM, and it's no longer giving me the error. It has nothing to do with the iOS, everything to do with the servers. Hopefully this helps rest some of your minds, I hope too many of you didn't rush to go restore over and over again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR