iOS 5 Findings, Issues, & Fixes

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know why my iMessages are not working on my iPhone? It works great on my iPad, but for some reason all I can do in the messages app is send text messages. My wife and I both got a 4s today so I know it should work. I even turned texting off in settings and I have them blocked via AT&T. Also, when I try to create a new message, it only shows my contacts' mobile numbers. Everything else on the phone works great and I am loving the notifications. Any help is greatly appreciated. I cut off texting since $30/month for texting in today's smartphone filled world is ludacris. So I am planning on relying on iMessage pretty heavily.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know why my iMessages are not working on my iPhone? It works great on my iPad, but for some reason all I can do in the messages app is send text messages. My wife and I both got a 4s today so I know it should work. I even turned texting off in settings and I have them blocked via AT&T. Also, when I try to create a new message, it only shows my contacts' mobile numbers. Everything else on the phone works great and I am loving the notifications. Any help is greatly appreciated. I cut off texting since $30/month for texting in today's smartphone filled world is ludacris. So I am planning on relying on iMessage pretty heavily.

R u trying to message a non iOS device? iMessage only works between 2 iOS devices. Otherwise if u try to message a friend who has a droid it will default to a text message.

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
R u trying to message a non iOS device? iMessage only works between 2 iOS devices. Otherwise if u try to message a friend who has a droid it will default to a text message.

No, like I said, my wife and I both got new iPhones today and we both have the same problem. Also, my cousin has an iPad which we iMessaged on with my iPad earlier today, but since I can't see email addresses on my iPhone messages app, I don't have the option to imessage him to his iPad from my iPhone. Since me and my wife are both experiencing the same problem, I think it must be something we are doing wrong, but I have no idea what it could be.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No, like I said, my wife and I both got new iPhones today and we both have the same problem. Also, my cousin has an iPad which we iMessaged on with my iPad earlier today, but since I can't see email addresses on my iPhone messages app, I don't have the option to imessage him to his iPad from my iPhone. Since me and my wife are both experiencing the same problem, I think it must be something we are doing wrong, but I have no idea what it could be.

What makes you think it's not working? Until you send the first message, your iPhone doesn't know that the recipient is iMessage capable.

ATX_iFan

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

I find too that sometimes within the message app I only see partial contacts. When I don't see the address I want, I go to the contacts app, open the contact I want, then select "send message" from the bottom of that contact, then select the phone number or email address to which I want to send the message.

Key here is start the message from the contacts app rather than the message app.

Raydelien

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Wifi Sync not working properly

I noticed that my IOS5 ipad2 and 3gs were being queued by itunes every few minutes even though they were not on the charger. If I had not had Itunes set to open when connected I may have not even noticed. But my devices were loosig battery life like crazy and I have been sick and not really using them. After I disabled Wifi sync my battery life stopped hemoraging, but I still dont think I am at pre IOS4 battery life.

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
What makes you think it's not working? Until you send the first message, your iPhone doesn't know that the recipient is iMessage capable.

I don't know why not. My iPad knows because of the persons email address. If they don't have iMessage enabled, their name turns red before you can send it.

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I find too that sometimes within the message app I only see partial contacts. When I don't see the address I want, I go to the contacts app, open the contact I want, then select "send message" from the bottom of that contact, then select the phone number or email address to which I want to send the message.

Key here is start the message from the contacts app rather than the message app.

Ok, that worked, but in the weirdest way possible. From the entry for my wife in the contacts app I chose send message and then chose her email to send it to, but the messages app listed her email without the @ sign. Somehow it still worked that way, but there's no way that is how iMessages are supposed to work. I don't get why my iPad messages app works perfectly (shows all email addresses and numbers for comtacts) and the iPhone messages app only shows numbers but no emails. That can't be right.

Kels215

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Locations

How do you set locations? For like location based reminders. i noticed it has "home" already set but i don't remember doing that lol. Any suggestions? Thanks:confused::confused:

gimpbabe

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I found a few glitches with iOS 5. I tried to remove one of my created ringtones by deleting it from the ringtones folder in iTunes, syncing then adding it back to iTunes and sync, but it won't go away (now I have two copies). Also, iPhoto isn't syncing my entire library - just have the past year (no option to change this and I had all of my library on my iPod prior to the update to 5). Finally, I'm not able to upload to GoodReader. It isn't showing the browse option. I'll have to try this next week on a Windows pc to rule out my computer.

Otherwise, happy with my new phone and the iOS.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
One new addition that I haven't seen mentioned is that you can now finally remove the keyboard in SMS app without have to exit the app. Simply tap & hold your finger in the message area and swipe your finger down. This will hide the keyboard. Comes in handy if you need to look a messages a ways back.

Reactions: gandhimaster

iVirginia

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Please help.... Before iOS 5 download, when iPhone was plugged into USB port in car, while listening to iPod I could hear TXT message alerts through stereo speakers, after the download I can no longer hear a TXT messsage alert through speakers, I have to hold onto the phone and feel it vibrate to know I've got a txt or email. The pphone ringer still rings through the cars speakers though. I have tried to set notification to old style alerts and still no luck. Been all through the settings and cannot figure anything out. It's kind of bad to get all these new features but loose an important one.

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have found two bugs / glitches so far.

1. If you turn off the location services for the camera in settings, it still records it when you take a picture.
2. In safari, specifically google and you enter a search in the google box, the "GO" button on the keyboard does not work, you have to hit the search button next to the search box.:eek:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Please help.... Before iOS 5 download, when iPhone was plugged into USB port in car, while listening to iPod I could hear TXT message alerts through stereo speakers, after the download I can no longer hear a TXT messsage alert through speakers, I have to hold onto the phone and feel it vibrate to know I've got a txt or email. The pphone ringer still rings through the cars speakers though. I have tried to set notification to old style alerts and still no luck. Been all through the settings and cannot figure anything out. It's kind of bad to get all these new features but loose an important one.

Maybe make sure that notifications are turned on while plugged in.

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
<disclaimer> First, I know this was a common problem with iOS 4, but my question relates directly to iOS 5.*

Second, i did a search of the iOS 5 forums and didn't see a similar post, and I browsed through the forum and didn't see any similar threads, so please don't flame if this has already been asked</disclaimer>

I know people complained about the unresponsive home button on iOS 4, and I also experienced it but it was very rare and it was never a persistent problem.*

After the update to iOS 5, it has gotten ridiculous to the point my iPhone becomes unusable. It seems to coincide with having a lot of apps running in the background. But it gets to the point to that I can push the button ten times and MAYBE one out of ten times it will respond. And forget a double click, which means i usually can't stop any open apps.*

The only way I can fix it, is a hard reset, which is often impossible with a nonresponsive home button. If I do manage to get the double click to work and can close some apps, then it will usually work enough I can do the reset. Or I just have to keep trying the reset over and over again until I catch it on one of the rare chances it responds.*

After a reset, it works smooth as butter and is extremely responsive again, but I've been having to do a reset about once a day toward the evening.*

I know it's not hardware related, as the reset corrects it, leading me to believe it's a software issue. And the open apps leads me to believe it may be related to low memory though I'm not sold on that theory yet.*

I've had this issue since installing the GM build. So last night I did a clean restore from iTunes with the "official" release and only synced my music and apps...I did not restore any setting or backups.*

Anyone else noticed this? Have you found a fix? Or am I a unique case?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox